Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:28 PM

161 posts, read 699,332 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite bar in Chicago and why do you like it? Or what's your favorite stretch of bars (like on Clark or Milwaukee or Rush or whatever street)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
I will not mention any of my favorite bars that have yet to be tainted by hipster interlopers. To do that would betray my very soul.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:47 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I will not mention any of my favorite bars that have yet to be tainted by hipster interlopers. To do that would betray my very soul.
I'm on your trail. There is no escape.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:39 PM

9 posts, read 25,354 times
I really like national 27 for mambo, salsa, bacahata, merenge dancing on the weekends, really great food and mojitos with fresh surgar cane.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:21 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Whatever bar is closest to my front door is my favorite one. Okay, maybe not. But soon my favorite bar will be the one I can take a young baby to at 5:00 p.m. for a casual dinner. Since the smoking ban went into effect, I've never seen so many babies in bars during the daytime--particularly in Lincoln Square. It seems kind of crazy to me, but I guess it works.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:31 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Babies in bars? God this country is doomed.

How about go to a restaurant that serves alcohol? Who would bring a baby into a bar? I sure would not.

No offense to you but a baby in a bar is in direct clash of why bars exist.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Babies in bars? God this country is doomed.

How about go to a restaurant that serves alcohol? Who would bring a baby into a bar? I sure would not.

No offense to you but a baby in a bar is in direct clash of why bars exist.
Well, at least Lincoln Square is doomed. I'm talking about places like the Daily Bar, Feed the Beast, etc. They all have babies in them during the day and early evening now that the smoking ban is gone. Lot's of them. I guess they are "restaurants that serve alcohol" as well, but they seem more like bars to me. It's the strangest by-product of the smoking ban I've seen so far, but it's nice for the parents.

The other day I sat on the patio of the Daily Bar for lunch, and there were six strollers parked next to tables. I went to Feed the Beast last weekend with some friends who just had a kid, and there were four babies in there around 5:00 p.m. And we're not talking about low-class trailer park babies here (who you might expect to see in a bar). These were the yuppie fancy aluminum stroller types drinking craft beers and bottles of wine.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:35 AM

248 posts, read 1,073,558 times
I like to go where the Hoes are .....boot leggers = easy women ;-)

Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 PM

161 posts, read 699,332 times
Thanks for all the terrific suggestions... Just to clarify, I'm not a hipster, I'm a high school teacher who hasn't really found any bars that aren't too hipster or too yuppie. I'm looking for bars I can go to this summer and have a couple of beers with friends without feeling like I have to dress or act a certain way.

But I also really like going to obscure hipster bars, fancy River North dance clubs, and the heart of Wrigleyville on a Friday night in mid-July b/c all those places are hilarious for their over-the-top eccentricities.

Thanks for the nacional 27 tip, sounds cool, I'll have to check it out. But really, any tips would be helpful.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
I like the German bars in Lincoln Square and North Center/St. Ben's, particularly Laschett's Inn, Resi's Bierstube and Huettenbar. They are casual hangout places and generally yuppie-free zones, though Huettenbar is starting to pick up a bit of a hipster following. But Laschett's and Resi's in particular are old-school. When I'm really serious about my beer-drinking, I head to the Map Room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago