Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 12:22 PM

187 posts, read 185,289 times

Advertisements

How do they stand with the current war in Ukraine? And hopefully they haven't been targeted by Violence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 01:17 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,088 times
"And hopefully they haven't been targeted by Violence?"

Obviously if this were occurring it would be all over the news.

Old 04-20-2022, 01:24 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,336 times
There aren't any real Russian areas other than a few small chunks in both Rogers Park and also Ukrainian Village.

I haven't heard of any problems - the criminals in the city really don't care about the war.

Old 04-20-2022, 02:24 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
How do they stand with the current war in Ukraine? And hopefully they haven't been targeted by Violence?
Funny thing is that I always used to think that Russians & Ukrainians in America generally got along & were culturally similar. In some ways it's almost like Indians & Pakistanis. They do have a lot of cultural similarities & they'll even be quite cordial with each other here in America. But there's often religious differences & perhaps allegiances to that particular old country rather than sheer cultural differences.

In regards to you question, I think in addition to the north side of the city you'd have to venture out to north suburban areas such as Skokie, Highland Park, Buffalo Grove, Vernon Hills, etc. Many of the Russian population in the North Shore suburbs will also tend to be Jewish.

Old 04-20-2022, 04:37 PM

474 posts, read 530,461 times
Buffalo Grove, Wheeling and surroundings are your best bet. There are some vestiges of Russian-speaking businesses on Devon Ave but for the most part that community is in the suburbs.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:00 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
"And hopefully they haven't been targeted by Violence?"

Obviously if this were occurring it would be all over the news.
Not necessarily! Russians would not be as easily tied in with “racism”, the way the Chinese were, so they’re not as effectively sensationalized in the media.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:38 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Not necessarily! Russians would not be as easily tied in with “racism”, the way the Chinese were, so they’re not as effectively sensationalized in the media.
Knowing many in the Chicago media, some having Russian/Jewish roots, any violence against any Russians due to the Ukrainian situation would be reported. Word gets out in the community.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:45 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
I run into a lot more Ukrainians in Chicago than I do Russians. I’m sure there are plenty of Russians around, but in terms of enclaves in Chicagoland, you’ll find more Ukrainian. So I’m not sure what the tensions are like now (I know more Ukrainians than Russians).

I have not heard of any tensions. You’ll find many Russians in the North Shore suburbs as others have said. My guess is that there are no real tensions. Most Russian Americans aren’t supporting what’s going on.

Old 04-21-2022, 06:57 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Heck, Chicago even has a "Ukrainian Village" neighborhood, but no real such historical or current equivalent for Russia.

I know a couple Russians only- they are against the war.

This thread, however, is missing the main reason Russians aren't "targeted". It's because you can't tell by looking at a person whether they are Russian.

Whereas there were some idiots out there targeting Vietnamese, Japanese, Filipino, etc. for being "Chinese".

Old 04-21-2022, 11:22 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Heck, Chicago even has a "Ukrainian Village" neighborhood, but no real such historical or current equivalent for Russia.

I know a couple Russians only- they are against the war.

This thread, however, is missing the main reason Russians aren't "targeted". It's because you can't tell by looking at a person whether they are Russian.

Whereas there were some idiots out there targeting Vietnamese, Japanese, Filipino, etc. for being "Chinese".
Yes sadly the Russia vs. Ukraine war is a Slav vs. Slav war. Makes no sense at all but the political backstory is messy to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago