Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:45 PM

14 posts, read 50,092 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

My husband and I are moving from a little town in Alabama to Chicago. I know, I know...major culture shock. However, I have lived in Rockford and other big cities here in the south, so I will probably adjust a bit faster than he. Anyway, my question is this: What clothing items are most essential for Chicago winters? We are used to very mild winters. (i.e. last Christmas it was 75 degrees)....so we need some advice on things we really need to purchase. Any other advice for relocating would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!!

-Haley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 02:48 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Just throw out your Alabama wardrobe and buy a bunch of black clothing.

I'm kidding! Sort of.

If I were you, I'd buy a more stylish winter jacket that is warm enough into the 20s or so (that will get you through most of the winter), and then buy a more sporty-looking serious winter coat for the really cold stuff and heavy snow. You'll also need some waterproof boots for snow, some gloves, a scarf, and a hat. That should do it. Other than that, just wear layers.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:55 PM

Haha. I definitely plan to throw out the "Alabama wardrobe"....

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:57 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Some people also like long underwear under pants on really cold days, but I find that more uncomfortable than the cold weather itself. I'd only wear long underwear if I planned to be outside for a long period of time (like a football game or something).

Old 09-15-2008, 03:09 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Well there's not cheap, but I love cashmere/silk blend long underwear. They keep you warm but aren't itchy like wool ones and they breathe well during the day.

But yes I agree: Get a fashionable wool knee-length trench for the cold days and a long puffy coat for the days it's too cold to be fashionable.

I'm all for cashmere scarves too - expensive yes, but much less itchy around your neck than wool.

Can you tell I hate wool LOL?

Old 09-15-2008, 03:35 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
Layers, layers, and more layers. There are days where it will be 20 degrees and snowing when you leave the house, and then 40 degrees and raining on the way home. A down parka that is great for going into work can end up being useless on the way home. Layers let you adjust for the different conditions. That said - it is good to have a really heavy parka for the days it stays cold all day.

An important thing to remember is that cotton loses it's insulating value when it gets wet. Cotton sweatshirts will be fine on a dry day, but are absolutely useless when wet. Down is the same - useless when wet. Wool and synthetic (or synthetic blend) fabrics are the best way to go. A good selection of wool sweaters is essential, and for the heavier sweaters you buy, buy a size larger than you normally would so you can put it on over a lighter sweater.

Also, buy at least two pairs of any mittens and gloves you choose to buy. You are guaranteed to lose some over the course of the winter.

Don't worry about how fashionable you look when the weather gets bad, everyone just wears what the conditions dictate. I've never heard anyone talk about someone wearing mittens and a parka that clashed, but I regularly hear people talking about "the idiot freezing on the El platform" they saw that morning.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Layers? Not really a necessity unless you have to walk/be outside for extended periods of time.

All you need is a nice, thick ski coat, a stocking cap or hood, Thinsulate gloves. If youre planning on being outside for a long time, add some long underwear. If its going to snow, add some snow boots or higher boots that are waterproof, simple as that.

I get by in winter with a stocking hat, some leather gloves, a pea coat for normal winter days (30s/40s), and normal shoes. If its going to be snowing, I wear my hiking boots (Timberland) that are a little higher and a waterproof coat (normally my North Face ski jacket). If its going to be ultra cold for a few days, I bust out the Thinsulate gloves, my North Face jacket and thats about it. I dont even wear long underwear. If youre going to a Bears game and its going to be 10 degrees out, thats when you need to do layers.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:10 PM

Thanks to everyone so far who has posted a reply. You guys have certainly helped out a lot!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:13 PM

Truth is, I own alot of winter clothes...we just never get the chance to use them here. Im going to enjoy getting to wear my jackets and stuff!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
As someone who has been here for a while and is originally from South Carolina, I can safely say that these items have been SO helpful:

-Wintersilks long underwear. They keep you warm outside, but breathe like a dream. I never feel the need to take them off when I'm inside.
-Any decent wicking socks. I like the synthetic ones, but I have a mild wool allergy, so I'm limited in my options.
-A 100% Cashmere scarf. This thing was expensive, but it was a gift and I have gotten every penny's worth out of it.
- Two good coats: A long wool one for, like those above me already said, days when you need to look decent. A serious ski-type coat for days when it doesn't matter.
- hat hat hat. Gloves gloves gloves.

Now, these are generally options that are warm, but also somewhat "presentable". On days when it doesn't matter, I'm in full-on outdoor performance gear. Anything that wicks, insulates, cushions, protects, vents, or generally warms is what I'll be wearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: