Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 06:37 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Thanks, Jay.

As for " I always wonder if the new residents near Cabrini Green, or the students and clientele at the area on Maxwell Street have any idea what the area USED to look like", the new residents near CG and UIC students may very well have no idea of what those places looked like, just like they probably had no idea of what anyplace looked like 5 years ago. We live in strange times...no past, no future, (and what the hell, no context) just what is in front of us at the moment. Did I use hyperbole here? Sure. But I do think that what I wrote sums things up.
Those two areas have undergone such significant change. I remember driving to UIC in the early 2000s to take the placement exam for UIUC and from Cermak most of the way to Roosevelt looking pretty run down, maybe a couple new buildings closer to Roosevelt. Even during the next couple years, that area underwent significant change, with development spanning several blocks south. Now it expands well past 18th Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 06:46 AM

4,645 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Mr. edsg25, the students and clientele may not have any idea what ANY place looked like 5 years ago, I agree. But for me, I have always enjoyed the history of your city and learning about the neighborhoods. I do have some MIXED feelings on how I have personally watched some of the changes. Sometimes, I think the changes can be positive. When I think 20 years ago or more I remember the area near 18th and Halsted having a more urban (and emptied area) feel, and over the years I started noticing Art-related store fronts, although a less Hispanic vibe. Or another example, in the last 5 years I enjoyed the German flavor of the Brauhaus in the Lincoln Square, given that it is probably the most "Germanic" neighborhood left in Chicago. It was very beautiful. And now it is gone, and very much missed! Nonetheless, Chicago is always a home to me. Yes, there has been some unfortunate episodes in its history. The idea is to learn from it an hopefully not make the same mistakes. Certainly, there is a beauty and energy to the city that should not be overlooked! Have a great day, everyone!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 03-08-2019, 01:30 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times
This forum also focuses on where different ethnic groups are now living. Starting in the 1980s, Bloomingdale in the west suburbs has become a popular destinations for Italians.

Since Lake St. traverses through this community, it has served as a path of mobility for Italians who lived in the West Cook Co. suburbs (Melrose Park, Northlake, etc.) and left those town as Hispanics began to move there in large numbers.

The concentration of Italians in Bloomingdale can be witnessed by the fact that one of Chicago's funeral homes owned by Italians, Salerno's, has a funeral chapel located on Lake St. on the Bloomingdale-Roselle border.

Also, the Italian-American Sports Hall of Fame, which recently closed its site on Taylor St. on the Near West Side, is reportedly looking to relocate in Bloomingdale.

I know at least 6 Italian-American families who are now living in Bloomingdale. Most of them moved there from West Cook Co. or from other Du Page Co. suburbs.

Bloomingdale is jokingly referred to as 'The New Italian Heaven.'

Old 03-08-2019, 03:08 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
This forum also focuses on where different ethnic groups are now living. Starting in the 1980s, Bloomingdale in the west suburbs has become a popular destinations for Italians.

Since Lake St. traverses through this community, it has served as a path of mobility for Italians who lived in the West Cook Co. suburbs (Melrose Park, Northlake, etc.) and left those town as Hispanics began to move there in large numbers.

The concentration of Italians in Bloomingdale can be witnessed by the fact that one of Chicago's funeral homes owned by Italians, Salerno's, has a funeral chapel located on Lake St. on the Bloomingdale-Roselle border.

Also, the Italian-American Sports Hall of Fame, which recently closed its site on Taylor St. on the Near West Side, is reportedly looking to relocate in Bloomingdale.

I know at least 6 Italian-American families who are now living in Bloomingdale. Most of them moved there from West Cook Co. or from other Du Page Co. suburbs.

Bloomingdale is jokingly referred to as 'The New Italian Heaven.'

Yeah, I once had a young man working under me as a temp who was very Italian, and he lived in Bloomingdale.

And the one time I visited Stratford Square Mall, the clientele seemed to lean heavily Italian.

And all this was over 20 years ago!

Old 03-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Well, learn something new everyday! I'm not familiar with Bloomingdale at all. Thank you for the lesson, guys!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 03-08-2019, 05:34 PM

504 posts, read 496,253 times
This thread became great! Can we talk about the Germans now? Did we ever have a French population?

Old 03-08-2019, 06:42 PM

OKParker, didn't I mention the Germans who left their impression, to this day, in one of my favorite neighborhoods?: Lincoln Square- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 03-08-2019, 07:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Apparently the North Side's Uptown neighborhood was a popular destination for Anglo Southern migrants after WW2. I think in NW Indiana Hammond and Valparaiso also were. I had lots of extended family who moved to both from Appalachia.

https://www.wbez.org/shows/curious-c...7-14c4f614f424

Old 03-08-2019, 07:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
I bet you did not know that back in the 1880s, German speaking students were the largest immigrant group in the Chicago Public Schools and in many schools, classes were conducted in German.

Schools and Education

Quote:
In a growing number of schools it was possible to find classes conducted in German, in response to political pressure from the city's largest non-English-speaking ethnic group. Superintendent Albert G. Lane (1891–1898) was emblematic of leaders concerned both with improving the quality of instruction and the efficiency of district operations.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:57 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
This thread became great!
Quote:
Did we ever have a French population?
Not to my knowledge, although of course the first explorers of the upper midwest/great lakes were mostly french.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago