Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 01:35 PM

21 posts, read 37,823 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are planning on relocating to Chicago. I will be working in Nortbrook and we do not know yet where my husband will be working but we are guessing north/northwest suburbs.
Here is some of the requirements:
rent no more than $1200 for a 2 bedroooms. I would rather live in an appartment complex. (and I doubt i can afford a nice single house anyway..)
My brother in law is coming with us, but not living with us, we would like to live really near him, and he can't afford much rent ($700??) for a small appartment.
I am french, I lived in London and Paris right after getting my license and therefore have not gotten around driving much. I have my driving license but would want to be close to a mall/ wholefoods market/etc.. without being stuck on the highway forever..
We are not considering dowtown (well my husband is not, I would not mind) more the suburbs.
We want to buy a house within 2 years. and will have small budget (for a small house 250K)
The nightlife is not really a major issue, we do not need it locally, but we like nice restaurants and love local coffes shops
A near by park or lake (let's dream) would be great but not necessary. But I guess it is true for everybody.
Any suggestions?
Am I searching the right way by looking into northwest suburbs and northern suburbs ?
Thanks for any help!
(Sorry if you feel like this post is a repeat from other post. But i have looked around the forum before posting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 12:01 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
There are many suburbs that you guys can look at, that will come in a variety of flavors & price ranges. I'd look at towns like Buffalo Grove, Vernon Hills, Glenview, Skokie (quite close to Chicago by the I-94 highway), Evanston (longer commute to Northbrook, but close to Chicago via Sheridan Road & Lake Shore Drive), maybe even Northfield & Wilmette as well. I'm not sure what the rents run in those areas but if I can find out I will try to post it up on here. There are even more towns to choose from than the ones I listed, but most of the ones I listed are reasonably diverse areas will put you near a lot of things including Northbrook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirikara View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are planning on relocating to Chicago. I will be working in Nortbrook and we do not know yet where my husband will be working but we are guessing north/northwest suburbs.
Here is some of the requirements:
rent no more than $1200 for a 2 bedroooms. I would rather live in an appartment complex. (and I doubt i can afford a nice single house anyway..)
My brother in law is coming with us, but not living with us, we would like to live really near him, and he can't afford much rent ($700??) for a small appartment.
I am french, I lived in London and Paris right after getting my license and therefore have not gotten around driving much. I have my driving license but would want to be close to a mall/ wholefoods market/etc.. without being stuck on the highway forever..
We are not considering dowtown (well my husband is not, I would not mind) more the suburbs.
We want to buy a house within 2 years. and will have small budget (for a small house 250K)
The nightlife is not really a major issue, we do not need it locally, but we like nice restaurants and love local coffes shops
A near by park or lake (let's dream) would be great but not necessary. But I guess it is true for everybody.
Any suggestions?
Am I searching the right way by looking into northwest suburbs and northern suburbs ?
Thanks for any help!
(Sorry if you feel like this post is a repeat from other post. But i have looked around the forum before posting)

Old 12-22-2006, 08:47 AM

21 posts, read 37,823 times
Default thanks

I will definitely look into those places. I am sure there is tons of places we could go to, and really that is the main problem..!! we will probably get there and stay in appartment/suites style hotel for a week and look around before we actually make a decision..But it would be nice to where to start.
thanks!
and if anybody has some suggestions..it always helps!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:35 AM

8 posts, read 22,204 times
You need to live in the burbs. Living in the city is not going to work to well with that commute to Northbrook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago