Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 08:49 AM

9 posts, read 7,989 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Family and I are moving into our new home in Garfield Park this Summer. We are from Chicago so we are very aware of the area. Any advise on moving into this specific neighborhood? We are moving from Belmont Caging/Hermosa so of the bat we know the diversity will not be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 11:58 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
Oh, you TOTALLY got this!!! We hope you and your family will continue to be happy! Best to you all.

Belmont CRAGIN is nice, too, however.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:09 PM

Thank you!

BC has been great, however we can't afford it no longer. Onto a new chapter in our lives.

Old 06-01-2021, 02:32 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
East Garfield Park is the better of the two, the “eastern” part of that area is more desirable.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
East Garfield Park is the better of the two, the “eastern” part of that area is more desirable.
looking at a place on Hamlin and Lake. Facing the park.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:27 AM

1,067 posts, read 915,231 times
I would buy east of the park. WGP is very dangerous. EGP has way more upside than WGP due to the continued march west and the natural barrier of the park. And EGP is still relatively cheap. WGP is a loooong way away from gentrification.

Hamlin and Lake facing the park will follow the same pattern as West Humboldt Park where the properties hugging and facing the park will sell at a premium over time as east spills over to west. But you can still get those properties on the east side now so why move to the west.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:28 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderLander View Post
Hi Everyone,

Family and I are moving into our new home in Garfield Park this Summer. We are from Chicago so we are very aware of the area. Any advise on moving into this specific neighborhood? We are moving from Belmont Caging/Hermosa so of the bat we know the diversity will not be there.
There have been 26 killed and 79 wounded in Garfield Park in '21 so far. Highest homicide total in the City. But we need good people like you moving in there so I salute you. Congrats and stay safe!!

Old 06-03-2021, 01:32 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
I would buy east of the park. WGP is very dangerous. EGP has way more upside than WGP due to the continued march west and the natural barrier of the park. And EGP is still relatively cheap. WGP is a loooong way away from gentrification.

Hamlin and Lake facing the park will follow the same pattern as West Humboldt Park where the properties hugging and facing the park will sell at a premium over time as east spills over to west. But you can still get those properties on the east side now so why move to the west.
Eh, I'd argue over whether EGP is still cheap. Really nothing is that cheap in today's market unless you want to risk a very rough south side neighborhood. EGP will cost you more than Berwyn and Cicero now pound for pound (though taxes would be lower in Chicago). There's a lot of speculation in EGP, and even WGP and North Lawndale, so bargains can be hard to come by.

But I like this person. I don't know if he or she is a renter but it's high time (apologies on the pun) people actually start moving there instead of just buying something and hoping someone else does that for them. A Chicago hero in my mind.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:15 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderLander View Post
looking at a place on Hamlin and Lake. Facing the park.
Lake and Hamlin can be “busy” during the late evenings and into the night. Good luck on your search...

Old 06-10-2021, 02:33 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
There have been 26 killed and 79 wounded in Garfield Park in '21 so far. Highest homicide total in the City. But we need good people like you moving in there so I salute you. Congrats and stay safe!!
I would never move my family(with kids) to that area. Yeah..thanks OP for being one of the good people living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago