Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 05:23 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times

Advertisements

I read "Redlined", which was written by Linda Gartz, who is a Chicago native and local television producer. She grew up on Chicago's west side, specifically, in West Garfield Park. In her book, Linda writes about the blockbusting scare tactics used by realtors to prod white homeowners to sell their homes to them at low prices, and in turn the realtors would sell to African Americans at higher prices, causing neighborhoods to change racially. She also focuses on the role of the federal government in color coding urban neighborhoods for the purpose of lending mortgages. Obviously, neighborhoods which were coded red already had African Americans living in them. The residents of these areas were denied conventional mortgages.

While I realize than this was a national practice and it impacted citizens throughout the US, do any posters have firsthand stories to share about being 'forced' to move from 'changing' neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 04:11 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,801 times
I don't have firsthand experience, but you might find this article, which deals in part with blockbusting (and efforts against it) in Beverly (neighborhood on the far south side), interesting.

https://www.wbez.org/shows/curious-c...9-39a7791c6c0d

Old 01-09-2019, 09:03 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
realtors would sell to African Americans at higher prices, causing neighborhoods to change racially.

This type of thing happens to black people all the time, and not just in real estate. Black people pay higher prices for many things. It's amazing that gas in the wealthiest neighborhoods cost less than in the poorest. So it's always laughable to me when people talk about taxes and welfare. Hey, I'll trade economic places with you. Whatever people think black people don't pay in taxes or are sucking from them is more than made up for in daily living expenses. America would collapse if it couldn't take advantage of us economically. This is why we are always kept at the bottom.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:02 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
treemoni, such a sad way to end your comment... I would hope you would not feel like you are at the bottom of "anything" in life. But I have to respect your opinion and your analysis...Here in the Courthouse I have certainly had my debates with people on the ability for a person to "raise themselves up by their bootstraps." Now this is just MY take on things: I am Latino. I lived with the gang mentality for several years. I bought into the whole Mexican vs. Puerto Rican/ Mexican vs. Black/ Mexican vs. White ideology. The only thing I learned was it got me NO WHERE!... Educational opportunities are out there! Employment opportunities are out there! NO ONE typically gets something right away. NOTHING is always free. It takes hard work and devotion to earn something. I was not just GIVEN a Black Belt. I had to work for it. And then I worked even harder to finally reach a 7th degree black belt. And with my own experiences, and my field, I strive to teach others that ANYONE can do whatever you want if you work hard, never give up, and believe in yourself. Unfortunately there are households where children grow up not always hearing this (I can attest!). "It takes a village to raise a child". But do I think someone can raise themselves up from their bootstraps? ABSOLUTELY!- Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 01-10-2019, 08:17 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times
Very well said Master Jay! Successful people always have a hard working and solution based mentality. Unsuccessful people always play the victim and have a problem/excuse based mentality.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
I don't think I'm on the bottom of anything. But I can't say the same for my group. Reality is reality. Truh is truth. America cannot sustain itself without stealing from the true heirs of the land. It's cool, though. Her time is drawing to a close.

To me, there is no "winning" if we all can't eat. I may be doing fine, but if the majority are not, what good is it?

Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
dtcbnd03, thank you. people have different levels of self-motivation. Some people need more encouragement than others. This applies to other areas as well (such as quitting smoking, starting a fitness program, etc.). Sometimes, life experiences will even raise the "inner motivating coach" where we begin to make positive goals and life choices on our own! The point being: everyone CAN succeed. Everyone CAN make positive choices. But when a person has essentially given up on life, respect for self and others, positivity and empathy are out the window. Hence, this is why we try to reach others the best we can to offer a different viewpoint. We also, in social work and martial arts, do the best WE can to improve our selves, and try to help others help themselves!- Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 AM

529 posts, read 647,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
This type of thing happens to black people all the time, and not just in real estate. Black people pay higher prices for many things. It's amazing that gas in the wealthiest neighborhoods cost less than in the poorest. So it's always laughable to me when people talk about taxes and welfare. Hey, I'll trade economic places with you. Whatever people think black people don't pay in taxes or are sucking from them is more than made up for in daily living expenses. America would collapse if it couldn't take advantage of us economically. This is why we are always kept at the bottom.

The policies of the elite prey off the poorest of people. Stupid clean air laws that disproportionately impact the poorest of people who can't afford to purchase a new car. Annual tests of their cars and hundreds of dollars in repairs to be able to pass the test. If the car doesn't pass, can't renew registration. Get pulled over, that's another couple hundred dollars. Gas taxes are highest in urban areas, tobacco and alcohol taxes, sales taxes are very high, property tax % is very high in poor south suburbs. etc, etc

Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 AM

629 posts, read 543,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
The policies of the elite prey off the poorest of people. Stupid clean air laws that disproportionately impact the poorest of people who can't afford to purchase a new car. Annual tests of their cars and hundreds of dollars in repairs to be able to pass the test. If the car doesn't pass, can't renew registration. Get pulled over, that's another couple hundred dollars. Gas taxes are highest in urban areas, tobacco and alcohol taxes, sales taxes are very high, property tax % is very high in poor south suburbs. etc, etc

and yet poor people vote for the people who create these stupid laws and taxes (cig taxes, car fees, soda taxes) because they believe the boogie man these jerks create

its a vicious cycle

Old 01-10-2019, 09:33 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
Wait until the Green New Deal comes!

Anyway, back to point, I agree there was blockbusting in the 1950s and 60s. Terrible situation all the way around. But that practice has been outlawed for some time.

It's now pretty easy to get a loan on a property in a predominantly African-American neighborhood. The FHA will give you a loan with only three and a half percent down and there are even incentives for buyers of distressed properties in low-income neighborhoods. Progressives who currently live in wealthier Chicago neighborhoods can not only save money but can also contribute to social Justice by making an "affirmative move" into such a neighborhood. Bonus points if they send their kids to the schools there!

Of course, I have been saying this for some time and these individuals, despite their passions for social justice, continue to avoid disadvantaged Community Areas in general and predominantly African-American neighborhoods in particular. Except for some amateur investors buying in East Garfield Park of course, though I unfortunately suspect a lot of that is being driven by anticipated gentrification versus any desire to rectify past wrongs. But I am still holding my breath for change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago