Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 12,650 times

Advertisements

I am new to Chicago and am wondering where are all the Coney Island Restaurants? Anyone from Detroit (unfortunately) will instantly know what I am talking about. I think they would do great here; cheap quick food available at any time. Of course the coney dog might be at odds with the Chicago-style dog. Is there already an equivalent here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 10:32 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Most Chicagoans do not like Hot Dogs with Chili (or chili sauce for that matter) on them.

There are probably 1000 places in Chicago that have fast food like Hot Dogs,Gyros,Burgers,etc...

But I have not seen many that offer a Chili Dog...

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-16-2008 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-16-2008, 10:33 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,857 times
I thought he was talking about Nathan's...mmmm....

Old 08-16-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I thought he was talking about Nathan's...mmmm....
Nah, this is what I found:

Do a Wiki search for "Coney Island Restaurants". The link will not work for some reason.

"Another main dish is a Coney Island hot dog, more specifically, a hot dog made from beef and pork with casing, all meat, chili (no beans) made with beef hearts and spices that include cumin, diced yellow onion and yellow mustard. Variations on this theme include the "loose" coney, which substitutes ground hamburger meat for the hot dog (also known as a coney hamburger). When ordering a coney at a Coney Island, you only need to tell your server "one with everything" to communicate your request. Chili fries, covered in the same sauce as the hot dog, are a common side order. In a Detroit Coney Island, the local ginger ale, Vernors [2]] will also be found."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_(restaurant)

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-16-2008 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-16-2008, 10:45 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Nathan's and Chciago don't mix. We're a Vienna Beef town. And don't even THINK about putting ketchup on that hot dog! That will get you ostracized.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 12,650 times
Yes look up "Coney Island restaurant" in wiki. Coney dogs use Vienna Beef (probably from the same place as Chicago-style). It is more a less the toppings that set it apart. Chilli, Mustard (no ketchup), and as many onions as you can handle. You definitely will need to sit down with a fork and knife to enjoy a Coney. I suggest everyone try it at least once if they're ever in Detroit (for some god forsaken reason). I myself have had a Chicago-style dog at Superdawg's (first thing I did when I got here). The pickle was good, but the relish did not sit well. Overall, it was good. However, after a long night at the bar I still would prefer the taste of chilli and onions to pickles and neon relish. Do people around here often sober up with Chicago-style dogs?

Old 08-16-2008, 11:06 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,636,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilloway View Post
Do people around here often sober up with Chicago-style dogs?
Either that, or a polish with mustard and piled high with sauted onions.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:13 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Nathan's and Chciago don't mix. We're a Vienna Beef town. And don't even THINK about putting ketchup on that hot dog! That will get you ostracized.
Dude, I never put ketchup on a hot dog, Vienna Beef, Nathan's or otherwise! In my experience, the Nathan's hot dog is consumed with mustard. They may offer ketchup but...it's generally looked down upon.

I do love me some Vienna Beef, though. I'm gettin' hungry - can't we all just get along?

Old 08-16-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilloway View Post
Yes look up "Coney Island restaurant" in wiki. Coney dogs use Vienna Beef (probably from the same place as Chicago-style). It is more a less the toppings that set it apart. Chilli, Mustard (no ketchup), and as many onions as you can handle. You definitely will need to sit down with a fork and knife to enjoy a Coney. I suggest everyone try it at least once if they're ever in Detroit (for some god forsaken reason). I myself have had a Chicago-style dog at Superdawg's (first thing I did when I got here). The pickle was good, but the relish did not sit well. Overall, it was good. However, after a long night at the bar I still would prefer the taste of chilli and onions to pickles and neon relish. Do people around here often sober up with Chicago-style dogs?
Well Coney Dogs do not use Chicago Vienna Beef as far as I know. I do not think Koegel Meats has the Chicago Vienna Beef recipe-so I am sure the dogs are quite different. I cannot say for sure since I have never had a dog from a Coney Island restaurant. Superdawg actually does not use Vienna Beef (although the dogs are close to it), but Superdawg is still awesome.

If you want the sober-up Chicago dogs go to Union Ave just south of Roosevelt to Jim's Original or Express grill. They are right next to each other. Both are open 24 hours. Union Ave is next to the Dan Ryan (90/94) over there.

These places are among those that serve Chicago dogs the way Via Chicago mentioned above.
Reasonable pricing also. Free fries with every sandwich.

I once brought some guys from N.Y.C. (in Chicago for the first time) that I met in a bar to Jim's Original after a heavy night of drinking. They emailed me the next day and swore the Polishes and Hot Dogs they ate kept them from having a hangover!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Dude, I never put ketchup on a hot dog, Vienna Beef, Nathan's or otherwise! In my experience, the Nathan's hot dog is consumed with mustard. They may offer ketchup but...it's generally looked down upon.

I do love me some Vienna Beef, though. I'm gettin' hungry - can't we all just get along?
Have you found any good places to get a Hot Dog that you would like to share info about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago