Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,049 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I'm 23 and starting a new job in Ellk Grove Village. I will need my car as I will be doing sales calls in and around the suburbs. I was told to look at Linc. Park and Wrigleyville but find they don't match my $775 to $850, 1 br. price tag. I'm also looking for heat and on street parking. Roscoe Village and Ravenswood looked good until I read about the commute. If I go to Cumberland or Park Ridge the commute still looks bad. Can I go to Des Plaines or any other areas that still allow me city life? Can you live in the suburbs to the north and go west and down to Elk Grove or is that too congested? Some one posted that Lisle had a good group of singles with lots of activities. Would that be a possible commute to Elk Grove? Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated!!! I went to school in Newton, MA and we spent most weekends in Boston. I enjoy city life but I don't want an hour commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 06:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,824,368 times
Um, it's a big jump from Ravenswood to Park Ridge! The commute to/from downtown in Ravenswood and Roscoe Village are not bad at all. Des Plaines would be utter expressway hell!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,651,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Um, it's a big jump from Ravenswood to Park Ridge! The commute to/from downtown in Ravenswood and Roscoe Village are not bad at all. Des Plaines would be utter expressway hell!
But you do not have to take an expressway to get to Elk Grove from Des Plaines or Park Ridge.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:56 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,824,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
But you do not have to take an expressway to get to Elk Grove from Des Plaines or Park Ridge.
Oops, missed that "Elk Grove Village" part.

In that case, you could try Bucktown or something out on the Northwest Side... If you stick to the Blue Line, you'll be quite well-connected to some hip neighborhoods and downtown.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,651,795 times
Edison Park and parts of Norwood Park are actually not too bad for nightlife. But it aint the booty thumping kind.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,273,750 times
There's several threads dealing with the commute to Elk Grove... hopefully these will answer your questions. Check these out and let us know if you have any more questions. But it would be worth knowing: do you know your coverage area? And how often will you be commuting to your coverage area versus commuting to Elk Grove?

Anyway, "Chicago to Elk Grove Commute" threads below:

Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,296,310 times
Park Ridge Is only a short commute from Elk Grove and is right by Chicago. It's a beautiful city and a few minutes to the Loop. Going into the city though, like Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park, would cause you to dramatically increase your commute time.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:18 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
The CTA and Metra are both good options from Park Ridge or other NW side spots -- not just for work, but also for 'entertainment'. That said, I think that going just a little bit farther into the City, like Edison Park or Jefferson Park, would have some better "afterwork but still close to my apartment" options for bars and such. PR is pretty family oriented. The added distance to work is probably worth it for a single guy... The tough thing will probably be the finding an apartment that is quiet but still close to places to eat and such for $850 -- that is not impossible, but will require some leg work.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,049 times
Thanks everyone. I had read all the threads you sent me Drover, thanks. This is turning into a nightmare. We had decided on June 14th as my start date, I didn't even think about leases starting on the first on the month. I've looked for temp. residence and the cheapest I can find is $1400, way out of my league. I'm trying to renegotiate a start date of July1 and I would fly out on 6/28 and just have to cram apartment hunting into 3 days. I don't know about how often I'll be going to the office. I'm actually back in Mass. from 7/14 to 8/11 then in Chicago for 4 wks. then back to Mass. for 3 wks. That's why I was trying for the temp. housing. I'll be in training untill the middle of Jan. and it looks like I'll be going to the office everyday for the first hour or so. Has anyone rented and not actually been there, used internet for pictures and the word of the landlord or management company? I was hoping to find something that I could stay in for the three years I'm in Chicago but maybe I just need to realize that at the end of one year I can move if I need to. Thanks again and if anyone has any more thoughts on this move feel free to jump in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago