Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 05:45 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,475,384 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if you think Chicago is a good city for working in the creative field(can be anything from film to tv to advertising/commercials). I have a degree from USC in TV&media studies with a minor in Advertising. I currently work for a large film studio. I am sick and tired of Los Angeles though. I recently visited Chicago and fell completely in love with the city. I have done some research and it looks like there are some creative jobs(from google to McDonalds to advertising) and some TV film jobs, but research can only do so much.

I was wondering if, from a local perspective, Chicago would be a descent city for someone looking for work in the creative field. I just turned 25 and I want to explores a new city, I figured that being in your 20s is the right time to do it. I also wanted to know how realistic it would be to live alone in downtown area? My budget would be 1,500/1,600 ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 08:45 PM

459 posts, read 475,875 times
I was looking to move to Minneapolis, St.Paul area for a fresh start in the IT field last year. I wanted to take my time and make sure it's what I really wanted. If I felt the same way in one year I was going to go ahead with my move. I am really really really glad I didn't do that move. The only thing I suggest is make sure it's what you really want and to not move on impulse, because you may not feel this way in one year time. I would think the Los Angeles market would be a lot larger market compared to Chicago's market for TV&Media. This is a move I don't think I would do if I were in your position. Exploring a new city in my opinion wouldn't be enough of a reason for me to move. Visit Chicago in the winter time make sure you love all the seasons and put together a pro's and con's list and write it out! Then see where you are and see if this is something you truly want to do and will you be happy here years down the road?

Old 04-10-2019, 01:33 PM

37,185 posts, read 39,473,415 times
What do you do within film and television? There’s not nearly the same scale of industry in Chicago as there is in LA, but Chicago’s tv and film production has been growing for seven consecutive years with several shows produced in the city.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:52 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,857 times
For film/TV I would think it's average. The only cities where you will find a lot of opportunities in that are NYC and LA. To a smaller extent Atlanta and Miami (Latin American TV and film). Then maybe Chicago comes after that, but it's a huge gap from the top ones.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:19 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,524,019 times
Chicago is very active and these links may help you.

https://www2.illinois.gov/dceo/whyil...s/default.aspx

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...lm_office.html

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...lm_office.html

Old 04-10-2019, 03:02 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,475,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What do you do within film and television? There’s not nearly the same scale of industry in Chicago as there is in LA, but Chicago’s tv and film production has been growing for seven consecutive years with several shows produced in the city.
I'm in the marketing/advertisement side right now!

Old 04-10-2019, 04:27 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Okay marketing and advertising Chicago is a great city for this. Probably the second best for Advertising after NYC and after third best in marketing after NYC and LA (maybe SF as they tech industry really requires a lot of marketing).

I work in marketing and those opportunities are abound here in Chicago.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:06 PM

332 posts, read 525,696 times
I'm going to flip the question the other way -- are there specifics as to why you are sick and tired of LA? Just wondering as I love it there when I go visit, a lot of my closest friends are there (either from being from there or moving there), and a lot of the time I'm not super in love with Chicago. Buuuuut -- for me my I'm-done-with-Chicago side may have to deal with other non-Chicago things that are specific to me -- such as I love to travel and don't travel enough, a ton of my friends have moved away, etc etc. LOL so if you and I were to switch cities what would I hate about LA?

From a practical standpoint, Chicago is great for major cities as far as cost/ease of access to amenities/etc. CTA + Uber/Lyft makes Chicago super easy to get around. I live close enough to Wrigley I can hear the roar of the stadium before the 3 second TV delay and I pay $875 -- keeping it cheap by living in a studio. And no car just the $105 monthly CTA pass which means everytime I get an I-wish-I-lived-in-LA thought the budget says wait a minute. The financial value of Chicago all things considered is incredibly awesome. You should be able to find a place downtown near within your budget.

When I'm in Chicago, I'm usually in a relatively smaller area -- the transit connected north side neighborhoods as compared to LA where I usually bounce around from Venice to WeHO to Koreatown to DTLA to Silverlake and will also venture to San Diego and occasionally Long Beach as well. Also when I'm in LA I'm there just for fun so I'm not dealing with the day-to-day of work/errands/paying bills/etc.

As for TV/film/marketing -- I'm not in your field so I can't comment on that side, but there are a lot of jobs in a lot of fields in Chicago, and a very diverse economy. But I know LA reasonably decently so I can help in the city comparison.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:15 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,180,502 times
Obviously LA and NYC are the big ponds in the US. Chicago has always been okay for film and television, but hasn't been a top contender for 100 years now.

But, as others have said, with the opening of Cinespace studios a while back, it's been a growth industry here, and with political problems in Georgia, Chicago may absorb some fallout from that.

The fact that you're in advertising marketing instead of production, too, makes a big difference. If you're flexible about what you market, there is a lot of marketing opportunity here - Chicago is a top marketing center for the U.S.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:55 AM

37,185 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Ah, should be fine then. I say do some more research, but otherwise give it a go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: