Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 06:56 PM

392 posts, read 282,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
During my first trip to Chicago when I was about 12 years old we went to the top of the Prudential Building. At that time, the tallest building in the city. We took the El to just below Marshall Fields. The biggest building I had seen prior to downtown Chicago was the Foshay Tower in Minneapolis, which really wasn't comparable. I was awestruck.

I vaguely remember looking down at the construction of the John Hancock Building.

How the times have changed.
Have you been up the Sears Tower and John Hancock Center. Also, do you think it would be a good economic decision to reopen the observation deck and restaurant at the Prudential Building to the public, considering that the Foshay Tower is still open to the public despite being dwarfed by taller skyscrapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 07:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,336,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc1664 View Post
Have you been up the Sears Tower and John Hancock Center. Also, do you think it would be a good economic decision to reopen the observation deck and restaurant at the Prudential Building to the public, considering that the Foshay Tower is still open to the public despite being dwarfed by taller skyscrapers.
I'd have to look of there is any view of the Loop. IIRC the Standard/Aon building to the east may be in the way. Also check if there is any view over Grant/Millennium Park. Generally you need a view to & over the lake.

May be better to someday replace the Soldier Field stadium monster to some kind of mixed use development with some condo/apartments, a Taste of Chicago area.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
The Prudential Building was significant in that it was the first office building to be constructed in downtown Chicago after World War 2.

At the time of its opening in 1955, the Prudential Building became the tallest structure in Chicago. The second tallest was the Board of Trade Building, which was topped with a statue of Ceres (Roman Goddess of Grain).
The Chicago Board of Trade Building also had a public observation deck on the 44th floor until the early 1970's and that building was built in 1930.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:25 AM

3,936 posts, read 6,852,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
My BIL had his own name for the 95th Restaurant in the John Hancock Building in the 70's. They refused service to him once because he wasn't wearing a tie, so he re-named it for them, not sure how widespread it became.

The new name not-so-coincidentally rhymed with the Prudential Building's "Top of the Rock", LOL. My guess is that the dress code is a bit more relaxed today, based on how I've seen people get on planes, show up for jury duty, etc..
I can confirm they are no longer strict in any sense, at least not to my knowledge. I've been there multiple times without a tie, but never looking like total garbage so I can't confirm there is zero dress code.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:40 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,894,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I can confirm they are no longer strict in any sense, at least not to my knowledge. I've been there multiple times without a tie, but never looking like total garbage so I can't confirm there is zero dress code.
I think this is the general state of almost all restaurants nowadays. I'm sure there are a very few that have required attire, but in my experience, even at some of the nicest restaurants that enforce a "dress code," it's more that they don't allow "athletic gear" (including baggy jeans) and in some cases "t-shirts."

If you have a collared shirt, nice pair of jeans, and non-athletic shoes, you won't have a problem at 99% of the restaurants, even if they have a "dress code" nowadays.

Even 10 years ago, there were many more restaurants that were enforcing more strict dress codes. But there have been so many high profile incidents, and since 2020 (the pandemic) restaurants have been struggling in general, so many have done away with them.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:06 AM

4,880 posts, read 6,947,131 times
Quote:
I've been to the top of the Willis (Sears) Tower a couple of times. Never been to the top of the John Hancock Center.

I can't say if opening the restaurant on the top of the Prudential Building is a good idea. Having only been to the top of this building once when I was a kid, I can honestly say that I don't remember the restaurant.

Old 11-02-2022, 02:56 PM

529 posts, read 649,564 times
Quote:
The AON building was considering adding an observation deck/event space/restaruant with elevators basically riding up the exterior of the building in one of the corners. I think they may have just recently broken ground, so that'll be interesting to see how that turns out.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
The AON building was considering adding an observation deck/event space/restaruant with elevators basically riding up the exterior of the building in one of the corners. I think they may have just recently broken ground, so that'll be interesting to see how that turns out.
The plans are still taking place, but they have been delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:12 PM

Admission to the Prudential Building when it was open from 1955 to 1976 was 50 cents for adults and 25 cents for children 6-12 years of age. The hours of operation in about 1958 were 10 am-10 pm Monday-Thursday, 10 am-12 am Friday and Saturday, and 11 am to 5 pm on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago