Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 8,401 times

Advertisements

We are visiting the Navy Pier, American Girl doll store & Lincoln Park zoo as a family for one day. I can't afford the hotels downtown so I would like to know where I should stay within 30 miles of the downtown area that is SAFE & reasonably priced. Thanks for your info & feel free to email me at [email]hsmith6867@aol.com[/email].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 01:08 PM

279 posts, read 759,712 times
You can stay near the airport. There isn't much out there, but the hotels are quite a bit cheaper than downtown and you can take the train into the city from there, which would save you a ton of money in parking costs, too.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:59 AM

75 posts, read 224,495 times
you might want to check out the Days Inn-Chicago-Lincoln Park. their rates aren't bad,(for staying right in the city), its a safe area, and you'll be close to the zoo, plus many restaurants and shops.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:08 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
What sort of price range are you looking for in terms of a hotel room?

With that info, I think we can point you in the right direction.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:21 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
You can name your own price at 2 websites. You won't know which hotel you are in till you pay online but I've heard they use the best hotels in the loop.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:58 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
I hesitated to suggest the "name your own price" options such as priceline.com since we are dealing with a family. They only gtd a "room" and you cannot even be gtd. more than one bed. For a couple, I would highly suggest it, however.

In reality, if the hotel is not fully booked, they will upgrade you in many cases to a suitable accommodation. I use them all the time with great results for one person (and sketchy with two, when the second is a friend, as may not be able to secure two beds in sold out hotels).

Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
I hesitated to suggest the "name your own price" options such as priceline.com since we are dealing with a family. They only gtd a "room" and you cannot even be gtd. more than one bed. For a couple, I would highly suggest it, however.

In reality, if the hotel is not fully booked, they will upgrade you in many cases to a suitable accommodation. I use them all the time with great results for one person (and sketchy with two, when the second is a friend, as may not be able to secure two beds in sold out hotels).
I don't travel so I don't use those sites. Doesn't it ask how many people in a room?

Old 05-26-2008, 06:45 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
What is reasonably priced to you? There are may sales on downtown hotels on many sites.

If it is for one day I cannot see how a 30-50 dollar difference in price is that big of a deal. You are going to spend about three hours just getting to and from the city...Time is worth more than money when dealing with a short amount of time.

Try Hotwire.com.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:23 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,400 times
When I went to Chicago last year I stayed at Hostelling International downtown on 24 East Congress Parkway. A room with its own bathroom is $35-$37 per night. A room with just beds (the shared bathroom is down the hall - plenty of sinks, toilets, & showers, like a dorm) is $31-$33 per night. I took the free trolley to Navy Pier, I walked to the American Girl doll store & I took the bus to the Lincoln Park zoo.

Kids can stay at Hostelling International. I saw some kids there. It's safe and clean. The front desk is staffed 24/7. The outside door is locked after a certain time so that you can't even enter the building at night if you don't have a room key.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:48 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal34 View Post
you might want to check out the Days Inn-Chicago-Lincoln Park. their rates aren't bad,(for staying right in the city), its a safe area, and you'll be close to the zoo, plus many restaurants and shops.
If your talking about the Days Inn on Clark street near La Salle, it closed a couple of years ago and has now re-opened as something else. It's still a hotel, though.

There is another Days Inn on Diversey Avenue near Clark Street, however. It's not awesome, but it's in a cool neighborhood. Also, you might find a deal downtown through Expedia, Travelocity, or one of the like. I've stayed in four-star hotels for $80 a night using those sites. Hotels that are typically filled with business travelers really empty out on the weekends, and you can often find deals there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: