Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 08:27 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times

Advertisements

hendersj31, thank you for sharing.

THANK YOU to anyone who has been contributing, as I am seeking your honest opinions, and I appreciate the conversation.

hendersj31, YES, the power of choice is a wonderful thing. Choice. Freedom. All of that.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 08:29 AM

So FOR FUN, where would be MY best community neighborhood or suburb????

Mexican and Croatian

Speaks English, Spanish, and some Korean

Roman Catholic

Very Handsome

Old 02-09-2022, 11:22 AM

904 posts, read 665,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
So FOR FUN, where would be MY best community neighborhood or suburb????

Mexican and Croatian

Speaks English, Spanish, and some Korean

Roman Catholic

Very Handsome
I think Portage or Jefferson Park might work well. Northcenter because you like to bike so much?

Old 02-09-2022, 11:37 AM

EllieKay56, thank you... I do enjoy all the areas you listed, for different reasons.

And yes, I do enjoy bicycling...

And hopefully for the 4th criteria, thst of me being Very Handsome, would make me a good fit in any of the three areas you recommended!!!!

Old 02-09-2022, 01:31 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kmanshouse, good day!

You said "their own kind" and that makes me a sad, because I wish people could just live in peace with the "Human Kind" where it doesn't matter the skin color, religion, etc.

For example, I do not know the religion of ANY of my neighbors, except the man next door who flies the flag of Israel. But as a Catholic, if I found out all my neighbors were Jewish and Methodist (or whatever), I guess I wouldn't feel the need to move.

If I look at the faces of my neighbors, I could GUESS that there is a blend of very light color faces, very dark colored faces, and tan colored faces. The neighbors to the south and directly across from me are Puerto Rican.

Well, hopefully we can all do our best to get along....
Yep. This is just human nature - something I've observed in my many years....and as we get more mixed and more diverse, it's faded a little but the general nature is still there in a lot of people.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:38 PM

Kmanshouse, hoping all is well.

There is some diversity to the Lincoln Square neighborhood, which I believe you are familiar!

I do enjoy that area, and people from different backgrounds SEEM to be neighborly?

Old 02-09-2022, 02:54 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Master Jay

I think you really underestimate the discomfort and sometimes the outright hostility people can encounter when they move into a neighborhood where few share the same ethnicity, which is why they come onto these boards and mention their ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation.

Black Americans, obviously, have faced this problem forever. In some parts of the West the prejudice against Native Americans is very high. We have recently seen a rise in bias against Asian-Americans in many cities, including my own--especially as neighborhood demographics change. There are still plenty of places in the U.S. where gay people would get the cold shoulder, or worse, as well as neighborhoods where Jews, even more secular Jews, would feel pretty much left out of things. Lastly, there are also strong, stable "minority" neighborhoods where white people would feel uncomfortable, even if their neighbors are of the same economic class. And in the last ten years or so, plenty of people have expressed desires to specifically live in a left- or right-leaning neighborhood because they would feel discomfort living with people of different political beliefs.

So sometimes one's neighborhood choice is driven by ignorance, pure prejudice and stereotyping, for sure. But sometimes it is driven by the desire for safety, acceptance (not mere toleration), or a specific desire to live in a neighborhood that is different or diverse. When I see these queries on CD asking about neighborhood ethnicity/sexual orientation/politics, I try to discern whether it is someone looking out for the former or the latter.

Personally I like mixed neighborhoods. As prices have gone up, there are fewer black people than there were a decade ago where I live now, but it is still a reasonably diverse part of the Upper West Side. When I am in Chicago, most of my relatives are in Hyde Park, which I think is a wonderful neighborhood. Don't know the city well enough to recommend a neighborhood for you, but you sound like the type of guy who would do well almost anywhere!

Last edited by citylove101; 02-09-2022 at 03:10 PM..

Old 02-09-2022, 03:34 PM

citylove10, a well thought out response.

Thank you for sharing.

Wishing you well.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:29 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
I just saw this. Great question Master Jay! My opinion on this is that Chicago is too segregated, especially today when the City votes so progressively and recently protested so violently over social injustice. Segregation was always bad, but back in the old days when the City was still largely ethnic working class and not as highly educated, I guess I could somewhat understand it, though not condone it. But for it to still exist like it does now goes well beyond that into a realm that is at best mind bogglingly hypocritical, if not outright insidous and evil.

So I'm going to join dtyfygiu's "live where you like" approach, and I am never going to make recommendations that perpetuate segregation. That won't stop it, but I'll sleep better at night by not helping perpetuate the BS.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:39 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
I honestly believe that a lot of those posts are generated by bots, Master Jay. For a while, you'd have thought that there were a million plus gay men moving to Chicago based on the volume of threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago