Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 07:48 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times

Advertisements

I lived there the first 9 months I lived in Chicago and it was a blast. Parking sucks though, so if you have a car, consider paying for a spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 09:02 AM

10 posts, read 7,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I lived in the area for over 5 years from 25-30. Will you have a car? My biggest problem with being there on game days was that traffic was terrrrrrible. It was difficult to get around before or after the game. If you don't plan on driving, the foot traffic can be niussance but it wasn't a huge deal. I've never seen many issues on game days. Usually the worst you'll see is someone peeing in an alley or girls crying for whatever reason.

I would say the pros of being able to go watch the game with a bunch of rowdy fans outweighs any of the cons I experienced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I lived there the first 9 months I lived in Chicago and it was a blast. Parking sucks though, so if you have a car, consider paying for a spot.
No car, so luckily I wouldn't have to deal with that issue! Do bus routes get diverted? Does the 22 still come regularly during games? Also to get a lyft/uber I guess I'd have to walk to Halsted or Racine? Or further west?

Old 02-08-2022, 09:44 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowner123 View Post
There is a new modern apartment building across the street from Wrigley on Addison between Clark and Sheffield. The units have very good soundproofing, so noise levels aren't a concern. But how would living in that area be? I understand it can get rowdy with a lot of drunk people. Can anyone who has spent a lot of time in that area or who lives nearby speak to what it's like living in that area and if it would be miserable or not really that bad? I appreciate any insight.
I've lived within a block and am a Cubs season ticket holder in my late 20s. Never again. Just not my cup of tea.

That apartment building was built with much fanfare, but the units have not been popular and enjoy very high vacancy rates. The rents are too high for the area and there is a very limited number of people who actually want to live directly across from the ultra busy south end of Wrigley Field.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I've lived within a block and am a Cubs season ticket holder in my late 20s. Never again. Just not my cup of tea.

That apartment building was built with much fanfare, but the units have not been popular and enjoy very high vacancy rates. The rents are too high for the area and there is a very limited number of people who actually want to live directly across from the ultra busy south end of Wrigley Field.
Oh damn that's a bummer to hear. Just too many people around so it was overwhelming? They actually don't have that many vacant units right now. Similar vacancies as high rises in River North. Also they are offering big discounts right now which make it a bit more appealing.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:41 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Oh damn that's a bummer to hear. Just too many people around so it was overwhelming? They actually don't have that many vacant units right now. Similar vacancies as high rises in River North. Also they are offering big discounts right now which make it a bit more appealing.
That whole area around Wrigleyville and Boystown, particularly between Clark to Broadway is full of intoxicated people and petty criminals on a regular basis and pretty much nightly during the summer. Nightly fights in the street and even on side streets, drunk people sideswiping parked cars, and frequent muggings. If that's what you want to be around when you've been working and are trying to relax at home, then by all means. If not, you can live in a Lake View neighborhood like Southport Corridor or Roscoe Village and enjoy the proximity while not having so much of the riffraff.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
That whole area around Wrigleyville and Boystown, particularly between Clark to Broadway is full of intoxicated people and petty criminals on a regular basis and pretty much nightly during the summer. Nightly fights in the street and even on side streets, drunk people sideswiping parked cars, and frequent muggings. If that's what you want to be around when you've been working and are trying to relax at home, then by all means. If not, you can live in a Lake View neighborhood like Southport Corridor or Roscoe Village and enjoy the proximity while not having so much of the riffraff.
I see. Well my dilemna is I want to be walking distance to Boystown and want a modern building. Your description of the area doesn't sound great though lol

Old 02-08-2022, 11:04 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Quote:
I see. Well my dilemna is I want to be walking distance to Boystown and want a modern building. Your description of the area doesn't sound great though lol
Again, I lived in the area for 5 years and attended many cubs games, celebrated birthdays, bachelor parties, or new years in the area. I lived at Addison and Lakeshore and Irving Park and Lakeshore. I never witnessed much riffraff and have certainly never been involved personally. I don't think it's a huge concern, personally.

If you do find yourself doubting the area directly around Wrigley, you can always move east towards Lakeview East. There is a brand new building at the former site of Treasure Island at Broadway and Stratford called Optima Lakeview.
https://www.optimalakeview.com/optim...orway=schedule

I loved living in the area, so best of luck on whatever you decide!

Old 02-08-2022, 11:27 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Unless you're a frat bro who's mating call is a drunken karaoke rendition of Mony Mony, this would not be a very pleasant place to live 81 days out of the year. Not only are there all the drunk people, but, as somebody pointed out, the carjackers and muggers who love them.

Personally, I would try to move at least 5 blocks west of the field if I liked Lakeview.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:35 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Southport Corridor is a nice alternative. Even at my age, I'd live over there. About 3/4 mile from Wrigley, west.

It's a bougie spot, Soul Cycle, Free People, and other expensive habit stores, as well as a few good places to eat and drink.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:37 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Competing with game traffic is a real treat if your commute time ever coincides with the 2 or so hours before or after game time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago