Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2022, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,765 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone
My parents moved from Garfield park to Jeffrey manor in 1958 and lived at 2156 e 97th place.
My brother and I went to luella and spent lots of our spare time at merril Park. I do however recall skating in the winter at Yates Park.
Of course we still have fond memories of fun town, Benny's candy store, Henry's hamburger and the swamp near the train tracks on Jeffrey catching frogs and snakes.
My brother and I remember being dropped off that horrible Saturday morning as our Dad was on his way to work and witnessed the tragedy of the medics wheeling
out the nurses one at a time on 100th.
That same complex is still there today FYI.
In 1968 we moved to Skokie however I know many people moved to Homewood or Flossmore I heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 09:58 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
There is another thread on Jeffrey Manor if you are interested in a trip down memory lane. For some reason I want to say there may be a few separate threads but not finding them now.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chic...rey-manor.html

Old 03-09-2022, 06:16 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
As a neighborhood, the Manor is still there. Folks who have moved there say it is quiet and tranquil. Now the archdiocese has closed down the parish Our Lady Gate of Heaven, so some things have changed. Several streets have speed bumps so the hot rodders cannot run wild. There are still wild critters in all the backyards and I have seen garter snakes under some of the garbage dumpsters.

It is a nice place where one can ride a Divvy bike to the Metra station a mile away or take the 14 Jump bus downtown or the #100 to the red line. Kids still walk to school around there and Yates park is still a pleasant enclave in the city. The library branch still functions on 100th street if you want to use some computers or find a book.

The weirdest thing I saw recently is that they fixed the sidewalk on 95th street from Torrence almost all the way to Jeffrey; maybe half a mile. This must have cost umpteen thousands of city dollars. The problem is that almost no one walks on it! Go figure.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:57 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I'm trying to wrap my mind around what planet you've been living on. The Manor since the late 60's until today is rife with shootings, domestic violence, drugs and gangs. it's never improved but on average been quite a nightmare. The rare occasions I've checked, there have been ongoing gang shootings and even innocent kids killed in parks such as Bensley Park and more. So how is it you paint a picture of a thriving neighborhood renewing itself when that's not reality at all?

Old 03-29-2022, 04:21 PM

Well, I recently lived there near Bensley Park for years. I enjoyed the area.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
The Manor since the late 60's until today is rife with shootings, domestic violence, drugs and gangs. it's never improved but on average been quite a nightmare.
Well, I lived there for years until a few years ago and that was not my experience at all. People actually find the area boring because not much is going on.

since I still have friends there, I am in the neighborhood at least every month. Gang shootings are rare -- it is like other areas on the osuth side.
Quote:
So how is it you paint a picture of a thriving neighborhood renewing itself ...
Empiricism, bud.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:05 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Well, I lived there for years until a few years ago and that was not my experience at all. People actually find the area boring because not much is going on.

since I still have friends there, I am in the neighborhood at least every month. Gang shootings are rare -- it is like other areas on the osuth side.

Empiricism, bud.
So I guess it's "Empiricism" to list the following (and hope it sticks as it's real).

https://ground.news/article/robber-f...y-manor-police

https://news.yahoo.com/1-dead-1-inju...160839048.html

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/2-...-jeffery-manor

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/te...hooting-police

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ice/ar-AAMonqY

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/...jeffrey-manor/

Sorry but it's not my assumptions that neighborhood is off limits to anyone that plans on a nice long life. But you go right ahead and live in denial. Hopefully the wrong people don't come around you.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
So I guess it's "Empiricism" to list the following (and hope it sticks as it's real).
You have about 3 incidents there in a 2 year period and 1 could be called domestic violence.

That sounds like Hyde Park to me. Let's try to accentuate the positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago