Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 08:00 AM

3,951 posts, read 6,872,765 times

Advertisements

I agree with other posters that West Loop is your best option. Just live close to work! That area is awesome and you will definitely find it fits all of your needs. Eventually you may want to venture to less dense neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 08:07 AM

27 posts, read 16,260 times
Hey, thank you for your responses! How viable would it be to live in the suburbs to the north and northwest of the city and use public transportation / or car everyday to work? I was thinking about renting an airbnb for about a month at first while I am able to find a nice place to live. I could probably spend more than 1,800 per month, but unfortunately I have too many bills to pay and it would be best to stay below that number.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 408 times
I’m not sure how quickly you are looking to move, but my River West 1/1 rental will become available next month. It meets your $1800 price limit and includes parking. PM if you want any additional info.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:36 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,585,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred86 View Post
Hey, thank you for your responses! How viable would it be to live in the suburbs to the north and northwest of the city and use public transportation / or car everyday to work? I was thinking about renting an airbnb for about a month at first while I am able to find a nice place to live. I could probably spend more than 1,800 per month, but unfortunately I have too many bills to pay and it would be best to stay below that number.
Most of Chicagoland lives in the suburbs, and Chicago's Loop is highly intact and thriving. Ergo, millions must be commuting to the City every day without issue.

The suburbs are totally viable. However, I don't know how much you would save on rent if your idea of an ideal suburb is Evanston, for example. Rent could easily be higher there than within the city limits.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,968,047 times
Most people take public transportation to work, if they work in the Loop or west loop. You can walk to work if you live in the west loop. If you live in a suburb, you can take a train or the "L" (depending on where you live) into the loop but then you would have to find a way to get to the west loop from the train station. That could be walking or hopping on a bus. It would probably be a good idea to rent in the west loop for a year, and get a building that has a parking space. Street parking is mostly impossible for a long term situation. If you decided after a year being there, you could move either to a suburb, or to another neighborhood in the city. The west loop is nice but it does not have that cozy "neighborhood" green space feel with cool shops and restaurants that many Chicago neighborhoods have.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:18 PM

27 posts, read 16,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronbear518921 View Post
I’m not sure how quickly you are looking to move, but my River West 1/1 rental will become available next month. It meets your $1800 price limit and includes parking. PM if you want any additional info.
Well, the quicker the better. I'll send you a PM. Thanks!!

Old 05-24-2021, 02:50 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,741,695 times
I walked 30min to walk every day when I first moved to Chicago. It sucks when it's in the single digits but just bundle up and you'll be fine. I'd honestly rather walk outside in freezing weather than 100F weather because at least in the cold I don't need a shower afterwards.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:14 PM

258 posts, read 418,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred86 View Post
Well, I am in my 30's, married but separated. I do not like to party that much anymore. I prefer to live in a peaceful, and most importantly, safe area with green spaces around it and not so much going on. I like to go out for a walk every so often and also enjoy jogging and running. I am pretty active and like to exercise a lot. I like to have quiet neighbors and would of course much rather live in a house with a garden than in a high rise. However I don't think that this is going to be a possibility with my budget and in a big city like Chicago.

How do people usually commute to work in Chicago? Is it better/cheaper to use public transportation than a car?
Much of the North Center community area is quieter, still very nice, but has access/close to much of the action. My grandma and uncle live near Lane Tech. They enjoy it, have no issues there. It is quite expensive though, but so is most of the city.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:56 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,917,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I walked 30min to walk every day when I first moved to Chicago. It sucks when it's in the single digits but just bundle up and you'll be fine. I'd honestly rather walk outside in freezing weather than 100F weather because at least in the cold I don't need a shower afterwards.
I love walking, but that's a pretty tough walk, especially in cold weather. Although it's great exercise.
Did you just not want to take public transportation or was it in an area where it wasn't convenient?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago