Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 28,363 times

Advertisements

Family of four including one teenager and one pre-teen (boys).

We've visited Chicago many times but haven't explored suburbs. I'll be working in downtown, don't want to live there. Would appreciate any advice you can offer on a nice suburb 30-45 minutes away as well as schools good/bad/avoid.

Looking for 3500sqft+ home, 3-car+ garage, in-ground pool a plus. Will need extra space for inlaws to keep the family happy. We know it's cold, but someone has to swim there sometime!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2006, 10:12 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Wow, that is a big house and a lot of space you are looking for. Where are you moving from and what sort of community and/or suburb are you looking for? I'd venture to say a house that big with a pool and garage close to the city is going to be rather expensive, what were you looking to pay?

Old 04-30-2006, 08:10 AM

j33, we're looking for .5 or more acre lots, lots of kids and a strong baptist church. I imagine we'll have to pay $700k or more to get what we have here in Arkansas.

So far I like Bolingbrook, Lemont and Naperville...about 50 minutes away from downtown.

Old 04-30-2006, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 53,956 times
Default Depends on your budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifter125
j33, we're looking for .5 or more acre lots, lots of kids and a strong baptist church. I imagine we'll have to pay $700k or more to get what we have here in Arkansas.

So far I like Bolingbrook, Lemont and Naperville...about 50 minutes away from downtown.
Southwest: If you have no budget issues I would go for Naperville on the West Side since you might be able to get a place near the METRA line and that great downtown. This is the great thing about Chicago - there are tons of rail options for commuters.

Homer Glen is not very close to the train (Lemont would be the closest stop) and has a lot of huge houses to build or for sale. It is nice and quiet and laid back and keeps getting more shopping and new homes.

Orland Park is also a good option with two METRA stops, new homes, and lots of shopping.

North Shore: If you can afford a million dollar home and taxes in the tens of thousands I would suggest the North Shore sububs north of Evanston.

North: My favorite place up here is Libertyville, IL. Chances are you cannot find a large spread anymore, but this city has a METRA line to the city, a cute downtown, and is close to shopping and Great America for the kids.

West: I like La Grange Park or Forrest Park but these are old suburbs where houses are going up and up and up in terms of cost. La Grange Park has a nice shopping district and grand old homes within walking distance of the METRA. Forrest Park has some great old mansions as does Oak Park. Glen Ellyn is nice, then there is Wheaton - home to Wheaton College (evangelical) and also has easy access to the city. A lot of newer homes seem to be going up in Downers Grove, but that area seems sort of generic.

Cheaper options:

South Suburbs: Flossmoor/Homewood are two gems on the far South Side METRA (I think it has baptist churches). They have little town centers, restaraunts, good schools, and the train line is in the center of town in both cities.

Northwest Indiana:

Do you want to live like a VERY RICH person and do it for half the price?

If you don't mind a drive/park situation on the South Shore/METRA check out Crown Point, IN or Dyer, IN (all south of Interstate 80 and away from Gary or the factory areas).

In Northwest Indiana you could build a mansion with a pool and an acre or two for 50-60% of the cost of a Chicago home and have all the shopping, etc., you can find in Chicago in nearby Hobart/Merrillville where new Chicago stores are building branches every week along with all the "big box" and chain stores.

Northwest Indiana also has a whole lot of folks from Arkansas and the South so you will find a Baptist church to be sure. The public schools are good in these areas, taxes are much lower than IL, and gas prices are cheaper too.

The only problem is that you have to drive up from the nice suburbs and do park-and-ride from Gary Metro Center, Miller Beach, or East Chicago, or drive and take the Skyway into the city.

They are planning a new South Shore line to serve the upscale suburbs south of I-80, but this is still "in the works." Parking is safe at East Chicago station where they have a giant and well patrolled parking lot. Many women we know park here every day and come back safely. When people visit the nice areas around Dyer from Chicago they are usually blown away by the giant custom homes on huge lots that sell for a fraction of the cost of a similar home in Hinsdale, Orland Park, etc.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:39 AM

281 posts, read 928,608 times
Consider Gurnee, north in Lake County. It's a bit further than you specified, but I think they have what you are looking for. Estates at Churchill Hunt is a new Toll Bros. development. Very large homes on 1+ acre lots in the $500-650 range. Immanuel Baptist is a very nice large church and it is within walking distance. Warren Township High is one of the best rated schools in the state. Also very near Six Flags amusement park and the Gurnee Mills shopping complex. Lots of shopping, good restaurants. Nice clean family town, crime is minimal. Fairly close to Metra trains to Chicago.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:23 PM

Thank you all for the great feedback, way better than I expected. We're using all of your suggestions.

Thanks again!!

Old 05-05-2006, 03:40 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,982 times
If you want to stay in the city but still prefer all the perks of the burbs check out the Chicago neighborhood Beverly on the SW side. Features turn of the century housing, pedestrian friendly shopping, award winning schools and nine train stations on two train lines to downtown. Very strong babtist congregation at Morgan Pk. Baptist Church, 11024 S. Bell.

more info at http://www.bapa.org

Old 05-20-2006, 11:57 AM

6 posts, read 92,910 times
With the requirements you're looking for, you need to go to the Frankfort area, aprox 45-60 mins from Chicago. Huge homes and upscale neighborhood. And you're in the price range there too! Lots about .5 acre or better. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:42 AM

Default Naperville

Thank you all for the great feedback...it's been very helpful. We are looking at the Naperville area...thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 6,329 times
I've lived in Naperville for most of my life and would highly recommend it. However, traffic congestion all over town has become a real problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago