Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 01:28 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,582,510 times

Advertisements

Depends on your definition or up and coming. And the south side for that matter.

Bronzeville has some new, beautiful properties at fantastic prices, but the commercial districts have much to be desired.

Heart of Italy (sort of in between Pilsen and Little Village along Oakley) is a pretty neat time capsule from better days, with quite a few outstanding Italian restaurants. I could see that area expanding a bit and absorbing some of Pilsen's momentum.

God knows the city is trying to make Pullman something special, and to some it's probably a sound investment.

Bridgeport is awesome, getting up there in price, and the arts scene is always fun. Not a bad place to have a condo; I wouldn't bother with a SFH though unless you're building ground up.

I suppose SOME of Woodlawn could see overlap from Hyde Park and the University in the near future, and 63rd has the bones to re-emerge as something nice, at least by South Side standards. Perhaps a parallel to 53'rds commercial corridor. The walk from 63rd to 60th on Cottage could be a microcosm of better things to come, and Woodlawn already has two outstanding coffee shops - Green Line and Robust.

And finally, McKinley Park is sleepy but 20 percent (and growing) Asian, which easily reflects the neighborhoods functionality and livability. Used to be follow the gays, then hipsters, now it's Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 03:56 PM

187 posts, read 185,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Pilsen?
Pilsen is in the Lower West Side community area. So no, it's not on the south side.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:07 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
pilsen is not south side.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:09 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Oh good grief!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
Pilsen is in the Lower West Side community area. So no, it's not on the south side.
In cartography / urban geography the term “lower” is synonymous with “south”. Further the standard dividing N/S line in Chicago is MADISON Ave.

Even if you instead use the “South Loop” sort of dividing line of Congress or Roosevelt Pilsen is still south...

Old 02-21-2018, 07:23 PM

504 posts, read 496,941 times
Does South Loop count? I would put that in as my vote.

I love the large Bronzeville area, but wouldn't call it cool. Woodlawn is definitely not cool, but has investment potential if that's what you're looking for.

Behind the South Loop, Bridgeport is probably second.. but definitely not one of the top neighborhoods in Chicago. I'm honestly concerned that the south is going to die slowly rather than have a rebirth considering how rapidly the northwest is developing - something I don't like, because the south has a lot of geographical potential due to lake-proximity... but Chicago is a city that can hold a couple million more people than it currently has, so it will probably be a while before the Woodlawn/South Shore/Washington Park become on a white millennial's list

Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 PM

50 posts, read 47,452 times
Dang, was really hoping for some options, hopefully neighborhoods will improve and maybe the south side will have a new name

Old 02-21-2018, 07:29 PM

50 posts, read 47,452 times
I do know that the south side has some AMAZING nature and parks, and some cool history to savor tho

Old 02-21-2018, 08:59 PM

504 posts, read 496,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkhan21 View Post
I do know that the south side has some AMAZING nature and parks, and some cool history to savor tho
Well if that's what you consider cool - then Grand Boulevard is what I would recommend. It has a few places to eat that are good, is close to Hyde Park food, definitely up-and-coming (in terms of real estate, and new stores), is close to Washington Park, has amazing transit (green, a few buses), and has my favorite architecture in all of Chicago.

I feel safe in the area, but west of MLK is noticeably less safe.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:03 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
So-called "Downtown Hyde Park" around 53rd Street has seen a lot of development. I don't know if it counts as gentrification, as Hyde Park and Kenwood are generally regarded as intact and developed neighborhoods. That being said, I don't think anyone would argue that 53rd Street didn't used to be blighted.

The South Loop, Bronzeville, Chinatown, and Bridgeport are actively gentrifying.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:03 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In cartography / urban geography the term “lower” is synonymous with “south”. Further the standard dividing N/S line in Chicago is MADISON Ave.

Even if you instead use the “South Loop” sort of dividing line of Congress or Roosevelt Pilsen is still south...
No. That's west side. The Real south side starts at like south of cermack.

Between North and Cermack it's West side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago