Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 10:58 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
except Miami has a Republican mayor so it has the perception of safety.

The city of Miami, in of itself is fairly safe; it's the suburbs like Opa Locka that are quite frankly no-go zones.
A huge area outside city limits is among the poorest in the entire country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 04:28 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,217,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
The city of Miami, in of itself is fairly safe; it's the suburbs like Opa Locka that are quite frankly no-go zones.
A huge area outside city limits is among the poorest in the entire country.
Florida has more than its share of crime.

Even the "nice" areas.

Old 07-20-2023, 01:41 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I'm reanimating this because the Citadel move was in the news again recently, so I was looking for a Chicago thread on it to see what the local were thinking.

And no, the crime will not follow the business to Miami. The reason Chicago, and the other big liberal cities have crime problems is because the local politicians coddle their criminal class, and even pander to them for votes. So far, this hasn't happened in FL. If it doesn't, all the businesses could move there, and it won't increase crime. If cities like Chicago cracked the whip on the criminals, and kept them locked up, crime would plummet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEddy View Post
On fire and sinking. Crime will follow to Miami, and in another decade, you'll see climate and crime refugees head back north.

Crain's reporting that 2/3 of the Chicago office is staying, and 1/3 moving to the new HQ.

Btw, there is a ton of commodity and logistics companies hiring in Chicago: ADM, COFCO, BP, IMC, Jump, etc.

Old 07-20-2023, 02:43 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm reanimating this because the Citadel move was in the news again recently, so I was looking for a Chicago thread on it to see what the local were thinking.

And no, the crime will not follow the business to Miami. The reason Chicago, and the other big liberal cities have crime problems is because the local politicians coddle their criminal class, and even pander to them for votes. So far, this hasn't happened in FL. If it doesn't, all the businesses could move there, and it won't increase crime. If cities like Chicago cracked the whip on the criminals, and kept them locked up, crime would plummet.
Why are you resurrecting a year old thread? Was it in the news because of the insurance problems that Florida is facing?

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-ins...lained-1812418

Old 07-20-2023, 02:46 PM

No. Article below. I didn't feel it needed a fresh thread.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...te/ar-AA1e4yjH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Why are you resurrecting a year old thread? Was it in the news because of the insurance problems that Florida is facing?

Old 07-20-2023, 02:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No. Article below. I didn't feel it needed a fresh thread.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...te/ar-AA1e4yjH
Wow, that article is really fresh news, LOL! I guess the Fox crowd can't get enough of it. Anyway, hopefully climate change doesn't drive them right back here.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:18 PM

Maybe in 50 years or so.

Quote:
Wow, that article is really fresh news, LOL! I guess the Fox crowd can't get enough of it. Anyway, hopefully climate change doesn't drive them right back here.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:12 PM

253 posts, read 123,128 times
Yes, Citadel is old news. My weekly Crains Chicago Business publication hasn't mentioned Ken in any significant way for quite some time. And let's not forget: Ken hails from Florida. He is back home now (and buying up property for his gargantuan personal castle).

Old 07-20-2023, 09:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:

This is seriously -- and significantly-- bad news for Florida. FL just passed HB 837 to get a handle on insurance litigation -- a good step -- but the issue with rising insurance rates is beyond bad news for Florida. Residents are paying literally multiples more in homeowners insurance costs than other states, and there is no ready remedy at hand. In fact, it will get worse as insurance capacity becomes more constrained and hurricanes (flooding/storm surge) increase due to climate change. I won't point out the obvious, but it's coming. Unfortunately.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:44 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
This is seriously -- and significantly-- bad news for Florida. FL just passed HB 837 to get a handle on insurance litigation -- a good step -- but the issue with rising insurance rates is beyond bad news for Florida. Residents are paying literally multiples more in homeowners insurance costs than other states, and there is no ready remedy at hand. In fact, it will get worse as insurance capacity becomes more constrained and hurricanes (flooding/storm surge) increase due to climate change. I won't point out the obvious, but it's coming. Unfortunately.

I have been splitting my time about equally between the Chicago burbs and SWFL for a dozen years and own homes in both. A few observations........

1. Lax litigation laws have caused the insurance crisis in Florida. Statutory changes have been made that will help a lot but there is still a good deal of pending litigation related to Hurricane Irma from 2017 creating problems. It will take several years before the effect of the new statutes are fully realized. But as you say, a big step in the right direction.
2. Comparing homeowners insurance total premiums between FL and the Chicago burbs is a bit misleading. Not apples to apples. In Florida, you have two separate policies - one for "normal" homeowners and one for hurricanes. The "normal" insurance premiums are comparable in Florida and the Chicago burbs. My Florida home is newer and worth more than my home in the burbs but my normal homeowners premium is less in Florida for the same coverage. It is the hurricane add-on policy that causes the price spikes and what causes all the litigation. And that varies greatly depending how close to the coast you are and the age and construction of your home. There are a lot of people in newer construction who are off the coast who don't bother with hurricane insurance. I am in the "better safe than sorry" crowd and pay an additional $1,000 for full hurricane coverage. Like anywhere else in the US, if you are in a flood zone, you need flood insurance. Nothing unique in Florida about that.
3. NOAA has shown over and over again that hurricane activity and intensity has been steady for 150 years. There is no climate change effect. What is different is the incredible boom in construction in the area, including on or near the coast in areas that were not considered to be buildable in the past. Put yourself in harm's way and you could suffer the consequences. No different than people who build in wooded areas prone to wildfires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: