Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 PM

5 posts, read 12,014 times

Advertisements

well, checked with the boss today, and got the go ahead, chicago, here i come.... now, all i need to is transfer to a new job, easier said than done

it's going to be my 10th state, and i think 22nd city... mid 30's, single straight guy, visited twice, abso loved it, just cannot wait...

I am thinking my best bet is lincoln park... any other suggestions? i have been using craigslist only so far... i want to rent for a year until i settle in....

i still like to party, rent is pretty open, office is in the loop, christ, i am talking like i am from there already.... go bears...

thanks guys!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 11:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,388,343 times
Lincoln Park is more of a "frat" party zone, more of a mid-20s party area. For nightlife/party zones a bit more fitting for your age group (and where you're more likely to meet women with something more substantial between their ears than dryer lint), I would suggest Lakeview, Bucktown/Wicker Park, Ukranian Village, or Andersonville. Of those, your commute to your loop office would be fastest from Bucktown/Wicker Park. BT/WP and Ukranian Village are a combination of indie artists/rockers and contemporary cosmopolitan chic with some hints of urban grit on the edges. (The record shop in the movie "High Fidelity" is located on the border of Bucktown & Wicker Park, and yes, you actually will find people like Rob, Dick and Barry in Bucktown/Wicker Park.) Pretty nice mix in my opinion.

Lakeview is a little less bohemian and a little more straightforward cosmo, but with frat-type partying around Wrigleyville that is slightly more evolved than the frat-type variety in Lincoln Park. There is a small punk enclave around the corner of Belmont and Clark, probably thanks to a couple of Goth/punk-rock head shops there called The Alley and Egor's. (Is "punk-rock head shop" an oxymoron? Can anyone else think of a better way to describe The Alley and Egor's?) Anyway, it's the part of Lakeview where you get goofy piercings and combat boots and black leather jackets and T-shirts with messages calculated to offend squares. I think that area may have lost some of its punkness when a punk nightclub closed down.

Andersonville falls somewhere in between the indie/cosmo mix of Bucktown/Wicker/Ukranian and the more straightforward cosmo of Lakeview, but without the just-plain-partying element of Wrigleyville. Not many punks there either. It's also something of a lesbian enclave but it's not a tacky gay ghetto like Boystown is. Unfortunately, the commute from Andersonville can get a bit long in the tooth because a lot of the Red Line tracks are slow zones because of their condition.

You're in for some good times, my friend. This is a great city to be young and single.

Last edited by Drover; 01-09-2007 at 12:25 AM..

Old 01-09-2007, 05:43 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,107,316 times
Define 'party' and I'll give you suggestions. If 'party' is going out to crowded bars, buying expensive drinks, and chatting up girls wearing $200 jeans and pointy shoes from Nebraska (no offense to Nebraska), then Lincoln Park is indeed where you want to be. If it entails a something a bit more interesting, then you may want to look elsewhere.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:22 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,795,903 times
I personally loved Old Town. I don't know what it's like now, but when I lived there, it was where once you were tired of the Lincoln Park frat scene, you moved to Old Town or the Gold Coast.

You're going to love Chicago.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:08 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,497,793 times
Drover has once again hit the nail right on the head. Lincoln Park is for the very young new-to-college crowd, but they still have fun and dont exclude yourself from the area ALL the time, give it a shot and see what you think.

Youll enjoy Chicago if you can handle the cold winters (well, not so cold anymore) and sometimes brutal summers. There is everything in the world to do, so I doubt youll ever get bored. Then there is the restaurants... my friend, youre in for a treat that youll always long for if you ever decide to leave the area. In fact, the food is so good, that most people end up moving back here just because of. Why live life hungry with crap food? As soon as I have relatives come back to visit, first thing we do is hit up their old favorite restaurants. Its great watching their eyes roll back in their heads when they take their first bite of REAL food. Anyways, between the arts, nightlife, dining, recreation, sightseeing, etc... I doubt youll ever get bored, ever. Best of luck and keep us posted on your move and how things are going.

Where are you coming from anyways?

Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,014 times
thanks guys...

when i mean party, not club scene, but not dives either.... upper end, more trendy, kinda my scene... im so used to paying 10 min for drinks, it just doesnt really bother me anymore...

im coming from oc... im thinking the west loop too....

Old 01-09-2007, 10:22 PM

111 posts, read 276,405 times
if i had to live in the city it would be wicker park hands down.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:06 AM

8 posts, read 22,218 times
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: