Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:27 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
Aragx6,

Fridays and Saturdays my neighborhood fills up with wannabe suburbanite hipsters in their huge azz SUV's and take up so much darn space.
yes, we were those people all year - just not in an SUV thank God! Just an itty bitty eclipse. If it makes you feel any better, I always felt bad about probably taking an actual resident's spot.

Actually, sent the SO to the alderman's office today to get some visitor passes and they were out. Apparently they get some everyday and almost always run out by the end of the day... guess lots of people need them (though why they can't just print more is beyond me - paper shortage )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:07 PM

569 posts, read 1,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
yes, we were those people all year - just not in an SUV thank God! Just an itty bitty eclipse. If it makes you feel any better, I always felt bad about probably taking an actual resident's spot.

Actually, sent the SO to the alderman's office today to get some visitor passes and they were out. Apparently they get some everyday and almost always run out by the end of the day... guess lots of people need them (though why they can't just print more is beyond me - paper shortage )
I bet that eclipse came in handy to park in tiny spaces left over from 2 SUV's! I know my accord does!

I've walked down the streets that require residential permits and i rarely see those guest passes. The city probably ran out of paper so they could print the freshest batch of citations.

There are a few underlying battles in Chicago. Bikers vs motorists, Cubs vs Sox and parking.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:03 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,237,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
haha Yea if I could sell it I would. I bought it right before I new I was going to move which was about 7 months ago and if I sell it now I wont get jack.
ahh, makes sense.
my car was literally dying before I moved. in fact I had to bring my mom's car up here when I came to get an apartment. so no big loss for me - i just gave it to my dad.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:49 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
Aragx6,

My street is not permitted, but there are a mix of streets that are and are not. But the majority of them are not permitted. To make matters worse, Fridays and Saturdays my neighborhood fills up with wannabe suburbanite hipsters in their huge azz SUV's and take up so much darn space. It almost makes parking nearly impossible.
Parking in many parts of Lake View has gotten a whole lot better since the zone came into effect today in most areas. In fact, I could notice a difference a few days ago before it went into effect. Perhaps lobby your Alderman to get a blanket zone permit for all of Wicker Park?

Old 07-04-2008, 02:41 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Jason, what most people did not mention would be the culture shock. As a Chicago native that has lived down south for a number of years, (since 1988) I can attest that the culture shock will be significant. Firstly, everyone moves extremely fast and they expect you to, too. People there (in Chicago) are very direct, they do not sugar coat stuff (you might have recognized that already) but, you always know where you stand. They are big on their baseball rivalries, since you will be moving in you need to find out what area you are in to determine what team you will support. (wouldn't recommend sticking with the Braves) Working very hard is required, you will have more labor laws protecting you, but, if you don't do 110%, they will have your replacement ready. Public transportation is abundant and you really won't need a car if you live in the city. Everything is much more compact, expect to be VERY, VERY close to your neighbours. Talking to people (or "speaking" in southern talk) is unheard of and could get you mugged. Your southern accent will be a novelty and will draw attention to you, so, be careful with that, too, as the perception will be that you don't know anything. There will be literally mulitudes of accents around you, some of which are very thick and many people don't speak English at all.

When I go home now, I am considered "too nice" and "too polite". I have to toughen myself up if I hang out in the city...otherwise, I can be a target to be mugged. My friends joke with me that I have "gone soft" since living in the south, but, you HAVE to be down here!

This is not to scare you, but, a realistic view of what you will face. Chicago is a great place, lots to offer and a fantastic place to explore all sorts of cultures without ever leaving the country!

The rest...winters...YUK...traffic...YUK...I'll let you read elsewhere.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:55 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
Chicago is very urban compare to Atlanta, you can live without a car in the city. If you going to live in the suburbs and don't need a car, your best bet is to live in Evanston, Oak Park, and other near by suburbs in Cook County. I f you live in the in the outer suburbs, you really need to use your car to get around. On the good side the majority of the suburbs in Chicago have a metra train station, and it can take you to the city.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,385 times
Default Living in Chicago

Don't move here! I've lived in the Chicago area my whole life and it is extremely overrated. The weather is terrible from the beginning of November to the Beginning of May. The clubs try to be upscale and are very selective on who they let in. Only come with a group of attractive girls if you even want to get in. Rent is very expensive and the traffic is terrible. Everyone constantly blows their horns. The only reason that I live here is because I have a good group of friends and have lived here my entire life. I Plan on moving to Miami in the next year and a half. I especially wonder why people from warm weather places would ever move here. There might be a lot of job opportunities but that's it.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:53 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFORLOIN View Post
Don't move here! I've lived in the Chicago area my whole life and it is extremely overrated. The weather is terrible from the beginning of November to the Beginning of May. The clubs try to be upscale and are very selective on who they let in. Only come with a group of attractive girls if you even want to get in. Rent is very expensive and the traffic is terrible. Everyone constantly blows their horns. The only reason that I live here is because I have a good group of friends and have lived here my entire life. I Plan on moving to Miami in the next year and a half. I especially wonder why people from warm weather places would ever move here. There might be a lot of job opportunities but that's it.
It's 2014, my new account friend. The TS started this thread in 2008. I presume that it didn't take the TS four to five years to make a decision.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:27 PM

596 posts, read 821,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
It's 2014, my new account friend. The TS started this thread in 2008. I presume that it didn't take the TS four to five years to make a decision.
We also say "OP" instead of "TS."

Old 06-01-2014, 01:44 PM

318 posts, read 950,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
Pros:
-We are one of the best, if not the best, places for delicious and diverse food. Deep-dish pizza, italian beef, Indian food, Greek food, Chinese food, Afghanistani food, Ethiopian food, you name it we got it.
Agreed that Chicago is a hotbed for great ethnic-derived foods. However, I will burst the bubble and say that Chinese/Asian is not one of those cuisines. Having moved here from the West Coast, I am sad to report that while the Chinese food here is probably best in the Midwest, it is still subpar relative to West Coast cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago