Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 PM

25 posts, read 98,825 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 26-year-old single female planning to relocate to Chicago. I have gone through the sticky post, searched and read and I think Lakeview is the area I am going to shoot for.

I am looking for a studio and I have found a few that fit into my budget and I wanted general opinions on the areas.

Thanks

530 W. Arlington
452 W. Aldine
420 W. Melrose
445 W. Barry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
All are fine. If you need more help with the area DM me. I live in Lake View.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Plan on spending a lot of money for off-street parking in that area if you have a car. It's very dense and street parking is hard to come by.

There's something about that area around Arlington that it has absolutely the best tree canopy in the summertime. Maybe it's because the streets are narrower than most Chicago streets and the trees are closer together.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:17 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,723 times
Default I'm from Kalamazoo too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSML View Post
Hello,

I am a 26-year-old single female planning to relocate to Chicago. I have gone through the sticky post, searched and read and I think Lakeview is the area I am going to shoot for.

I am looking for a studio and I have found a few that fit into my budget and I wanted general opinions on the areas.

Thanks

530 W. Arlington
452 W. Aldine
420 W. Melrose
445 W. Barry
Hey, welcome to Chicago! All of those places are great; I live in East Lakeview too, and you can't go wrong with any of those places.

I am from Kalamazoo too, in a way (went to WMU for five years), so if you want to know anything from a "Kzoo" perspective just let me know!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:01 AM

Thanks all for the help. I'm planning things long-distance so I'm relieved to know I'm on the right track. I will be making a trip to the area in the upcoming weeks to check things out in person so I may have more questions then.

Drover, I do have a car so I will keep parking fees in mind while figuring out my budget. Do you have a suggestion for a similar area with available street parking?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Thanks all for the help. I'm planning things long-distance so I'm relieved to know I'm on the right track. I will be making a trip to the area in the upcoming weeks to check things out in person so I may have more questions then.

Drover, I do have a car so I will keep parking fees in mind while figuring out my budget. Do you have a suggestion for a similar area with available street parking?

Unfortunately, most of the "hip" places to live have high parking fees. If you want more of a neighborhood feel, you could do something with street parking. When I lived in West Lakeview (west of Ashland), I could easily street park. Otherwise parking can be anywhere between $70-$250 (I have one friend paying $70 in lakeview and another paying $250 for a garage!)

Old 05-02-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I guess it depends on how "similar" you need. If you need to be in a dense area right on the lakefront, then no. If you just need to be in or near a decent nightlife area, parking is considerably more manageable in West Lakeview than East; and also in Bucktown and Wicker Park. In all of these places, you should be able to find street parking no more than a block or two away between the hours of, say, 8am and 7pm. After 7pm it becomes increasingly difficult. Just as well; unless you work out in the suburbs chances are you'll be taking public transportation to work anyway.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Unfortunately, most of the "hip" places to live have high parking fees. If you want more of a neighborhood feel, you could do something with street parking. When I lived in West Lakeview (west of Ashland), I could easily street park. Otherwise parking can be anywhere between $70-$250 (I have one friend paying $70 in lakeview and another paying $250 for a garage!)
I don't need "hip" as much as I need affordable and safe. I will look into West Lakeview studios as well. Some of the complexes state that covered parking is available so I'm assuming those garages will cost $70-$250? I have called a few of the complexes to see what is available and I will be sure to inquire about parking fees.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I guess it depends on how "similar" you need. If you need to be in a dense area right on the lakefront, then no. If you just need to be in or near a decent nightlife area, parking is considerably more manageable in West Lakeview than East; and also in Bucktown and Wicker Park. In all of these places, you should be able to find street parking no more than a block or two away between the hours of, say, 8am and 7pm. After 7pm it becomes increasingly difficult. Just as well; unless you work out in the suburbs chances are you'll be taking public transportation to work anyway.
I would like to live in a place with a decent nightlife that is safe and affordable. Living alone, I want to feel comfortable walking to my apartment if I have to park several blocks away and/or take public transportation.

I cannot find Bucktown on my map (I'll will do a search to see to where it is) but I will check out both Bucktown and Wicker Park as options, thanks.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:06 PM

Well for someone who is looking for affordability, you should know that Lakeview is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city. What kind of combined rent/utilities budget are you looking at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago