Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:30 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I'm visiting from out of town. Can someone tell me when the parade is, as I have to take the El into the Loop and then the South Shore commuter train to visit someone on the South Side. Would rather avoid parade crowds if at all possible. Thanks.
The parade is a back-to-school festival held for 79 years on the second Saturday in August. That means this year it will be August 9 at 10 am. It goes down King Drive from 399th to 47th street, so no el line or Metra lines are involved or importuned. Those who have never experienced the parade should attend.

79th Annual Bud Billiken Day Parade - Martin Luther King Drive and 39th Street - Chicago, IL Events | Metromix Chicago (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
Thank you, Manigault, for answering my questions about the date of the parade.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
I just thought that I have three friends who live on King Drive between 39th st and 47th st. (In three different townhomes). If Humboldt wants a safe place to watch the parade he should pm me and I'll see if my friends are watching the parade out their front windows.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 AM

127 posts, read 442,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I have been asked (required) by my manager to attend the Bud Billiken Parade this year. Are there any safety issues I should be aware of? The parade starts at 31st Street in Bronzeville, which is fine, but ends in Washington Park. I have voiced my safety concerns to my manager about Washington Park but am being required to go.

Should I just cab it over there or is it safe to park my car in that area?
[mod cut] Washington Park isn't that bad buddy, you live in Humbodlt Park for crying out loud. the residence of the Washington Park area is more afraid of where you live than their own neighborhood thugs

Last edited by aragx6; 07-29-2008 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: calling out mod

Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Humboldt Park vs. Washington Park

Where I live in Humboldt Park (near north avenue) is better than much of Washington Park, though there are some new condos being built around 51st street near Michigan Avenue.

South of grand is more similar to Washington Park, with idiots hanging out on street corners, particularly at night.

I will take my neighborhood thugs over those in Washington Park anyday. Thanks. I have been very respectful of them and for the most part as long as you respect them they respect you back, though I do not support a lifestyle in which people are active in gangs.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Where I live in Humboldt Park (near north avenue) is better than much of Washington Park, though there are some new condos being built around 51st street near Michigan Avenue.

South of grand is more similar to Washington Park, with idiots hanging out on street corners, particularly at night.

I will take my neighborhood thugs over those in Washington Park anyday. Thanks. I have been very respectful of them and for the most part as long as you respect them they respect you back, though I do not support a lifestyle in which people are active in gangs.
You live on North Ave. That even worse trust me the South siders won't dare step foot over there at night buddy

Old 08-01-2008, 01:05 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Mr Chicago

Buddy,

North Avenue is just fine so long as you are not between Pulaski and Austin. That is where most of the riff raff hangs out, particularly around Central.

North Avenue between Pulaski and Kedzie isn't the greatest but I have walked up and down this area many times at all hours of the day. Every other Saturday or Sunday morning I walk down to Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds instead of driving from my place and have never had a problem.

I doubt I could do this in Englewood or Washington Park. Along North Avenue, east of Pulaski it is mostly hispanic. The only problem I ever had was at Rockwell (2600W) and North when some hispanic gangbanger asked me what I was doing in his neighborhood to which I responded "this is my neighborhood too, I have a place over here."

Old 08-01-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Buddy,

North Avenue is just fine so long as you are not between Pulaski and Austin. That is where most of the riff raff hangs out, particularly around Central.

North Avenue between Pulaski and Kedzie isn't the greatest but I have walked up and down this area many times at all hours of the day. Every other Saturday or Sunday morning I walk down to Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds instead of driving from my place and have never had a problem.

I doubt I could do this in Englewood or Washington Park. Along North Avenue, east of Pulaski it is mostly hispanic. The only problem I ever had was at Rockwell (2600W) and North when some hispanic gangbanger asked me what I was doing in his neighborhood to which I responded "this is my neighborhood too, I have a place over here."

now you sound like that guy off of Spike Lee's movie "Do The Right Thing" yeah, I see you are just like everyone else in this city where they are scared of an area just because they aren't from there

Old 08-01-2008, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,501 times
Not only will you be safe, you'll have a wonderful time. Get over the hype!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Default Safer because it's Hispanic???

Quote:
Buddy,

I doubt I could do that in Riverside, IL ...One day I was pulled over for walking too fast (true story) or tha'ts what they told me.....I should have walked on the other side of the street (Berwyn,IL) because that side is mostly hispanic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago