Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 10:37 PM

10 posts, read 7,245 times

Advertisements

I've been in Chicago for a few years. I really like nice modern luxury buildings with amenities, and when I moved here I wanted to be in a central location as well, so I started off in the Near North area near Rush/Division. After a couple of years, I moved a bit more south into River North as I got a great deal on a better building/unit. I like how River North is so central, so it's easy to get around, and I like that it has a lot of good restaurants, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, healthy food shops and workout places nearby. I do also like the city vibe, though I also like the Chicago neighborhood feel which is lacking here.

I'm now looking to move apartments, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm a gay male in my early 30s and feel like I might be missing out by not being in Lakeview, but the modern buildings are really lacking there. Additionally, I like to go to the bars up there occasionally, but I'm not into going to them on a weekly basis and doing brunch etc. So I don't feel like I need to be close to have access to that all the time. But when I am up there, I do get a sense of community, and it's nice to see so many gay people out and about, which I certainly don't get much of downtown. I also feel like I need more gay friends, but I don't know if my location is hindering that or if I'm just not putting myself out there enough (have been taking a break from apps and the bars etc).

I guess I'm wondering if there are any gay guys here who have been/are in a similar boat. Did you try Lakeview and never looked back? Or did you feel it wasn't as great as you thought it would be? Is it easier to make friends while living up there? Or do you prefer not to live in Lakeview and then just go there when you want to go out?

Or in general, is it lame to spend so much time in the downtown area without living anywhere else in Chicago? Do most people move around here? Part of me feels I should explore another area.. I like the idea of living in Lincoln Park but that also doesn't have great luxury options and the ones that exist are overpriced. Wicker Park is cool but it's far from most people I know, and there's no Trader Joe's nearby. Also exploring West Loop but I don't know if I'm sold on it (it feels so removed from everything, and also doesn't have TJ's). So I end up defaulting to buildings in the downtown area.

Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts or perspectives on this. Thanks in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 12:28 AM

212 posts, read 231,739 times
Oh man, the year I lived in Lakeview was one of the funnest years in my life. I spent more time partying in Wrigleyville, but I always had to walk past Halsted to get over there. So many good memories. Lakeview has great variety, as you may already know. Like, the Southport Corridor, to Clark St to Halsted, to Broadway, they all have a different feel. It’s a really exciting and fun place, and you should be able to make new friends easy if you just put yourself out there enough. And maybe just settle for a vintage building because modern buildings are gross anyway? Just kidding

But yes, I think it would be on the lame side to have only lived in and near downtown. I’m glad to have lived in probably 8 to 10 different Chicago neighborhoods. It’s been a more colorful and fulfilling experience looking back to have experienced so many different places

Old 02-05-2022, 07:23 AM

224 posts, read 133,856 times
Where you want to live will be up to you, but this is a gay friendly city, you can live anywhere. Chicago is one of the most liberal cities in the country and our mayor is a black lesbian woman.

But yes, Lakeview is very nice.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:40 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,073,075 times
WHere to live as a gay man?

Anywhere you want. Unless you are going to be playing "it's raining men" at 2:00 am every night, no one cares that you are gay. Really, why would anyone care?

Old 02-06-2022, 08:37 PM

I wasn’t gonna say anything, but gotta disagree with the above posts. There are still a few spots in Chicago that are bigoted towards gays, or anyone different, I would assume. When I lived in Canaryville last Summer, I would walk past a baseball field and the teenagers would call me gay, or call me a f****t, etc. I’m not even gay, I just wear skinny jeans and have long hair. I went to a bar there one Thursday night and felt like I was at a biker bar in South Dakota (actually, a gay might be into that haha) but I just gotta say, there are still parts of Chicago that are over-traditional, meat-and-potatoes type places full of close-mindedness—conservative not in their politics, per se, but in their lifestyles. Most of my time out in Canaryville, I felt like I was living amongst Performance Artists just tiredly going through the act of a boring, ordinary blue collar existence in between sitting in front of the TV rooting against the Cubs and for the Sox

However, nearby, there is a sizable ***** community in Pilsen and Heart of Chicago. I recommend the Barrel off the Damen Pink Line as a place to meet other gays on the South Side

Old 02-06-2022, 08:45 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,584,990 times
Andersonville

Old 02-06-2022, 11:13 PM

224 posts, read 133,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
I wasn’t gonna say anything, but gotta disagree with the above posts. There are still a few spots in Chicago that are bigoted towards gays, or anyone different, I would assume. When I lived in Canaryville last Summer, I would walk past a baseball field and the teenagers would call me gay, or call me a f****t, etc. I’m not even gay, I just wear skinny jeans and have long hair. I went to a bar there one Thursday night and felt like I was at a biker bar in South Dakota (actually, a gay might be into that haha) but I just gotta say, there are still parts of Chicago that are over-traditional, meat-and-potatoes type places full of close-mindedness—conservative not in their politics, per se, but in their lifestyles. Most of my time out in Canaryville, I felt like I was living amongst Performance Artists just tiredly going through the act of a boring, ordinary blue collar existence in between sitting in front of the TV rooting against the Cubs and for the Sox

However, nearby, there is a sizable ***** community in Pilsen and Heart of Chicago. I recommend the Barrel off the Damen Pink Line as a place to meet other gays on the South Side

This has less to do with the city of Chicago and more with the mindset of ghetto ignorant people who are low income. Go to Brownsville or the Bronx in New York and you'll encounter the same thing even tho NYC is like the most liberal city in the country.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:16 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,073,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post

And as a white guy, I don't go to Hispanic biker bars. Or BAMN rallys or scream obscenities outside the governor's office.

I still stick by my statement of anywhere. I didn't think I had to add; "with common sense"
If you are going to wear to short skinny jeans, plaid shirts, tattoos, and long hair you are just opening yourself to ridicule in blue-collar neighborhoods. You do it for attention, then blog about it when you get attention.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:51 AM

^^^ To be clear, the biker bar I went to had white attendees. I did not notice anyone who looked to be of Latin origin, save for the buddy I went there with, and I only went in there once. Also, I don’t wear plaid shirts, I don’t have tattoos, and my skinny jeans are not short. They are ankle-length. I dressed more flashy for attention in my early 20s, but not anymore. I just look like an average skateboarder/failed guitarist

But yes, most anywhere in Chicago, people are mature enough to respect differences

Old 02-07-2022, 08:54 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,584,990 times
Man, Canaryville never changes. Different demographics, same chip on the shoulder.

Interesting neighborhood. I don't know if Kelly's is still open, but once upon a time it could be pretty rowdy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: