Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 PM

161 posts, read 701,239 times

Advertisements

Everyday for the last year I drove by the gigantic undeveloped prairie land between Roosevelt and 18th, Clark and the River. It's a developer's wet dream and yet it sits there undeveloped. Why isn't this area blowing up like up the areas around it (Lofts at Roosevelt Collection, Chinatown, etc.)? Do the people that own the property refuse to sell it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,919,155 times
I think the city owns that land, and has some plans for it. A fellow architect told me that this past week when we were looking at it from a nearby high-rise, but he's definitely not a good source.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:03 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,755,642 times
I would prefer a nice nature related park.
I do not think the city owns the land however. The guy that owns it is sitting on it while its value skyrockets.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:51 PM

8,455 posts, read 12,239,268 times
I'm waiting for them to develop the old US Steel plant site at 93rd and Burley. That's a big vacant space on the lake.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,528,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I'm waiting for them to develop the old US Steel plant site at 93rd and Burley. That's a big vacant space on the lake.
Unfortunately, the cost of redeveloping brownfields is astronomical before a single brick is laid or even a single blueprint is drawn up, just to get it environmentally sound enough to redevelop. Not enough demand at 93rd and Burley to do it just yet, and probably not anytime soon either.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,739,901 times
The problems with the site near Roosevelt and the US Steel site are both related to SIZE -- even the broad "new east side / IC air rights site" north of Aon is moving more slowly due to how hard it is get everything done is a way that encourages people to spend.

In general a site that is so big that you have to put a mix of ANYTHING is HARDER to develop than one that is "ready and waiting" to drop in ONE building. I don't care if you are talking about a single house between two existing ones, a new office tower across from existing ones, a shopping strip between others or even warehouse next to others it is MUCH easier to get financing for the "looks like the others" and zoning approval, and ultimately to get it SOLD / leased.

Down on Roosevelt things SEEM pretty hot, but for DECADES many things in that area LANGUISHED -- RIver City is funky and was a NEGATIVE down there as other projects like it were proposed but went NO WHERE as the thing filled way too SLOWLY.

The US Steel site is NOT hot, and for DECADES people wanted SOMETHING that would provide "good jobs". Developers HATE WHEN THEY HEAR THAT, as "good jobs" means EXPENSIVE LABOR and nobody is going to start that kind of project -- people want "flexible labor" or a "highly motivated workforce". If may still be possible that SOMETHING nice happens down their, but it almost certainly will NEVER have much in the way of 'good jobs'... I think there were proposal to do a whole suburban style "new urban" style community down there. If some idiots would hit up Leonardo di Caprio, Al Gore, and Oprah I could see them doing that as some kind of grand "green Chicago" development, but there is no way that sane developers would risk SO MUCH in an area that has no much not right about it. There are no roads, sewers, water or electric in a City that has sky high Union Labor Rates that would add enormous costs. The land costs would end up making Glencoe seem cheap once everything was remediated and infrastructure is in place -- you need to reconfigure the rail lines to get folks to the Loop from there quickly, and then you'd have people crying that it is a sucking money from other needs of the underserved southside. Ugh. Can not win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: