Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 09:43 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,608,484 times

Advertisements

If you buy it and don't like it, you could give it to me so I can go right over to Marz Brewing anytime I feel like it and drink some of the best beer in the city, and play pinball for free(!) courtesy of my other friends at Logan Arcade up this way.

<3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 07:24 PM

162 posts, read 460,473 times
I’d like to bump this thread as I’m curious if anything has changed from the previous comments made. My husband is thinking of transferring locations for work, which would be in Archer Heights (Pulaski and 47th area). There have been a lot of delays/waiting for the Orange line, and we would prefer to live close enough to the Archer Heights area while still being able to go downtown or to the north side to visit friends easily. I’ve only driven through some of McKinley Park but what I saw was pretty ordinary. I really enjoy the convenience of having a restaurant or bar within a few block walk but that’s not necessarily a deal breaker. I’m assuming the rental prices in McKinley are still affordable?

Old 01-28-2022, 02:08 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,590,878 times
As with Bridgeport, the influx of Asian and Asian-Americans have stabilized the neighborhood following a rough 80s-90s patch. I'd say it's a pretty solid investment.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:59 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,488,817 times
McKinley Park is red hot right now, along with Bridgeport. So be careful about realtors, and maybe leasing agents too, trying to take advantage of that by marketing the community area south of it as "McKinley Park area" or even as McKinley Park. I have been seeing this more and more. Anything south of Pershing (3900) is not in McKinley Park or Bridgeport. It's in Canaryville or Back of the Yards, which are worth significantly less money and have a lot more issues with crime.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:13 PM

37,286 posts, read 39,614,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Rae View Post
I’d like to bump this thread as I’m curious if anything has changed from the previous comments made. My husband is thinking of transferring locations for work, which would be in Archer Heights (Pulaski and 47th area). There have been a lot of delays/waiting for the Orange line, and we would prefer to live close enough to the Archer Heights area while still being able to go downtown or to the north side to visit friends easily. I’ve only driven through some of McKinley Park but what I saw was pretty ordinary. I really enjoy the convenience of having a restaurant or bar within a few block walk but that’s not necessarily a deal breaker. I’m assuming the rental prices in McKinley are still affordable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
As with Bridgeport, the influx of Asian and Asian-Americans have stabilized the neighborhood following a rough 80s-90s patch. I'd say it's a pretty solid investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
McKinley Park is red hot right now, along with Bridgeport. So be careful about realtors, and maybe leasing agents too, trying to take advantage of that by marketing the community area south of it as "McKinley Park area" or even as McKinley Park. I have been seeing this more and more. Anything south of Pershing (3900) is not in McKinley Park or Bridgeport. It's in Canaryville or Back of the Yards, which are worth significantly less money and have a lot more issues with crime.

I'm kind of curious about how people feel about Archer Heights. To me, it seems like Archer Heights is a decent enough neighborhood and pretty interesting in and of itself and meanwhile the trip to the Loop on the Orange Line is only a few minutes difference from doing the same in McKinley Park--possibly shorter trip time if you buy a place within closer walking distance to the station in the former versus a longer walk from the latter. So if the job is in Archer Heights, which I also perhaps mistakenly assume would have cheaper rent than McKinley Park being further from the Loop, then it's possible that the commute can be just a short walk and meanwhile the travel time to the Loop can be similarly short.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,488,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm kind of curious about how people feel about Archer Heights. To me, it seems like Archer Heights is a decent enough neighborhood and pretty interesting in and of itself and meanwhile the trip to the Loop on the Orange Line is only a few minutes difference from doing the same in McKinley Park--possibly shorter trip time if you buy a place within closer walking distance to the station in the former versus a longer walk from the latter. So if the job is in Archer Heights, which I also perhaps mistakenly assume would have cheaper rent than McKinley Park being further from the Loop, then it's possible that the commute can be just a short walk and meanwhile the travel time to the Loop can be similarly short.
Still a hot market, though cheaper than McKinley Park for sure. As you said, make sure you're near the one L stop (Pulaski). Archer Heights' southern border is essentially the Orange Line so you can start getting pretty far from it as you work your way north and west. Pricing is roughly the same as Little Village, though I think the latter has a better chance of gentrifying. Archer Heights is pretty much a bedroom community, without any significant business districts outside of the area around the Orange Line on Pulaski. And that's more stripmall-esque.

Unfortunately, there's no more free lunch now with interest rates as low as they are and coastal and international investors having discovered the City. Unless the neighborhood is complete ghetto, you can expect strong competition for most buildings with value. That's why I'd advise waiting if possible.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:27 AM

12,928 posts, read 9,656,450 times
Is McKinley blue or white collar Asian? Schools ok?

Old 01-31-2022, 11:13 AM

249 posts, read 183,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Is McKinley blue or white collar Asian? Schools ok?
Blue collar. The lower income Asians are getting priced out of Bridgeport, which is fairly expensive. Schools are not good last I heard.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:30 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,778,483 times
I was also going to suggest just getting a spot in Archer Heights but the housing stock isn't great. Mostly the typical bungalow belt home. It was strange hearing gentrification in the same sentence as Archer Heights as I have a ton of history with the neighborhood from the 80s and part of the 90s. Practically lived at Miami Bowl for a while. The neighborhood changed fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago