Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 11:50 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,435 times

Advertisements

I think most people here, booster, hater, and everyone in between, would agree Lori and Foxx need to go. They are cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 07:58 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I think a lot of what you say is true. I think Chicago will rise again despite the fact that it has many problems.
The only way to save Chicago is to send all of the politicians to the middle of Alaska and start from scratch. It felt like the city was working against me at times, mostly because of laws and policies that were enacted by corrupt politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
Lol...was reading through this thread and man are people reaching. Dallas has like 20 suburbs competing with it for business, relocations, recreation, etc. It will never be Chicago. Chicago doesnt have that problem with competing suburbs, Downtown Chicago is the core. And besides that, anybody who lived/visited both cities will let you know these 2 cities are nothing alike.
I live in Dallas now and the suburban feel is a blessing and a curse. The nice thing is that jobs are spread out all over the area. You can find jobs in Fort Worth, Dallas, and there are a TON in the north suburbs like Plano. Chicago does have jobs in the suburbs, but very few in the city outside of downtown. If you want to live in the suburbs and have to commute to downtown every day, that's a dealbreaker for a lot of people. In Dallas, you can just buy a house near your job in the suburbs.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:01 PM

226 posts, read 132,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The only way to save Chicago is to send all of the politicians to the middle of Alaska and start from scratch. It felt like the city was working against me at times, mostly because of laws and policies that were enacted by corrupt politicians.

How you liking DFW?

Old 02-16-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
How you liking DFW?
It's a bit boring here at times, but I have a much better quality of life. Salaries are similar as Chicago but the cost of living is lower here. My rent is about the same, but I have a larger apartment with a pool and gym. Everything costs less here. Cocktails at the bar, food at restaurants, groceries, etc.

I do miss being able to walk places and miss public transit (just not the sketchy people on the trains). It would also be nice to have a decent pizza, breaded steak, and Italian beef sometimes, but the margaritas and Tex-Mex make up for it.

For people that like a suburban lifestyle, I can see why so many people move here.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:06 AM

12,818 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
It's a bit boring here at times, but I have a much better quality of life. Salaries are similar as Chicago but the cost of living is lower here. My rent is about the same, but I have a larger apartment with a pool and gym. Everything costs less here. Cocktails at the bar, food at restaurants, groceries, etc.

I do miss being able to walk places and miss public transit (just not the sketchy people on the trains). It would also be nice to have a decent pizza, breaded steak, and Italian beef sometimes, but the margaritas and Tex-Mex make up for it.

For people that like a suburban lifestyle, I can see why so many people move here.
Hard to argue with that. Dallas is great if you like suburban living.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:10 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Quote:

And no more snow and bitter cold to deal with. Of course, summers are toasty.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
And no more snow and bitter cold to deal with. Of course, summers are toasty.
I'm not a fan of Texas summers but anything is better than an upper Midwest winter.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:02 AM

154 posts, read 115,768 times
Quote:
Lol...was reading through this thread and man are people reaching. Dallas has like 20 suburbs competing with it for business, relocations, recreation, etc. It will never be Chicago. Chicago doesnt have that problem with competing suburbs, Downtown Chicago is the core. And besides that, anybody who lived/visited both cities will let you know these 2 cities are nothing alike.
Wish I could find the article...but remember a few years back CityLab published an article actually stating the opposite, that the Chi is far more economically decentralized than most would think. For instance, even though it's still technically the city look at how many people commute out to Cumberland (at least pre-covid).

Old 02-24-2022, 06:22 AM

74 posts, read 67,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycomoque View Post
Wish I could find the article...but remember a few years back CityLab published an article actually stating the opposite, that the Chi is far more economically decentralized than most would think. For instance, even though it's still technically the city look at how many people commute out to Cumberland (at least pre-covid).
Ironically the covid pandemic might make the Chicago layout incredibly attractive. If offices decide to locate downtown for employees to meet 1-2 days per week/month then have a transit system like Chicago's actually makes a ton of sense.

I'm still disheartened that Chicago doesn't invest in the great assets it has such as the port or rail/L/Metra system while we have the advantage vs most "up and coming" cities.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:25 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,435 times
I don't know anything about the Port, but there are clearly a number of major CTA projects (Purple line straightening, rebuilding half a dozen northside Red line stops) and near future (Damen/Lake Green stop, extending Red to 130th).

What's a real kick to the balls is there was a Humboldt Park line for decades (from Logan to Lawndale). Before my time (and I presume most posters), but how wonderful would that have been in 2022.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago