Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 12:02 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
I did a search on this site and only found a few threads about the tech sector in the Chicago area. Googling "chicago tech sector' isn't giving me much either.

We are moving. My husband is an embedded software engineer originally from the Midwest. We like Austin TX but also are considering Chicago. Nobody needs to sell us on Chicago, we've been there, know it's great and think the area would be a better place to raise a family than the PNW. I am sure there are some people that will argue with me on that but we have determined our personalities fit better in the midwest. (We are friendly and direct)

I am trying to get a sense of what the market is like for someone looking for an embedded software position working with engineering applications. In other words, he would not be someone looking for a corporate IT job. I know Motorola is in Schaumburg but my understanding the company is not doing well so I imagine jobs there would be nonexistent. Are there any other big engineering companies in the area that are worth investigating?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 01:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Motorola is the BIG boy, but they aren't the only game in town for embeded systems. There are tech recruiters that specialize in those areas. A whole range of firms need the skills your husband has. Even though Motorola is not doing well they ALWAYS need quality people for the specialized stuff. If he posts to Career Builder , Dice, Monster his mailbox ought to get quite a few hits...

If he has skills that would be useful to the financial markets that is the hottest sector in Chicago, very different than Austin, but a lot reflects the "money' here vs there.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:58 AM

177 posts, read 543,792 times
I know there is a ton of small engineering firms scattered about.

GE is also in town, so is siemens, and Northrop gruman. You also have RFMD, and freescale. IBM is also in schaumberg (though i think it's just a sale office). you also have Bosch and Kraft. dunno how many engineers they hire though.

Abbot labs is also in CHicagoland (i'm sure they would have some need for computer software people)

Motorola will always need quality people so long as it exists.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:26 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
GE presence in Chicago is largest in the finance/insurance arena, the old Heller and other similar firms that GE rolled up.

Siemens has some operations for the buidling controls/fire monitoring division. Might be worth pursuing.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
There are probably thousands of smaller companies out there as well. And web developers are always needed in support of the large advertising presence in Chicago.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:04 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,173 times
My partner's in a similar position now (and has been in the past in other locations). There are allegedly plenty of available jobs in the Chicago area but they either (a) tend not to fit in with what you want (e.g., people will start giving you advice on general IT positions, web developers, design, etc., basically anything that's not directly related to your actual position) or (b) tend to be with companies that do not want to actually pay you for your experience (i.e., they try to pay 'experienced' individuals what they would pay someone fresh out of college or with minimal experience). Your husband's best bet is to hook up with the recruiters/head hunters in the area as many of the positions they know about are not posted and they can typically give you a variety of options (usually with considerably better pay). G'luck.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
e.g., people will start giving you advice on general IT positions, web developers, design, etc., basically anything that's not directly related to your actual position
Guilty!

I just looked up what an "embedded software engineer" actually is, and I'm not sure where to look other than Motorola... And Motorola isn't actually doing too well right now. Does the job have to be in consumer electronics?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
No, doesn't have to be consumer electronics. In fact, right now he works for a company that designs and manufactures products for industrial use. Because he is a former military officer and used to work for the DOD, he also has some experience with defense applications.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 AM

MPC in Skokie does defense work. Textron is in Elgin. And there's also the giant Hamilton Sundstrand in Rockford, so you could split the difference and live between Rockford and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago