Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

It isn't going to be a fun commute any way you do it from deep in the city to Niles. LSD: it is a long slog west with lots of stop lights and traffic from Edgewater.

Public transit either Edgebrook is a mile from there you could bring a folding bike. Some businesses have a shuttle to take employees to the train station you might ask Shure. The MDN line though doesn't go directly to the fun areas of the city. Also the stretch on Lehigh from Devon to Touhy is a bit narrow and dicey though I have ridden it.
Another option is to ride from Oakton-Skokie on the Yellow line. That is a little over 2 miles.

I'd say the best bet is to live near a public transit stop close to work, drive to work, and take the L or metra into the city on nights and weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 12:26 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I wonder what the time/cost/reliability of an Uber/Lyft + transit combination is relative to owning and maintaining a car would be.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:31 PM

32 posts, read 38,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Actually, lakeshore drive is your friend here. You can take lakeshore up to edgewater so it might be faster to be closer to the lake. My fiancee works literally 2 miles from you (further north) and we live on the lakeshore in a full amenity building. It takes her around 40 minutes door to door. If you're looking for amenity's there are plenty of large high rises along the lake that will fit the bill and are still close to all of the action.

Check out Lake Park Plaza, Park Place Tower, the New York Residences, 3550 N Lakeshore Drive, 3950 N Lakeshore Drive, 3600 N Lakeshore Drive. All of those have decent amenities.
Didn't even think of that. Is the traffic on Lakeshore Drive going to be more predictable than slogging through city streets to I90/I94? Would be awesome to be able to live close to the lake.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:49 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggles View Post
Is the traffic on Lakeshore Drive going to be more predictable than slogging through city streets to I90/I94?
Yes. It's right after you get off the Drive that traffic slows, but it's nowhere near as difficult and unpredictable as driving crosstown to 90/94 at rush hour.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:12 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
I would still think it could take upwards of 40 minutes to get to Shure from Hollywood/Lakeshore Dr. Add time if living further south. YMMV

Old 05-04-2018, 04:57 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
How about Jefferson Park? It is a short trip up Milwaukee to Touhy to work and you can hop right on the blue line to downtown.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:13 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
How about Jefferson Park? It is a short trip up Milwaukee to Touhy to work and you can hop right on the blue line to downtown.
Given what he's looking for in a neighborhood, I'd advise against this. Pretty safe area and short commute to work, but it would be a really boring neighborhood for a 26 year old who's not from here looking to live where there's a lot of young professionals.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:19 AM

32 posts, read 38,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Given what he's looking for in a neighborhood, I'd advise against this. Pretty safe area and short commute to work, but it would be a really boring neighborhood for a 26 year old who's not from here looking to live where there's a lot of young professionals.
It sounds like it might be a great area for me when I'm looking to settle down in a few years but doesn't seem like a great idea right now. How is the area in Wicker Park right next to the Division blue line stop? I found a nice new construction condo that my potential roommate is checking out Saturday.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:26 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
^ yeah, Jefferson Park is nice and quiet. Probably not what you want at this stage of your life. Of course, it is easy to get to Logan and Avondale on the Blue line from there.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:39 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggles View Post
It sounds like it might be a great area for me when I'm looking to settle down in a few years but doesn't seem like a great idea right now. How is the area in Wicker Park right next to the Division blue line stop? I found a nice new construction condo that my potential roommate is checking out Saturday.
It's pretty good, actually. It's not as built up as the North and Damen intersection, but it's still walking distance to that as well as places you might want to go on Milwaukee or on Division between Ashland and Leavitt. It's close to the expressway. It's also walking distance to Jewel (supermarket), which I know you can drive to a grocery store from anywhere, but if you park your car on the street and don't want to lose a good spot, driving to the grocery store becomes less appealing.

In my experience, there's less congestion near the Division Blue Line stop than the Damen Blue Line stop.
The Division Blue Line stop is not a true 6-way intersection as Division and Ashland intersect just south of Milwaukee and Ashland. Ashland and Division both have 2 lanes of traffic in each direction. At Damen/North/Milwaukee, all 3 streets are one lane in each direction, which contributes to it being kind of a traffic nightmare. Ashland also gives you good bus access if you don't want to pay for an Uber - it can take you north to Lakeview/Lincoln Park or south to the United Center.

If I were to live in Wicker Park, my preference would be closer to the Division stop than the Damen stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago