Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 02:16 AM

1 posts, read 37,560 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I smelled very strong sewer gas from the bathtub in my bathroom when I moved into the apartment at the first time. I called the maintenance and they poured some powder into the drain. I was informed that it will remove the odor of sewer gas. However the odor came back few days later. I am going to call the maintenance again to have it fixed.

However I am thinking if I could break my lease if they can't fix it. Do you have any suggestion on how to break the lease? Thank you very much.

pathexplorer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
Sewer gases as far as I can tell are only supposed to come up from toilet pipes.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:57 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
There's a problem with your drain trap. You could try running some water into the drain to seal it off, but they would probably have to completely rip out your bathtub drain to fix the problem. It's a health hazard, and you could just call the city inspector. But that's pretty much declaring war on your landlord...

Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Don't break your lease until trying to get the situation solved with your landlord. If they aren't helpful, I would call my own plumber and get an estimate for the cost to fix it. Send this estimate via certified mail to your landlord.

Always make sure to document everything; this will protect you in the event you are forced to break your lease.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 AM

249 posts, read 685,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There's a problem with your drain trap. You could try running some water into the drain to seal it off, but they would probably have to completely rip out your bathtub drain to fix the problem. It's a health hazard, and you could just call the city inspector. But that's pretty much declaring war on your landlord...
LK is right. It's definitely a problem with the trap -- the S-shaped pipe like you have under your sinks. This is supposed to be filled with water at all times to prevent odors from backing up into the house. The water that's in there is either evaporating or leaking (the latter being bad news for whomever lives below you -- could check with them to see if the bathroom ceiling is caving in) If it's evaporating, it's a matter of regularly running water down the drain to keep the trap filled with water at all times. Do you not use the tub that often? If regular use of the tub isn't enough to keep the water level up, you could run the water and then pour a small amount of clean cooking oil down the drain, which would create a film that would slow the evaporation of the water.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 PM

248 posts, read 1,073,657 times
same problem here...

question

does the water move quickly in the drain or slow???

also, pour a quart of beach in the toliet, tub and sinks...let it sit...I would stay in the house...or open all windows.....then in about 2 hours run hot water for a couple minutes.....works like a charm....

Old 05-20-2008, 08:23 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
It sounds like the catch basin is backing up. That means sometimes you can smell the sewer gas upstairs from the pipe to the street. But the 'S' in the system is supposed to prevent this. When the water gets a little low at the bottom of the elbow, the gas fills the apartment above.

There are some very technical steps to take before breaking a lease so the situation does not come back to bite you. One has to advise the landlord, give him time to cure, send a written notice that the lease is to be considered terminated, etc. See a lawyer or you may be on the hook for the rent for the entire term of the lease if the landlord cannot re-rent the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago