Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,512,047 times

Advertisements

I found this rather interesting... Has something to do with what I am constantly preaching about living near the lake and how it negatively affects the weather this time of the year...

Is it warm out yet? Season of icy winds off Lake Michigan is under way -- chicagotribune.com

Just another reason weather in the southern and far western burbs is better IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
really, you need to get over yourself.

i'm going to go brave the winds to go look at the gorgeous lake now. you go right ahead and drive past Walmart, and Chili's, and whatever else is nearby down there.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 AM

863 posts, read 2,785,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
I found this rather interesting... Has something to do with what I am constantly preaching about living near the lake and how it negatively affects the weather this time of the year...

Is it warm out yet? Season of icy winds off Lake Michigan is under way -- chicagotribune.com

Just another reason weather in the southern and far western burbs is better IMO.
How does living near the lake affect the weather?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
it's colder because the wind can get pretty insane.

but that ALSO means, when it's 90 something in the summer, and the wind IS coming off the lake, it's cooler. I don't even need an air conditioner.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
The lake really does make a difference. Even 2 miles inland, I notice a difference when I head towards the lake on my bike. Thing is, in the summer that's a GOOD difference.

Also, I must add that if warmer weather were my main selection criterion, I'd have a hell of a long list of places I'd move before I'd head to Naperville or Palos Heights.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
In general, its warmer in the fall/early winter, and cooler in the spring/summer.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:08 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
whoa, I lived in East Village in the summer.....I lived without an air conditioner on the second floor and I really wanted to die. I also drove a jeep w/out air conditing. My roommate had air in her car and we'd wait for her to get home and drive around. I never ever want to relive those days. Horrible!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:10 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,512,047 times
After getting over myself... To those that apparently CANNOT read, I never mentioned Chili's, Bennigans, whatever, only the WEATHER. Who in their right minds would rather it be cloudy and 40 degrees with icy winds, than be sunny and 65-70? In April mind you? And for those that boast the wonderful-ness to living near the lake in the summer, again you didn't read the article fully how it explains that due to the water warming over time, by June, the wind's percentage of time blowing out of the NE or E is greatly reduced... Meaning, little to no lake effect cooling. Ever hear or read about an urban heat island? Chicago is known to have one of the worst in the country. So where is your lake to cool you off then? Remember 1995? Hmmmmm some 600 people were killed off in that heat wave and that was right in the city alone. 1995 Chicago heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
After getting over myself... To those that apparently CANNOT read, I never mentioned Chili's, Bennigans, whatever, only the WEATHER. Who in their right minds would rather it be cloudy and 40 degrees with icy winds, than be sunny and 65-70? In April mind you? And for those that boast the wonderful-ness to living near the lake in the summer, again you didn't read the article fully how it explains that due to the water warming over time, by June, the wind's percentage of time blowing out of the NE or E is greatly reduced... Meaning, little to no lake effect cooling. Ever hear or read about an urban heat island? Chicago is known to have one of the worst in the country. So where is your lake to cool you off then? Remember 1995? Hmmmmm some 600 people were killed off in that heat wave and that was right in the city alone. 1995 Chicago heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know you didn't, but I said that I was going LOOK AT THE LAKE, braving the winds, rather than going to look at whatever might be in your neck of the woods, which if it's anything like the suburban mess that I came from in Tennessee, probably has a few Walmarts and Chili's scattered around.

Have you lived by the lake in the summer? There was maybe three days over this summer (July and August even!) that my non-air conditioned apartment was too hot - ONLY those days when the wind was not coming off the lake. The wind would get so rough sometimes, I had things blowing off the wall.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
whoa, I lived in East Village in the summer.....I lived without an air conditioner on the second floor and I really wanted to die. I also drove a jeep w/out air conditing. My roommate had air in her car and we'd wait for her to get home and drive around. I never ever want to relive those days. Horrible!
I live two blocks from the lake, on the sixth floor of a building in an apartment with a cross breeze. Of course it's worse further inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago