Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:40 PM

507 posts, read 2,062,635 times

Advertisements

Going to Chicago this week and wanna eat some of the foods that made Chicago famous like a chicago dog and decent deep dish pizza somewhere between downtown and ORD along 90. Nothing high-end. Thnx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 01:55 PM

61 posts, read 198,056 times
You're gonna get a heated debate on the pizza....... My fav is Gino's East, located on Ontario & Wells (downtown). There's a place called Al's across the street from Gino's with great dogs as well.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,046,892 times
Portillos for hot dogs & Italian Beef. YUM!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
One grossly overlooked Chicago culinary invention is the jibarito. It's a steak sandwich with cheese, lettuce, tomato and a garlicky-mayo sauce. Only instead of bread slices, they use flattened, fried plantain slices. You'll find it in any number of restaurants in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, but Boriquen at 1720 N. California is considered the top place to get it; it is generally agreed that Borinquen is where the jibarito was invented. They have two other locations along the Northwest side but the California Avenue location seems to be their most consistent.

One variation on the jibarito is the jibarita. The difference is the jibarito uses green plantain slices while the jibarita uses ripe plantain slices. The jibarita tends to be a little greasier -- for some reason a green plantain fries up crisper than a ripe plantain -- something to do with different moisture content between green and ripe plantains I think, which affects their ability to absorb the fry grease. I personally prefer the jibarita, but it takes more napkins to eat one.

Another great place right off the Kennedy Expressway is Smoque barbecue on Pulaski Avenue just south of Irving Park Road. By a long shot, the best ribs in the city. Maybe I'm biased since I live right near this place. More info
here.

BTW, does it have to be along the Kennedy Expressway corridor? I mean, there's some good restaurants along that corridor, but you're kind of limiting yourself.

Last edited by Drover; 08-18-2008 at 05:45 AM..

Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 AM

507 posts, read 2,062,635 times
Titan & C-Cubs:

Thanks, those places sound great. I'll definitely check them out. Drover - sounds OK, but, sorry, I'm not really into P-Rican food right now. I lived in FL for 8 years and I'll about vomit if I have another plantain - too starchy for me. But thanks anyway.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:37 PM

456 posts, read 1,577,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
One grossly overlooked Chicago culinary invention is the jibarito. It's a steak sandwich with cheese, lettuce, tomato and a garlicky-mayo sauce. Only instead of bread slices, they use flattened, fried plantain slices. You'll find it in any number of restaurants in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, but Boriquen at 1720 N. California is considered the top place to get it; it is generally agreed that Borinquen is where the jibarito was invented. They have two other locations along the Northwest side but the California Avenue location seems to be their most consistent.

One variation on the jibarito is the jibarita. The difference is the jibarito uses green plantain slices while the jibarita uses ripe plantain slices. The jibarita tends to be a little greasier -- for some reason a green plantain fries up crisper than a ripe plantain -- something to do with different moisture content between green and ripe plantains I think, which affects their ability to absorb the fry grease. I personally prefer the jibarita, but it takes more napkins to eat one.

Another great place right off the Kennedy Expressway is Smoque barbecue on Pulaski Avenue just south of Irving Park Road. By a long shot, the best ribs in the city. Maybe I'm biased since I live right near this place. More info
here.

BTW, does it have to be along the Kennedy Expressway corridor? I mean, there's some good restaurants along that corridor, but you're kind of limiting yourself.
OMG. The jibarito is amazing. The only place I ever had it was Borinquen over in Humboldt Park.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,815,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan 3 View Post
You're gonna get a heated debate on the pizza....... My fav is Gino's East, located on Ontario & Wells (downtown). There's a place called Al's across the street from Gino's with great dogs as well.
Go to the original Gino's location on Superior! It's not the original buidling (it was torn down because of structural problems), but they rebuilt on the same spot. That Gino's on Ontario is awful (former Planet Hollywood).

Old 08-18-2008, 10:31 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,207,301 times
To add on to the OP's question, my wife is Chicago for business this week and staying at the Hard Rock Hotel. She is not the very adventorous type, as it was a kind of a big deal for her to walk to down to "the bean" after she was finished with work today. With that said, she is interested in trying some authentic chicago style pizza before she leaves. Is there anywhere nearby the Hard Rock that she could walk to nearby for some good pizza. We are from LA, so she isn't afraid of the big city and walking around alone, but as you probably know, there isn't much walking here in LA and I know she won't want to schlep half way across the city for a slice of pizza. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to join her on her trip to chicago as I've never been there, but I'm interested in what she thinks about chicago style pizza vs. ny style pizza which we are huge fans of. thanks in advance!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,641,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
...Is there anywhere nearby the Hard Rock that she could walk to nearby for some good pizza...
She could get the Pizza delivered if she does not like to walk around too much...

Have her get "Pan" Pizza at either.

Ginos East
162 E. Superior St
Chicago, IL 60611
312-266 DEEP (3337)
Walking:0.8 mi – about 19 mins

Lou Malnati's
439 North Wells Street
Chicago, IL 60610
Walking:0.7 mi – about 16 mins

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-18-2008 at 11:03 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,260,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
She could get the Pizza delivered if she does not like to walk aroung too much...

I think both locations are about a 5 block walk.

Have her get "Pan" Pizza at either.

Ginos East
162 E. Superior St
Chicago, IL 60611
312-266 DEEP (3337)

Lou Malnati's
439 North Wells Street
Chicago, IL 60610
I wonder how some people I know are not impressed by Lou Malnati's pan pizza's. I don't even like pizza, but this stuff is awesome. It may sound strange, but their tomatoes are exceptional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago