Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 06:11 AM

24 posts, read 21,554 times

Advertisements

To be safe is to be smart. I would definitely bring a weapon - a small knife, etc. that is easily accessible or similar - they have them that hang on necklaces - cold steel makes an array. Stay away from sprays, electric devices or other gimmicks. They have pens that can act as a weapon should the need arise - you do not need training, just a fighting instinct in the very rare chance that something happens. Other than that, have fun and be single but always monitor your surroundings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 11:31 AM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
I LOVE [location deleted]! It's one of my favorite Chicago neighborhoods. I'd say you'll be MORE than ok there! ENJOY!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-28-2017 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Location deleted at OP's request.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:53 AM

24 posts, read 21,554 times
If you are female, and they see that you are drunk, you are a target. Do not put yourself in that position - do not listen to the people that say you are safe. Chicago is a city, you need to have street smarts. Keep your head on a swivel and be aware. You can enjoy it and protect yourself as well but do not take it for granted.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:54 AM

103 posts, read 76,591 times
So did you?

Old 10-12-2017, 01:06 PM

222 posts, read 194,747 times
No I want to a restaurant across from me and ate alone they did not have a bar but I wanted to try the food.

I am a guy and one reason I asked about safety is because I want out a lot in my twenties and was in navy I know that if you are at wrong bar say lots of locals and you strike up a conversation with a women that is enough to cause a bad situation.

Lastly I think I am not ready to go out yet I may try to meet friends on meet up.

Me and wife separated two weeks ago and we are still unsure if we are divorcing maybe 60 percent chance divorce. This nay be for other forum but I am not sure I should go drinking.

1. I have not been drunk in a bar in years I am not sure what can happen if I get drunk.

2. I think the number one reason I want to go out alone is to meet a women even if it's just someone to talk to and who knows after couple drinks I might start talking about my situation.

So right now I am more looking at therapy and meet up.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:03 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,636,243 times
if you go out with the mindset of intending to meet someone, you are approaching it from the wrong angle. not to say it cant happen, but these types of relationships tend to form when you least expect them to. just go out an do the things you enjoy. who cares what other people think? when i was single i would take week+ long vacations and road trips by myself. i enjoyed the solitude and the freedom to do and see things on my own schedule. i saw a huge part of the country this way. i would go out to dance and see shows, not because i had the intention of meeting someone, but because i had a passion for the music being played. id go out to eat alone, because i was curious about the food and i wasnt going to let the lack of a partner stop me from experiencing life. i lived this sort of way for years, and look back on those years fondly. sometimes you meet other people, sometimes not. but if you are comfortable with yourself, you are never truly alone. just dont put undue pressure on it! things will happen in their good time.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM

222 posts, read 194,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
if you go out with the mindset of intending to meet someone, you are approaching it from the wrong angle. not to say it cant happen, but these types of relationships tend to form when you least expect them to. just go out an do the things you enjoy. who cares what other people think? when i was single i would take week+ long vacations and road trips by myself. i enjoyed the solitude and the freedom to do and see things on my own schedule. i saw a huge part of the country this way. i would go out to dance and see shows, not because i had the intention of meeting someone, but because i had a passion for the music being played. id go out to eat alone, because i was curious about the food and i wasnt going to let the lack of a partner stop me from experiencing life. i lived this sort of way for years, and look back on those years fondly. sometimes you meet other people, sometimes not. but if you are comfortable with yourself, you are never truly alone. just dont put undue pressure on it! things will happen in their good time.

Thank you for advice sounds like right thing to do responsible respect self and wife becasuse I am separated but still married. Going to try and stay strong and resist urges. Do things I enjoy.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:08 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,380,510 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

You're right, Lincoln Ave. does have a different vibe north of Lawrence. Jimmy's is the name of that pizza place btw, which is decent. I also really like Lincoln Karaoke(a private group room and Asian style, karaoke place), but haven't been there in a while. There's also the divey karaoke bar Hidden Cove, which oddly enough I've never been to. I've always not heard good reviews about that place from both online sources and friends I know, so I still haven't gone there. I'm not sure why there aren't many bars, or restaurants with liquor licenses, when you head north into the North Park and Sauganash neighborhoods. But there aren't for whatever bizarre reason. Used to be a few up that way including The Hollywood bar(Bryn Mawr east of Kimball), but the few that existed seem to all have closed down.

BTW I don't count West Ridge, since there are a few bars in that area. Anyway yeah back to an earlier question, Lincoln Square has been safe whenever I've hit bars in that area. I'll admit sometimes I've wondered about the bar within Cardinal Liquors north of Lawrence on Lincoln, since other friends of mine have said that place is cheap to drink at. Still hadn't gone there and am a tad skeptical, but I'm not opposed to going there once to see what I think of it. Worse comes to worst, maybe my lone experience there won't be nice and I don't return, or that place will surprise me and it won't be bad. Who knows? Also, RIP to Lincoln Square Lanes, since its fire and demolition was a huge loss to that stretch of Lincoln north of Lawrence.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-28-2017 at 09:53 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 10:45 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,454,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark116 View Post
Go out for a bit...get your feet wet. You don't have to stay out all night. Just baby steps for now ( I know it's hard...it almost makes you feel like a failure "LOOK WORLD! I'm unpartnered!")

Tell yourself, hey I'll just go for a walk. Then, stop in somewhere if it looks nice. Have a drink, if it feels right, order dinner. Just let the night unroll gradually and see where it takes you.

DO be careful, though, K? You don't have to meet a soul. Just breathe, relax.

The world is still your oyster.
Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago