Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 07:08 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times

Advertisements

personone, now you listen here and you listen good!

You do NOT come on here and drop a fantastic recommendation and then crush us with a story that it closed!

It is sad. A lot of people, it sounds, had such great memories, for so long, with that establishment!

So what would be your next recommendation for someone to check out, for a fun experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 08:10 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I was going to recommend to checkout Dinkle's Bakery. Traditionally a German bakery with some of the best donuts in Chicago.

Unfortunately, after 100 years......they have closed for good. April 30 was their last day

https://www.dinkels.com/
Yep. Sadly they are closing and recently we lost Fast Trak in the West Loop!

Old 05-03-2022, 08:03 AM

102 posts, read 184,808 times
How do you all feel about taking the L train into Chicago (Rosemont station to ?)? We could obviously take an Uber, but thought it would be a unique experience, assuming it is safe.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:32 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
personone, now you listen here and you listen good!

You do NOT come on here and drop a fantastic recommendation and then crush us with a story that it closed!

It is sad. A lot of people, it sounds, had such great memories, for so long, with that establishment!

So what would be your next recommendation for someone to check out, for a fun experience?
I would suggest strolling through Lincoln Park and then going to the free Lincoln Park Conservatory. You could also go to the zoo if you like zoos. Beautiful this time of year on a nice sunny spring weekend.

I love donuts, so I would stop by Donut Vault next to the Merchandise Mart. My second favorite donuts in Chicago since Dingle's has closed.

I would suggest dinner in the West Loop. Girl and the Goat is a great spot, but there are also lots of other nice restaurants. If you like Neapolitan Pizza (i.e. thin crust, not Chicago Style), Spacca Napoli is a great fine-dining pizza/Italian restaurant. Great ambience in the Uptown/Irving Park/Albany Park area.

Sweat Mandy B's in Lincoln Park has a good assortment of desserts.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:44 AM

personone, good morning.

EXCELLENT recommendation in the Lincoln Park Zoo, if they are into animals/flowers!

I might suggest this, too: Take a round trip ride on the Brown Line to see different parts of the city. Sit in the front car and if possible sit to the other side of the conductor, so you can see directly straight in front of you, as well as the side windows, for some great views!

Old 05-03-2022, 09:19 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsb View Post
How do you all feel about taking the L train into Chicago (Rosemont station to ?)? We could obviously take an Uber, but thought it would be a unique experience, assuming it is safe.
You could do that. It would probably take 45+ minutes each way. I can't vouch for safety as it's been a while since I rode that end of the Blue line. It would save you some money over an Uber ($2.50/person each way). Your son may be able to get a student fare, $.75.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:13 PM

jbsb, it appears (although things can change drastically in the next 3 to 5 days) that Saturday should be partially sunny with a high of 52, and Sunday more cloudy with a high of 59.

I do not see any street festivals taking place this weekend. Although I DID think of another thing you might consider if you want to explore the city?: Rent the DIVVY bicycles. You can go on-line for more information. There are DIVVY bicycle stations all over the city.

Let us know how it goes! ENJOY

Old 05-03-2022, 04:56 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Quote:
I would Uber. If you want the L experience, you can take a short ride from the Merchandise Mart up to Armitage or Diversey and back.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:33 PM

474 posts, read 530,996 times
Quote:
Taking the Blue Line in is practical, but might not be the “L Experience” you’re after. Pretty much the entire stretch between O’Hare and Downtown Chicago is along a highway median or in an underground tunnel - neither particularly photogenic.

As some of the others here have mentioned, you’ll want to catch one of the trains that goes around the Loop. Brown, Pink, or Orange will be your best shot (though I’m partial to Brown because it has the added view crossing north of the river). If you’re worried about safety, stand in the front car behind the operator’s cabin. You can peer through one of the front-facing windows as the skyscraper canyons as you whirl around the Loop.

EDIT: I will also add that Quincy is a cute little station that you could board at. It’s the only L station with a 1920s theme (why it’s like that I have no idea). They have some old-timey signs and posters. You could board there and take the train to the Merchandise Mart station which Kmanshouse mentioned.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:23 PM

212 posts, read 230,779 times
Yea, but no, if you really want the REAL L Experience, take the Blue Line, transfer to the Red Line at Jackson, and take a big whiff of that tunnel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago