Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,664,980 times

Advertisements

I am making this thread on my own without the urging of the mods or anyone else. As the Chicago forum has many questions regarding CTA buses and trains as well as for Metra and other public transit resources, I felt the need to try to compact many of these questions into one thread.

Feel free to ask your questions about public transit here.Please everyone when responding to a post or question quote the person briefly or in entirety so we all know who you are responding to.

Hopefully this will work.

I already made a CTA rant thread a few months ago. CTA Rant Thread

Please direct your displeasure and/or frustration with all things CTA there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 PM

414 posts, read 886,080 times
Okie...will there be an expansion to the trains, as in additional lines or extensions not more trains, in the near future?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,664,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
Okie...will there be an expansion to the trains, as in additional lines or extensions not more trains, in the near future?
The Skokie Swift (Yellow Line) will get a new stop in the next year or so for sure.
cbs2chicago.com - At Least 1 New Stop Coming To Yellow Line 'L' (http://cbs2chicago.com/northsuburbanbureau/skokie.swift.stops.2.796280.html - broken link)

It may get an expansion as well as more "infill stops" to replace the ones that were stupidly removed years ago.

CTA holds meeting on Swift extension :: News :: PIONEER PRESS :: Skokie Review (http://www.pioneerlocal.com/skokie/news/1117702,sk-ctaopen-082108-s1.article - broken link)

Old Skokie Swift stops (a few the CTA wants to rebuild):
Chicago ''L''.org: Operations - Lines -> Yellow Line

The south end of the Red Line and the Orange Line are also on the table for expansion.

The process in Chicago is way too long;these expansions still have to clear many steps in the process to become reality.

The Red Line expansion has been on the table for decades.

CTA | Chicago Transit Authority - What's New (http://chicagotransitauthority.com/news/whatsnew.wu?action=displaynewspostingdetail&articl eid=124434 - broken link)

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-21-2008 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-22-2008, 06:28 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,244,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The Skokie Swift (Yellow Line) will get a new stop in the next year or so for sure.
cbs2chicago.com - At Least 1 New Stop Coming To Yellow Line 'L' (http://cbs2chicago.com/northsuburbanbureau/skokie.swift.stops.2.796280.html - broken link)

It may get an expansion as well as more "infill stops" to replace the ones that were stupidly removed years ago.

CTA holds meeting on Swift extension :: News :: PIONEER PRESS :: Skokie Review (http://www.pioneerlocal.com/skokie/news/1117702,sk-ctaopen-082108-s1.article - broken link)

Old Skokie Swift stops (a few the CTA wants to rebuild):
Chicago ''L''.org: Operations - Lines -> Yellow Line

The south end of the Red Line and the Orange Line are also on the table for expansion.

The process in Chicago is way too long;these expansions still have to clear many steps in the process to become reality.

The Red Line expansion has been on the table for decades.

CTA | Chicago Transit Authority - What's New (http://chicagotransitauthority.com/news/whatsnew.wu?action=displaynewspostingdetail&articl eid=124434 - broken link)
oh you mean like securing the almost 7 billion dollars they need to just get the system we have in good repair? then maybe they can worry about the expansions...

I for one am a fan of the Circle line idea. although someone at an RTA hearing said they would like to see it planned a little further away from downtown, which might be good. I would like an easier way to get to O'hare from Edgewater. maybe the yellow line could drop its happy little self down in that direction

Old 08-22-2008, 07:59 AM

904 posts, read 2,875,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
oh you mean like securing the almost 7 billion dollars they need to just get the system we have in good repair? then maybe they can worry about the expansions...

I for one am a fan of the Circle line idea. although someone at an RTA hearing said they would like to see it planned a little further away from downtown, which might be good. I would like an easier way to get to O'hare from Edgewater. maybe the yellow line could drop its happy little self down in that direction
Fo' serious. Why is the CTA so blithe about maintenance? And is it really 7billion dollars?

OK, this may be more like a rant, so, uh....the Red Line is pretty good! Though it's been slow lately.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:04 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,834,536 times
Does anyone know why the Red Line was diverted out of the subway tunnels this morning? What a mess.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,968,606 times
Money, money, money!!! Where do we get the money? Capital projects (system expansion) are eligible for federal dollars but maintenance generally is not (it's considered an operational not capital expense.)

Until we decide to adequately fund public transit, we shouldn't expect to have a well-maintained system. (The recent sales tax increase is a good start, but it's not enough.)

Old 08-22-2008, 08:16 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,222,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Fo' serious. Why is the CTA so blithe about maintenance? And is it really 7billion dollars?
The maintenance problem is due to Frank Kreusi using maintenance funds for operations for almost 10 years. The Blue line derailment and tie problems a few years back helped people take the issue more seriously, and the needed maintenance is now being addressed (albeit very slowly). Too much work was deferred for too long and that is how we got into the state we're in today.

The Circle Line is still in the planning phase, and meetings for community input (http://www.chicagotransitauthority.org/news/whatsnew2.wu?action=displaynewspostingdetail&artic leid=117176 - broken link) are planned for Late Sept./October. Currently they are looking at Ashland as the Western edge of it. That seems too close in to me, but at the 2006 planning meetings it was said it was a funding issue.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:29 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,968,606 times
I'd personally prefer to see the MidCity Transitway built rather than the Circle line.

CTA had two neighborhood feedback meetings this/last week regarding Orange line extension to Ford City and south loop green line infill stations (18th st/Cermak?).

Old 08-22-2008, 09:05 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,120,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I'd personally prefer to see the MidCity Transitway built rather than the Circle line.
I agree. I'm also a big supporter of the Grey Line conversion, which would provide more consistent transit service for the South/Southeast lakefront neighborhoods. The Olympics might be the impetus to make that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago