Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 07:57 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times

Advertisements

Must Do's
- Have true Chicago Deep Dish Pizza at one of the following: Lou Malnati's (all over the loop), Pequods (only two locations, only one in Chicago), or Pizzeria Uno/Due in the loop. Any of these are a good pick so you can't go wrong there. Just do what's convenient.

- See a museum or museum's. Art Museum, Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry are all world class museums. In my opinion the Shedd Aquarium and Chicago History Museum aren't worth your time in this case. Do the museum that your family finds most interesting. My personal preference is the Museum of Science and Industry as it's more science focused and very hands on. Art/Field museum are Art/History focused and are basically just looking at really old stuff but still impressive none the least!

- See the bean in Millenium Park. Be sure to focus on the reflection of the bean that allows for the skyline in the background. If you take a picture on the northwest corner this typically gives you the greatest skyline reflection. It's a beautiful park and the Maggie Dailey side is a giant childrens playground (think McDonalds play place). Your kids are too old to care about that though so I would probably consider skipping this.

- Architecture cruise. Even for the youngins this could be a very fun activity. But this does come with a major caveat which is that it is weather dependent. Be sure you dress really warm and skip it all together if you don't think you'll be comfortable. The water is always 10-15 degrees colder than the air temperature so keep this in mind too.

- Visit the Hancock or the Willis "Sears" Tower. Both have observation platforms which aren't cheap. Both have great views where Willis' view is focused on the western suburban sprawl and hancocks is focused on Lincoln Park and the Lake. I personally prefer Hancocks view and it sounds like your hotel is nearby anyway so maybe do that. Hancock also has the lounge where you can enjoy the view with cocktails in hand. It's a cheaper way of taking in the view while actually getting something for your money but note that drinks aren't cheap either and to get a seat with a view you will want to go on an off hour.

- Navy pier. Just to walk to the end and back. You can ride the ferris wheel which would be a blast for the kids. It also provides stellar views of the city. Our ferris wheel is now enclosed so weather shouldn't be a concern. However, the pier is mostly outdoors so do still dress appropriately. Walk to the end and take pictures and view how expansive the lake is. It's well worth a visit. You can also get food there but keep in mind it's mostly chain restaurants.

DO NOTs
- Do NOT visit the Childrens Museum at Navy Pier. It's focused towards kids much younger than yours.
- Do NOT waste your time visiting other neighborhoods. It's not an effective use of your time and your youngins will likely grow bored quickly. It would be like going to new york and taking the subway to the bronx for a day. No thanks, focus on the touristy stuff given you have limited time.

Other recommendations I have
- Visit Lincoln Park if there's time. They have a zoo there that's free and the park is beautiful just to walk around.
- RIDE the L or "Subway" trains. If you're feeling adventurous it can be a good experience to have! Kids tend to love riding it for their first time. You can even take it from both airports which is a good tip if you plan to commute in or out of the city during rush hour. I strongly recommend the L over any cab during these times.
- Gangster tours. I haven't been on one but they look fun and might be interesting for the 13 year old. 8 year old might be too young yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 08:59 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
- Visit the Hancock or the Willis "Sears" Tower. Both have observation platforms which aren't cheap.
You go to the Signature Room and order a drink or an appetizer or something. You spend eleven or twelve bucks. You go around and get all the viewing you want. This is how I get my photos from in Hancock. This may or may not work as well with kids in the group, though. Never tried it.

Worst case, you have to buy the kids something (they have some desserts on the menu too, maybe go after the pizza trip) and you still spend about the same as you do on one of those observation deck admissions.

Also, "Willis" is the one that should be in the quotes.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:08 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Must Do's
- Have true Chicago Deep Dish Pizza at one of the following: Lou Malnati's (all over the loop), Pequods (only two locations, only one in Chicago), or Pizzeria Uno/Due in the loop. Any of these are a good pick so you can't go wrong there. Just do what's convenient.

- See a museum or museum's. Art Museum, Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry are all world class museums. In my opinion the Shedd Aquarium and Chicago History Museum aren't worth your time in this case. Do the museum that your family finds most interesting. My personal preference is the Museum of Science and Industry as it's more science focused and very hands on. Art/Field museum are Art/History focused and are basically just looking at really old stuff but still impressive none the least!

- See the bean in Millenium Park. Be sure to focus on the reflection of the bean that allows for the skyline in the background. If you take a picture on the northwest corner this typically gives you the greatest skyline reflection. It's a beautiful park and the Maggie Dailey side is a giant childrens playground (think McDonalds play place). Your kids are too old to care about that though so I would probably consider skipping this.

- Architecture cruise. Even for the youngins this could be a very fun activity. But this does come with a major caveat which is that it is weather dependent. Be sure you dress really warm and skip it all together if you don't think you'll be comfortable. The water is always 10-15 degrees colder than the air temperature so keep this in mind too.

- Visit the Hancock or the Willis "Sears" Tower. Both have observation platforms which aren't cheap. Both have great views where Willis' view is focused on the western suburban sprawl and hancocks is focused on Lincoln Park and the Lake. I personally prefer Hancocks view and it sounds like your hotel is nearby anyway so maybe do that. Hancock also has the lounge where you can enjoy the view with cocktails in hand. It's a cheaper way of taking in the view while actually getting something for your money but note that drinks aren't cheap either and to get a seat with a view you will want to go on an off hour.

- Navy pier. Just to walk to the end and back. You can ride the ferris wheel which would be a blast for the kids. It also provides stellar views of the city. Our ferris wheel is now enclosed so weather shouldn't be a concern. However, the pier is mostly outdoors so do still dress appropriately. Walk to the end and take pictures and view how expansive the lake is. It's well worth a visit. You can also get food there but keep in mind it's mostly chain restaurants.

DO NOTs
- Do NOT visit the Childrens Museum at Navy Pier. It's focused towards kids much younger than yours.
- Do NOT waste your time visiting other neighborhoods. It's not an effective use of your time and your youngins will likely grow bored quickly. It would be like going to new york and taking the subway to the bronx for a day. No thanks, focus on the touristy stuff given you have limited time.

Other recommendations I have
- Visit Lincoln Park if there's time. They have a zoo there that's free and the park is beautiful just to walk around.
- RIDE the L or "Subway" trains. If you're feeling adventurous it can be a good experience to have! Kids tend to love riding it for their first time. You can even take it from both airports which is a good tip if you plan to commute in or out of the city during rush hour. I strongly recommend the L over any cab during these times.
- Gangster tours. I haven't been on one but they look fun and might be interesting for the 13 year old. 8 year old might be too young yet.
TY for the detailed tips - I have my plate full - appreciate everyone who contributed.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:20 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
zulu400, Great!!! You could never be bored, and there is never enough time. What are some of the restaurants you're leaning towards?

Old 02-27-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You go to the Signature Room and order a drink or an appetizer or something. You spend eleven or twelve bucks. You go around and get all the viewing you want. This is how I get my photos from in Hancock. This may or may not work as well with kids in the group, though. Never tried it.

Worst case, you have to buy the kids something (they have some desserts on the menu too, maybe go after the pizza trip) and you still spend about the same as you do on one of those observation deck admissions.

Also, "Willis" is the one that should be in the quotes.
The signature lounge is what I was referring to in my post. It's separate from the signature room which serves food. The lounge is just for drinks so you can get away only making the smaller purchase. Plus I actually prefer the views from the lounge since it faces west instead of just looking over the lake to the east like the room does. Both have north/south views which are definitely the most stunning.

Also, I knew I'd get some flak for that from someone. I agree though

Old 02-27-2020, 09:41 AM

102 posts, read 124,076 times
Don't know if it's been suggested, but the Brown Line up to Lincoln Park gives some great views from the elevated tracks, and over the river. Once up there do the Lincoln Park Zoo.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:45 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
** Update **

Amazing trip - ty for your suggestions.
Mag mile turned out to be a great location for the hotel as it was a very short walk to my cousin's place (Trump Towers).
Also - Museum of Science and Industry turned out to be hands down the best museum I have ever visited so far as how can you keep "everyone" engaged (including adults). U-505 tour was well worth the $$. Envious you guys get free days to visit !!

We did the other touristy stuff like the bean / pier etc and we had a wedding to attend which was nice.
It was cold and windy - as expected brrrrr.... but we were well equipped to deal with this !!

Food was excellent everywhere from Benihana's to Lou Malnatis - amazing deep dish (ty ChiGuy2.5 !!).

Unfortunately, we did not have time to explore the other diverse neighborhoods - and my kids want to come back again - so it was a total win !!

I just Uber-ed and Lyft-ed all the time and did not check out the subway.

Shout out to you guys for helping us out with your excellent suggestions !!

Old 03-02-2020, 10:06 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
zulu400, I'm glad you all had a great time! Try to come back when it's warmer!

Old 03-02-2020, 10:31 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
I agree with you about the Museum of Science and Industry. If you like Christmas trees come back in November or December and see the Tree exhibit.

https://www.msichicago.org/explore/w...und-the-world/

Did you see the Henry Crown Space Center? That one is closed in mid-March this year.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
** Update **

Amazing trip - ty for your suggestions.
Mag mile turned out to be a great location for the hotel as it was a very short walk to my cousin's place (Trump Towers).
Also - Museum of Science and Industry turned out to be hands down the best museum I have ever visited so far as how can you keep "everyone" engaged (including adults). U-505 tour was well worth the $$. Envious you guys get free days to visit !!

We did the other touristy stuff like the bean / pier etc and we had a wedding to attend which was nice.
It was cold and windy - as expected brrrrr.... but we were well equipped to deal with this !!

Food was excellent everywhere from Benihana's to Lou Malnatis - amazing deep dish (ty ChiGuy2.5 !!).

Unfortunately, we did not have time to explore the other diverse neighborhoods - and my kids want to come back again - so it was a total win !!

I just Uber-ed and Lyft-ed all the time and did not check out the subway.

Shout out to you guys for helping us out with your excellent suggestions !!
I'm SO GLAD you chose the MSI (Museum of Science and Industry)! It's my favorite museum and it's probably the most under-appreciated museum I know of in Chicago, mostly due to it's location outside of downtown.

I'm also glad you enjoyed your full stay and the deep dish! Next time you're ready to visit reach out to us again! Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago