Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,987 times

Advertisements

Hi all my wife and I (lesbian couple) are relocating to Chicago with our 2 year old within the next six months. We will likely rent for a bit while we feel out various neighborhoods. We will both me working in Chicago but would like to buy a house in a town outside of the city. We would like a larger house and yard and more importantly, be in a town with diversity and that is LGBT friendly. We have decent paying jobs so price is not very important. More so the diversity, good schools, low crime, ability to make friends our age (lower 30s) are the most important thing for us. Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 03:27 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingCPA View Post
Hi all my wife and I (lesbian couple) are relocating to Chicago with our 2 year old within the next six months. We will likely rent for a bit while we feel out various neighborhoods. We will both me working in Chicago but would like to buy a house in a town outside of the city. We would like a larger house and yard and more importantly, be in a town with diversity and that is LGBT friendly. We have decent paying jobs so price is not very important. More so the diversity, good schools, low crime, ability to make friends our age (lower 30s) are the most important thing for us. Thank you in advance for your help!
I know that you are coming from New York City, but if I'm going to recommend a neighborhood like Lakewood-Balmoral in Edgewater, it needs to be understood that homes there are around a million dollars. What exactly is your budget?

Old 07-06-2021, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,987 times
Budget around 900k

Old 07-06-2021, 06:30 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingCPA View Post
Budget around 900k
You should be able to find a SFH for that in the suggested areas, or maybe even Andersonville. Otherwise a pretty spectacular condo in those areas, or a very nice, if less spectacular condo downtown.

Chicago overall is one of the most LGBT+ friendly cities in the country. I think you will be fine in any neighborhood that has the other amenities you want.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:36 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
I second Andersonville. It's got some really nice homes and beautiful tree-lined streets. Lots of nice local neighborhood bars, shops, and restaurants. I believe it very LGBT-friendly too and diverse.

Lakeview is close by which is known as the major LGBT neighborhood in the city. Lakeview would also be an option.

*I just notoced that you are interested in a house outside the city. In that case, there are too many options to offer without more details. The Northshore suburbs are gorgeous. $900K in many of the northshore towns could get you something decent. Lots of greenery, near the lake, great schools, open-minded people. Northwest suburbs are really nice, modern, and diverse too.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:05 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
The typical recommendations for close-in suburbs that are diverse, gay-friendly, and family-friendly are Evanston, immediately north of the city, and Oak Park, just to the west. Both have good school systems, decent urban amenities, and el and/or commuter rail lines downtown to the Loop. I’d guess finding homes under $1 million wouldn’t be difficult, but the property taxes are likely high, like New Jersey or Connecticut. Maybe a local can weigh in and say more.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:33 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I would worry about transit to work first. If your work is near an L or metra stop I would look for a place on that line. Driving into the city can be pretty miserable. Pretty much any of the decent Chicago neighborhoods are fine though the north side along the Red line would probably be optimal. There are nice neighborhoods along the blue and brown line as well. Suburbs Oak Park, Evanston. Out west in DuPage Co there is a greater population of Evangelicals but even they would not likely give you any issues in this day and age.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:28 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,185,335 times
Yes, part of this should depend on where you work, but given your budget sounds like you can live wherever convenient.

I'd look at these places, but easier to narrow down once the general commute required is understood.

Evanston
Oak Park
River Forest
Wilmette
Park Ridge
Elmhurst
LaGrange
Western Springs

The first 3 listed are the most diverse, but I think you would be okay as LGBT in any of the above listed towns. I'd list more, but at your budget, you can live pretty close to the city and get a nice house.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:37 AM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
My dream is that in my lifetime, I will witness people not feeling the need to emphasize their (fill in the blank) as a cause of potential concern, regarding being well received in a place to live.

That said, the contributors here have mentioned great places; that I would like to say are great places for ANYONE to live!

Best of luck to the OP and family!

Old 07-07-2021, 10:23 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The typical recommendations for close-in suburbs that are diverse, gay-friendly, and family-friendly are Evanston, immediately north of the city, and Oak Park, just to the west. Both have good school systems, decent urban amenities, and el and/or commuter rail lines downtown to the Loop. I’d guess finding homes under $1 million wouldn’t be difficult, but the property taxes are likely high, like New Jersey or Connecticut. Maybe a local can weigh in and say more.
More like New Jersey in the suburbs, far higher than most of Fairfield County. However, property taxes within the City of Chicago tend to be a bit lower than those in the suburbs.

LGBT single-family homeowners are highly visible in Edgewater (Andersonville), Rogers Park, and West Ridge. I've also known a handful of same-sex couples scattered throughout the suburbs growing up. Mostly in Evanston, but I also know a couple of families in Lake Forest, one older and childless, and another gay-male household with a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago