Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
The ironic thing is theres really no one to stop you from doing it on the L.
Well if someone was bothered enough, they could call up to the driver who in turn could have security pull you out of the train at the next stop. My experience has been if you sit there and drink quietly and inconspicuously and mind your own business, everyone else will mind theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 PM

403 posts, read 930,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I have had a beer or two on the Metra before, but never in the bar car (as they've been gone from the lines I ride for years).

I used to ride from Union Station down to Orland Park a lot, and there was one guy who would bring a cooler onto the train every day with a six pack in it, and I'll be damned if he didn't go pretty far towards polishing it off in the hour the train ride took.

He said his wife would send him to work every morning with the thing filled with six cans of soda and he'd drink those at work, and then buy himself 6 cans of beer and drink those, too. (In case you're keeping track, assuming the soda wasn't diet, that's be 12-1800 calories in beverages alone. Every day. Guy had a gut on him.)

I was in London this summer when they were about to ban beer on public transportation. Cans of beer on the double-deckers. Fun times.
LOL! I'm just picturing this guy...not enough exercise in the world that could fight that kind of lifestyle off..

Too bad they're getting rid of the bar cars, though....sounds like a great way to chase off a crappy day at the office if you are commuting out to the burbs. I had no idea this existed.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
You could get hit with a municipal ordinance violation ticket in theory if you were caught (which you'd either have to pay off, or contest in an administrative hearing). In any case, I'm sure many people get away with it as long as they are discrete about it. The key is not to be belligerent and pissing other people off (and not to get caught by cops or a CTA employee with an agenda).

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
The ironic thing is theres really no one to stop you from doing it on the L.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy2 View Post
Oh yes! And you used to be able to smoke in them back in the 1980's.Total haze...
I think you could still smoke on the Metra and for sure the South Shore until the mid-late 90's even.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy2 View Post
Oh yes! And you used to be able to smoke in them back in the 1980's. Total haze.

At Union Station ask for a martini in a "to-go" cup, and they'll give you a cocktail in a styro-foam coffee cup with a lid and small straw. Nobody will even notice it or care.
Well there's no need to hide it on Metra. BYOB is still perfectly ok. The coffee cup, however, is probably just a teensy bit more spill-proof than a martini glass.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:12 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
well, i am going to take the Rock Island home even though it is out of my way so I can use the bar car one final time...

Old 08-28-2008, 08:54 AM

142 posts, read 427,321 times
Now they are getting rid of some bathrooms. I have no problem with this at all, most of those tiny bathrooms were so small that I could barely get in them anyway, and I'm not that big.

Metra cuts bathrooms to add seats :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Transportation (http://www.suntimes.com/news/transportation/1131716,CST-NWS-metra28.article - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago