Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 10:34 AM

44,376 posts, read 20,094,272 times

Advertisements

Folks, this thread has been cleaned up, deleting a number of inappropriate posts. I am reopening the thread, but please remember to stay on topic and refrain from posting personal attacks. Thanks.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:36 PM

219 posts, read 136,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
Why do Ppl 'Remain and Stay' in Chicago?
  1. One of the Highest Crime Rates.
  2. Cold Winters
  3. Old Roads and Driving conditions
  4. High Rents --- cost of living
https://heyjackass.com/

The rest of the Nation is scratching their heads...WHY?

Thoughts / Comments ?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-s...def4363c5a49b#

1. Chicago doesn't have one of the highest crime rates
2. I'll take Chicago winters over Florida or Arizona summers. You can layer up and mitigate the effects of cold, can't do that with 100 degree temperatures
3. Driving conditions are pretty much the same as any other large city. Roads look similiar to
4. Rents are comparable to other large cities, if not cheaper.

At the end of the day I can't think of any other places that i can afford that is a better alternative than Chicago.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:46 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,865,120 times
eh, people outside of Chicago LOVE that the Bears have sucked. Maybe it's just the Bears.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:50 PM

16 posts, read 11,825 times
New census shows Il another big loser of population from 2021-2022 (when the US population as a whole returned to slow growth.
Texas and Florida are really at the forefront of population gains for entire country.

For one year only the numbers are below. All loss and gain mostly a reflection of domestic outmigration as birth and deaths for most states cancel out.
NY -180k. Loss 0.9%
Il -104k Loss 0.8%
Ca -114 Loss 0.3%

Fl. +417k. Gain 1.9%
Tx +471k gain. 1.3%

Old 12-26-2022, 10:37 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,233,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanphile View Post
New census shows Il another big loser of population from 2021-2022 (when the US population as a whole returned to slow growth.
Texas and Florida are really at the forefront of population gains for entire country.

For one year only the numbers are below. All loss and gain mostly a reflection of domestic outmigration as birth and deaths for most states cancel out.
NY -180k. Loss 0.9%
Il -104k Loss 0.8%
Ca -114 Loss 0.3%

Fl. +417k. Gain 1.9%
Tx +471k gain. 1.3%
Still scratching my head at Florida. I don’t really get it but w/e. It’s their life I suppose. Also old people are always going to move there which is great but mostly short timers. But we are also going to be getting a lot of newly old people the next few years or so. So it checks out.

Pretty sure the census really messed up Illinois last decade with their estimates, particularly Chicago which actually did grow despite the moaning and groaning about population loss. So I’m taking the census with a grain of salt for every city, every year until 2030 when the actual numbers come out.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:41 AM

7,736 posts, read 6,482,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
LOL, I love the place but I tend to say Chicago is just North enough to have a bad winter but not far North enough to totally escape a bad summer.
A bad winter is one with no snow and a bad summer is one too cool to go swimming.

Chicago, and much of the Midwest in general, lets you enjoy the 4 seasons to their fullest.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:27 PM

491 posts, read 889,672 times
Ideally, I'd split my time between Chicago and Florida if I could. Love the beach (hence my screenname), but I despise the summer heat/humidity and lack of snow/winter down here. Great food and diversity in Chicago, so many things to do, can get around without a car, etc. Florida is great for being on the gulf or ocean, sea breezes, boating, scuba diving, fishing, etc. I'm glad Chicago is just a couple hour flight away for an easy weekend. Fly in, take the L into downtown, and walk/bus/L/Uber everywhere. Taxes and politics are what I don't like about Chicago, but it's an awesome city overall; otherwise I wouldn't go every year or every other year just to eat and play.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:18 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,541,348 times
My wife and I go to Chicago 2-5x/year and the only reason we don’t move there is that this is where our children and grandchildren live. What we love, more than anything else, are the amazing availability of wonderful food and a cultural scene that rivals any place in the world, esp. in visual arts and fine music, Its only competitors (London, NYC, Paris) cost double to quadruple to have a comparable life…and there’s lots of nonstop and/or relatively inexpensive flights to those places.

By contrast, once we discovered that we could never afford to live comfortably in the Lower Keys, we lost any desire to live in Florida.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:22 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,415,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Still scratching my head at Florida. I don’t really get it but w/e. It’s their life I suppose. Also old people are always going to move there which is great but mostly short timers. But we are also going to be getting a lot of newly old people the next few years or so. So it checks out.
Beaches, warm weather year round, it's a magnet for conservatives from all across the US (just like Texas), snowbirds, retirees, tons of southerners also relocate there.

Definitely not my cup of tea either but it's not hard to see why Florida is growing.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:11 AM

1,866 posts, read 936,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
1. Chicago doesn't have one of the highest crime rates
Yes it does, it's in the bottom 10% of U.S. cities in terms of safety.
It's more dangerous than both NYC and Los Angeles, which is why there's an exodus of people trying to get the hell out. Even companies are starting to leave, Tyson Foods is the latest to announce they're leaving Chicago.

And then you have to take into account that the left-wing buffoons running Chicago (and Illinois) are doubling down on their stupidity. Get ready for "No Bail" policies to take effect, meaning that most arrested criminals will be immediately released from jail after being processed:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/illinoi...xx-11670612626

Chicago is a great city with a nice aesthetic, but unfortunately it's filled with criminals and left-wing morons who refuse to lock those criminals up. Those are the two main issues with Chicago, criminals and lefty buffoons. Get rid of those two and Chicago could be America's top city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago