Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:18 PM

16 posts, read 115,456 times

Advertisements

Have never been and would love to go - need suggestions on where to stay. Midlevel or above hotel near the parade and bar scene. Any suggestions?

Last edited by linicx; 05-12-2010 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 09:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,586,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reau482 View Post
Have never been and would love to go - need suggestions on where to stay. Midlevel or above hotel near the parade and bar scene. Any suggestions?
Which parade are you going to? The downtown parade or the South Side parade?

Old 12-18-2006, 11:34 PM

The downtown parade.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:43 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,369,466 times
The downtown parade will run the Saturday before St Patricks day down Columbus drive through grant park. I would recommend staying at the Hotel Monaco on Wabash or Hard Rock Hotel on Michigan, both are walking distance and there is an Irish Bar called Emerald Loop right across the street from the Monaco.

HOWEVER, if you wish to party like a Chicagoan, also make plans to visit the south side irish parade on the next day (Sunday before St. Patrick's Day). The parade runs down Western Ave from 103rd st to 115th st, every other establishment on the west side of the street is an Irish pub. Do not drive there! You will end up drunk. Most Irish pubs downtown or on the north side will run a charter bus (complete with keg) down to the parade route. If you do not drink the east side of the street has been designated as the family side, so you can also bring kids.

This parade has taken the world stage since 2001. Mostly thanks to the Chicago Fire Department. the CFD went to New York to help out after the World Trade Center. After spending a few weeks with FDNY and all the other fire departments throughout the US. The CFD invited everyone out to Chicago to join them at the South Side Irish Parade. FDNY, Cleveland, San Francisco, Dayton, and Boston all came and marched. Then after they marched every bar on Western was packed with folks from fire departments all over the united states with this look of amazement of how much fun they were having on a sunday afternoon in March. All of those departments have come back with a bigger and bigger representation every year since.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:14 AM

WOW - I had no idea, it looks like we have to go to both parades! We are moving to Chicago area and trying to get find our way around. Sounds like lots of fun. Family in California wants to come join us! We will finally be living somewhere that they want to come visit! We have tons of points at Holiday Inn - is there a HI or Crown Plaza convenient to all of this??

Old 12-19-2006, 09:17 AM

I just sent your entire post to my brother who wants to come out for the fun, thanks so much for the info!

Old 12-19-2006, 10:00 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,369,466 times
Heres what you can expect at the South Side Irish parade

also check the organization website periodically for updates
http://southsideirishparade.org/

If you are planning on doing both parades I would recommend staying at any of the downtown Holiday Inn's (none are close to the parade but cabs are everywhere) Then try to find a bar running a charter to the South Side. The Hotel you choose may be able to help you out with finding a local establishment running a charter. The charter will probably cost you $30 bucks or so per person for a breakfast and beer and a bus ride, but well worth it, especially if you are not familiar with the area.

I will post info if i run across anything closer to the day

Old 12-19-2006, 06:10 PM

YIKES! I had no idea it was that big, can't wait, looks like fun. We are moving from MS and really miss the New Orleans atmosphere. This looks like fun!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 PM

157 posts, read 364,927 times
Default St Patty's Day this year?

What day is it going to be celebrated? I know it is different than the actual day (something to do with the Catholic church), right?

What will you be doing that day?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,781,406 times
Real Chicagoans celebrate the whole week around St. Patrick's Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago