Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 9,684 times

Advertisements

I recently was offered an internship opportunity in downtown chicago and I am from Nebraska. I was told to look for housing North of downtown and for the most part stay away from south and west. I'm having difficulties finding a place that would fit my bill. I'm looking for inexpensive place to stay for just the summer to take the internship experience. is there any option or place I would be able to stay for around $500 a month. I've been looking online for the past week and just can't seem to find anything around that price. Also, what is a reasonable distance to commute to work in the downtown area from home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 10:43 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Check out this post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ons-about.html
For info on neighborhoods, etc

Your best bet for $500 is going to be renting a room in an apartment (a sublet) for the summer. You should check out craigslist for this. Otherwise, you'll probably need to raise your price.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:43 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
jtjohnny102 - at that price, you are probably going to have to take on a roommate, especially since you can't sign a year long lease. $500 closet-like studios do exist though, however, I'm not sure if renting them just for the summer is an option.

You might also look at UIC or SAIC summer housing for interns

Summer Intern Housing – UIC Campus Housing
Housing : The School of the Art Institute of Chicago

It is unfortunately quite a bit more than you want to pay, but it certainly is flexible when it comes to dates, other places may not be. Also, you would be either right downtown or very close to downtown, which is ideal if you don't know the city very well.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 PM

249 posts, read 685,371 times
It's fun to stay at the ...

Lake View YMCA :: Residence :: Benefits and Cost (http://www.lakeviewymca.org/resHome.html#cost - broken link)

Well, maybe that's not true, but it does fit your budget, it's on the North Side in (or at least at the edge) of some vibrant neighborhoods, and it's a block from the L for the commute downtown. If you look at it as simply a place to sleep, and you'll be spending all of your days/evenings/weekends immersed in the internship and experiencing the city, it's not a terrible option.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Northside View Post

Lake View YMCA :: Residence :: Benefits and Cost (http://www.lakeviewymca.org/resHome.html#cost - broken link)

Well, maybe that's not true, but it does fit your budget, it's on the North Side in (or at least at the edge) of some vibrant neighborhoods, and it's a block from the L for the commute downtown. If you look at it as simply a place to sleep, and you'll be spending all of your days/evenings/weekends immersed in the internship and experiencing the city, it's not a terrible option.
I concur and that part of Lake View is very vibrant.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:21 AM

62 posts, read 274,835 times
Quote:

I'm moving to Chicago in June and I'm having some trouble finding a place (especially since I'm doing searching long distance). How easy/hard is it to get a room at the ymca? Can anyone get a room or is more catered towards people who really need this kind of service?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
It is not that difficult as long as they have open rooms.Call them up. There is one in Irving Park and one in Evanston as well as in Niles...I would stay away from the one in Near North.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:22 AM

3 posts, read 11,090 times
Hi all,
I have similar problem.I'll come to Chicago at the end of June and I'm looking for something cheap in student area. I'm a student from Poland I never been to US. If you have any advices or know someone who could help I would be grateful for posting.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:

According to their website, they require a minimum 1-year lease.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:42 AM

3 posts, read 11,090 times
Uhm, but I'll stay only 2 moths in US, so I must look futher. thanks for looking and if you have any other ideas please post it ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago