Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2024, 12:47 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

Thought I would share some really interesting Chicago election results maps.

My intention of sharing these articles is to focus on the MAPS. The GEOGRAPHY and how it compares with culture and demographics. Not about the candidates themselves who I know very little about as I haven't lived in the Chicagoland area for over a decade, but do go back to visit a couple times a year.

This first map shows the recent Chicago mayoral election results map. There is a near 1:1 correspondence to between racial demographics/culture and who voted for who.

https://southsideweekly.com/2023-mun...ction-results/

Majority White neighborhoods voted for Vallas
Majority Black neighborhoods voted for Lightfoot
Majority Latino/Hispanic neighborhoods voted for Garcia
Integrated/Progressive neighborhoods voted for Johnson

This map shows the breakdown of votes for Kim Foxx vs Bill Conway in the recent state attorney race.

https://sites.northwestern.edu/chica...0-primary-win/

The areas of Cook County County that voted highest for Bill Conway are in the far NW and the far SW sides of the city proper and the Southwest suburbs. Not surprising as these are regarded as some of the most conservative parts of the Cook County. The only suburbs that went more for Foxx that are not majority African American appear to be Oak Park and Evanston, though Skokie and parts of Schaumburg look fairly split.

Interesting maps, but keep any discussion civil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 03:36 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
Brandon Johnson won Chicago's mayoral race through a coalition of voters: young adults, African Americans, a sizeable number of Hispanics, and white progressives.

He was also endorsed by a strong political force, The Chicago Teachers Union.

Paul Vallas was opposed by the members of this union. Vallas was the first CEO of Chicago Public Schools, having been appointed to that post by Richard M. Daley in 1995. The CTU was against Vallas because of his actions as the CEO of CPS, in that he championed charter schools, expanded standardized testing, diverted money from teachers' pensions funds, and meted out harsh punishments for underperforming schools.

Old 01-09-2024, 04:06 PM

52 posts, read 24,126 times
Chicago politics has been based on racial and ethnic lines for as long as I've been alive. It's no surprise that a White guy would win White wards, a Hispanic would win Hispanic wards, and a Black would win Black wards. As others stated Johnson was able to form a coalition of different factions. Daley was able to win by uniting Hispanic and White voters. In order to win in Chicago you need a coaltion because there is no clear majority.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:58 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Thought I would share some really interesting Chicago election results maps.

My intention of sharing these articles is to focus on the MAPS. The GEOGRAPHY and how it compares with culture and demographics. Not about the candidates themselves who I know very little about as I haven't lived in the Chicagoland area for over a decade, but do go back to visit a couple times a year.

This first map shows the recent Chicago mayoral election results map. There is a near 1:1 correspondence to between racial demographics/culture and who voted for who.

https://southsideweekly.com/2023-mun...ction-results/

Majority White neighborhoods voted for Vallas
Majority Black neighborhoods voted for Lightfoot
Majority Latino/Hispanic neighborhoods voted for Garcia
Integrated/Progressive neighborhoods voted for Johnson

This map shows the breakdown of votes for Kim Foxx vs Bill Conway in the recent state attorney race.

https://sites.northwestern.edu/chica...0-primary-win/

The areas of Cook County County that voted highest for Bill Conway are in the far NW and the far SW sides of the city proper and the Southwest suburbs. Not surprising as these are regarded as some of the most conservative parts of the Cook County. The only suburbs that went more for Foxx that are not majority African American appear to be Oak Park and Evanston, though Skokie and parts of Schaumburg look fairly split.

Interesting maps, but keep any discussion civil!
The first link is the primary. The runoff was even more stark. What was astonishing was the percentages of the last group who voted for Johnson. We're talking 80% and sometimes over 90% in some precincts. Vallas did a very poor job speaking to white progressives. Some of that could have been age (progressives trend younger or Boomers who want to feel young and they thus favour younger more dynamic candidates). Some of it could have been because the Johnson campaign effectively painted him as a conservative.

Old 01-10-2024, 03:55 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Johnson beat Vallas due to a large part of Chicago having the Republican "ick". I know a lot of white people that voted for Johnson because Vallas is a "closet Republican" and they liked Johnson's utopian messaging for handing oppressed people in the city.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:05 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Johnson beat Vallas due to a large part of Chicago having the Republican "ick". I know a lot of white people that voted for Johnson because Vallas is a "closet Republican" and they liked Johnson's utopian messaging for handing oppressed people in the city.
Yes, I'd say that's accurate. They really got him on some comments that clearly made him look like a conservative. We'll see how Johnson does with business development, as that'll be key to funding the social programs he sold them. This is especially important now because he has to pay for the migrants. They should be formulating a plan now to entice businesses to come from other areas, as well as start ups and small businesses to generate tax revenue and jobs.

I also hope he's just playing along on the closing magnet and charter schools (or eliminating their selective enrollment features). Having spent years in Berwyn, I know it's very difficult to attract and maintain families who value education in urban areas. Those individuals tend to be high earners and thus pay higher property taxes. They will not send their kids to schools which do not have high test scores and have high percentages of low income students. They just won't. Since we're stuck with our unconstitutional property tax based educational funding system, magnet and charter schools are a necessary evil in cities with a lot of disadvantaged students, even though they might seem unfair to some on the surface.

If they get eliminated or watered down, then it will almost for sure push these families to the suburbs, lowering property values and thus revenues even further. Since I presume those educated voters who voted for Johnson and the progressive aldermen aren't stupid, I do not think this will happen. But that it's even being discussed is disconcerting given my knowledge and past experience with this.

Last edited by BRU67; 01-11-2024 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-15-2024, 09:33 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Well, just look at the congressional districts and their bizzare shapes, we all know why they are shaped like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illino...onal_districts

Old 01-15-2024, 10:11 AM

253 posts, read 122,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, just look at the congressional districts and their bizzare shapes, we all know why they are shaped like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illino...onal_districts

#'s 13 and 17 are particularly ridiculous.

Old 01-15-2024, 11:21 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
#'s 13 and 17 are particularly ridiculous.
Yeah, IL isn't the worst for gerrymandered or otherwise bad\odd congressional districts, but it's putting in a solid attempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago