Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:48 PM

17 posts, read 83,077 times

Advertisements

After years in the Southwest, I'm ready for an urban lifestyle. I visit London often and love the gaybility to be who you need to be there; it's the way the pound bests the dollar that keeps me out of Londontown permanently. I'm trying to find something that approaches it here and have heard numerous positives about Chicago's many charms.

What are some of the desirable Chicago neighborhoods for a gay, middle-aged, college prof who's semi-retired? I will be teaching but more at my leisure so location work-wise is not a stumbling block. I'd buy and can condo easily. I don't rally nightly, am not a barster, need tranquility, never snobbishly laud the merits of plays, operas, etc, want physical activity... just one of the guys who loves life, people, and a bit of fun... contented with himself as much as most of us can be.

Any suggestions about neighborhoods or activities for gays other than bar related ones available in Chicago.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 01:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
"Gaybility"?? Are you for real?

Anywho, Boystown is the center for gay (male anyway) life in Chicago. Halsted Avenue between Belmont and Grace is a fairly bombastic nightlife strip, but the side streets are tree-lined and relatively quiet. As for non-nightlife-related gay activities, I don't really have specifics, but I do know there are a lot of gay-oriented institutions/organizations in the Boystown area.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:20 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
There are several older gay gentlemen in my neighborhood of Buena Park, which is just a few blocks north of Boystown. Basically it's for people who like Boystown or Lakeview, but can't afford the space they want down there. Buena Park, the greater Uptown neighborhood, and Edgewater now include some of the gayest zip codes in America. However, they are still a little rough around the edges.

There are gay men all over the north lakefront, and I think you'd feel right at home in any of these neighborhoods. But the gay nightlife is definitely centered in Lakeview (which includes Boystown).

Old 03-16-2008, 12:07 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
Default Try Edgewater........

Try Edgewater. It is a very gay friendly neighborhood. I see gay couples all over and it's very normal. You won't get "the look" and the gay's and straight folks interact with eachother. You'll like Edgewater, also Andersonville is cool to. Especially the Clark St area. It's very,very gay friendly as it relates to entertainment. I'm a straight guy and I enjoy going on Clark St. lots of cool, fun and SAFE places.

Whatever you do, Best wishes and welcome to Gay friendly Chicago.

- Ron!

Old 03-16-2008, 02:50 PM

287 posts, read 1,027,866 times
I'd definitely look into Edgewater. It has the second largest gay population of any neighborhood in Chicago, but it's an older and much more chill scene than Boystown. There are many gay owned businesses and it's the home the Gerber/Hart LGBT Library which may also be able to hook you up with events that are more up your alley. Edgewater is also highrise condo-a-topia along the water. You'll have easy access to the lake with Thorndale Beach and (one of my favorite little spots) Berger Park.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:31 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Don't know if you'd consider the inner-ring suburbs but Oak Park and Berwyn have sizable gay and lesbian populations. It's definitely the older mature crowd as opposed to the bar scene folks you find in Boystown, et al. Many in fact are City veterans who moved out here to get an affordable old house, a yard and some peace and quiet.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:42 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
Try Edgewater. It is a very gay friendly neighborhood. I see gay couples all over and it's very normal. You won't get "the look" and the gay's and straight folks interact with eachother. You'll like Edgewater, also Andersonville is cool to. Especially the Clark St area. It's very,very gay friendly as it relates to entertainment. I'm a straight guy and I enjoy going on Clark St. lots of cool, fun and SAFE places.
YOU GUYS, suggestions like this is why I now automatically assume that every nice-looking, well-dressed man that I see in my 'hood is gay, hehe.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:43 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
I'm liking Andersonville and Oak Park for you, sir.

And Drover, I am fairly sure that "Gaybility" means of or relating to Clark Gable.

This gentleman clearly is dapper, and well-coiffed. A leading man's leading man.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,262 times
I think you would enjoy East Lakeview (I certainly do and don't do bars anymore). Halsted Street is about 3 blocks west of LakeShore Dr. You can live in East Lakeview, closer to the Lake and still enjoy the shops and people watching up and down Broadway, walk to Whole Foods on Halsted, Jewel or Treasure Island (both giant markets). Perhaps live in a quiet condo on one of the side streets that run east-west. Like the 600 block of West Cornelia for example(if you want to mapquest the area).

You would be surprised how quiet the side streets are yet offer you the ability to be in the middle of coffeehouse life at the Caribou (broadway and aldine) within minutes. Lots of gay men of all ages hang out there and many academics.

The express buses on Lake Shore Dr get you down to Michigan Ave mega stores in less than 10 minutes. Or, the red line train will fly you up to the heart of brainy Evanston (with a quick connection at Howard) or down to the Loop and points south. You can walk to the Borders and Barnes and Nobles both a stones throw from the corner of Clark and Diversey.

You might also enjoy the gayish Andersonville neighborhood which is basically 5200 N Clark going north for a few blocks and several sidestreets offer vintage housing similar to that on East Lakeview sidestreets.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:24 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,262 times
Also, I should have added that in East Lakeview you will have 4 large gyms (all pretty much 50/50 gay-straight) to choose from and you can simply walk through the "tunnels" that run under the Lake Shore Drive expressway and be in the park/on a running trail by the Lake within minutes. The trails/park go for miles up and down the Lakefront.

Should also clarify that the bars are pretty much on Halsted St between Belmont and Addison. However, there really isn't much spillover to Broadway which runs parallel to Halsted and is only one long block away. Broadway being the "shop and restaurant" street (with highest concentration of businesses staring at Addison and going south to the mega intersection of Clark/Diversey/Broadway where Borders is located. Also, Diversey is the border of Lakeview and Lincoln Park (another cool neighborhood just to the south that historically was slightly more expensive and a little straighter than Lakeview). In my opinion, the zip code for you is 60657. You will have your side street solitude and your urban life in one neat package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago