Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 01:35 PM

735 posts, read 483,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
It is unusual, but he listed his reasons why, and I fully respect it. Those are good reasons. I relate to people who want an urban lifestyle that he's describing, which in this case is between suburban and fully urban.
Oh sure, I fully respect it all as well, whatever. But sometimes people (especially transplants like the o/p) just post here to bounce ideas around, so it's quite possible that's what this person is doing.

So with that I'll say that it's one thing to take your kids into the city for leisure time, whole other thing is to live there with them. More so with teenage kids. And even more so when you considering sticking them into a CPS school. But is it doable? Yeh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 04:52 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
The West Loop area has a good elementary school.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:19 PM

219 posts, read 135,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlitwanderer View Post
If you are from DuPage county your highschooler may be in for a rude shock when it comes to the school environment. Think carefully. This is a major reason people leave the city for the suburbs not the reverse.
Someone who is in the market for a 2 million dollar home wouldn't have a problem finding or affording a quality private school. They probably have a good chance of getting their kids into a selective enrollment school. Former Governor Rauner rented an apartment in Chicago just to send his kids to a selective enrollment school even though he lived in an extremely wealthy suburb.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:01 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
Someone who is in the market for a 2 million dollar home wouldn't have a problem finding or affording a quality private school. They probably have a good chance of getting their kids into a selective enrollment school. Former Governor Rauner rented an apartment in Chicago just to send his kids to a selective enrollment school even though he lived in an extremely wealthy suburb.
The Rauners didn't rent anything. They primarily resided in the City of Chicago at the time. They own two condominiums in Chicago, one of which was their primary residence for a time.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The Rauners didn't rent anything. They primarily resided in the City of Chicago at the time. They own two condominiums in Chicago, one of which was their primary residence for a time.
No they didnt, he changed his address right before his daughter applied to Walter Payton. His wife continued to live in the suburbs. After his daughter graduated high school he changed his address back to the suburbs. It's so blatant that he just used the chicago address so his kid could go to Payton.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...o-payton-high/

Old 03-24-2023, 12:29 AM

94 posts, read 104,243 times
Quote:
I agree that seems like the logical route yet OP specifically mentioned good public schools. Maybe a liberal ideology thing. I've literally had a CPS teacher tell me they would not put their own kids through the CPS highschool system and that it was a good idea to get out. Highschool is a totally different game then elementary/middle school here.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:57 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Oh sure, I fully respect it all as well, whatever. But sometimes people (especially transplants like the o/p) just post here to bounce ideas around, so it's quite possible that's what this person is doing.

So with that I'll say that it's one thing to take your kids into the city for leisure time, whole other thing is to live there with them. More so with teenage kids. And even more so when you considering sticking them into a CPS school. But is it doable? Yeh.
Right. It's sort of like going on vacation. You say, wow, I would love to live here. But living isn't the same thing.

Their budget actually makes this a very doable thing though. We moved here after our youngest was 19, and after being here a few weeks we felt that it could have been a really great experience having the kids grow up in this neighborhood. There are a fair amount of families around here.

He just needs to do a lot of research before pulling the trigger just because we have walkable coffee shops and nice restaurants.

Old 03-24-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
No they didnt, he changed his address right before his daughter applied to Walter Payton. His wife continued to live in the suburbs. After his daughter graduated high school he changed his address back to the suburbs. It's so blatant that he just used the chicago address so his kid could go to Payton.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...o-payton-high/
I'm sorry, but I have a personal familiarity with this situation, and this article and your analysis are incorrect. While what I am about to write might strike some as shady, people do it all the time—including my own parents. The home that the Rauners owned in Winnetka was their most taxed property in Illinois and they claimed it as their primary residence for those reasons. If you want to believe that Diana lived there while everyone else in the family lived in the city...well? They eventually sold the home some years ago once he departed office. There was also a political element to it in 2013 in that it was thought at the time that it was better for the Republican primary to be billed from Winnetka/New Trier Township instead of from Chicago. Attending Payton was a personal decision and not a status move that necessitated purchasing a $4 million condominium. If my memory serves me correctly, the other children attended Latin, also in the City of Chicago.

Old 03-24-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I'm sorry, but I have a personal familiarity with this situation, and this article and your analysis are incorrect. While what I am about to write might strike some as shady, people do it all the time—including my own parents. The home that the Rauners owned in Winnetka was their most taxed property in Illinois and they claimed it as their primary residence for those reasons. If you want to believe that Diana lived there while everyone else in the family lived in the city...well? They eventually sold the home some years ago once he departed office. There was also a political element to it in 2013 in that it was thought at the time that it was better for the Republican primary to be billed from Winnetka/New Trier Township instead of from Chicago. Attending Payton was a personal decision and not a status move that necessitated purchasing a $4 million condominium. If my memory serves me correctly, the other children attended Latin, also in the City of Chicago.
Rauner paid almost 300K to have his kid go to Payton when he could have sent her to Winnetka's school for free. Are you going to claim that story is also fake news from the "mainstream lying press" Point isn't about Rauner, point is that someone like Rauner who is worth over 200 million dollars was willing to spend 300k to send to his kid to Payton when he could have sent them to Winetka's school system for free.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politic...r-was-admitted

Old 03-24-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Rauner paid almost 300K to have his kid go to Payton when he could have sent her to Winnetka's school for free. Are you going to claim that story is also fake news from the "mainstream lying press" Point isn't about Rauner, point is that someone like Rauner who is worth over 200 million dollars was willing to spend 300k to send to his kid to Payton when he could have sent them to Winetka's school system for free.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politic...r-was-admitted
Now we are talking about completely different things. I was responding to your allegations that an apartment was "rented" just to get the Rauners' daughter into Payton. That is not how the circumstances played out. I explained the residency discrepancies as well. The family resided in the City. I don't have anything to add about the donation or anything else. All of that is a different conversation. You clearly have no ability to read between the lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago