Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 06:27 PM

244 posts, read 815,311 times

Advertisements

I may have the opportunity to go to Chicago for Labor Day weekend. Does anyone know of any events that a single female traveling alone can enjoy? I did notice that there is a Jazz Festival going on that weekend. Is this a safe place for a female? Also, any other events around town or sights to see? I'm on a budget so I am looking for free events or sights to see or at least cheap deals. I am interested in festivals, walking around town or different neighborhoods visiting different shops, and maybe trying some Chicago pizza if I can get a good deal. Anything fun and safe. Thanks for all of your help!

Also, how is the public transportation? Should I rent a car? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Ok, I'm getting too much feedback....one at a time, please!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 AM

95 posts, read 325,637 times
I think the problem with the lack of responses is that a weekend in Chicago is expensive!! If you stay on Michigan Avenue or close to the "Mag Mile" of shopping, you can get anywhere you want, and do not need a rental car. Yes, you will be fine as a female by herself. There will be alot to do, and it is a great time, but you do need alot of $$$$$$!!! Have fun!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:02 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,100,948 times
Don't rent a car, especially if you are on a budget, most hotels downtown charge $35 a day for parking. Save your money and either take a taxi or get a CTA and take the train and/or bus.

Check out Metromix Chicago | Your Chicago Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide for ideas on what to do. Or pick up a 'Time-Out', when you get into town (they come out on Wednesday and cover the upcoming weekend, and usually have pretty good listings of weekend events).

You shouldn't have any problems with safety.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the responses, you guys. Not sure if I am still going. I may just stay put and enjoy some free barbecue and not working for a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago