Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which north-south street would you choose?
Halstead 8 13.56%
Ashland 14 23.73%
Damen 2 3.39%
Western 30 50.85%
California 1 1.69%
Kedzie 1 1.69%
Other 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 10:15 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
That would be awesome.
I've often walked this, after visiting Chicago and seeing a Cub's game, but it does depend upon how hot it is. You get to know a city better by traversing it on foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Western for sure. First it's much needed and as many other's have said it's connects the train lines in some good spots. Aside from that Western once you get north of Logan Blvd, is very commercialized but not pedestrian friendly. I think it would definitely help make it much more walkable and only bring more to those neighborhoods.

To me Western is such a jarring street. I really wish improvements were made to it. It's such an eye sore from an urban perspective. Always felt it looked and felt more like it belonged in LA or Houston than in Chicago.
Yup, I kind of viewed Western as a street in Los Angeles. Wide, commercial, and not very attractive.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:33 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Yup, I kind of viewed Western as a street in Los Angeles. Wide, commercial, and not very attractive.
Right? Especially once you go north of Fullerton. Feels like it belongs in LA not Chicago.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:39 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
No doubt about it, Western. Not only is it a geographic center of sorts with several stops but it also divides the low income neighborhoods from the wealthy ones south of the Eisenhower. Such a line would help spur some development heading west and provide L service to some underserved neighborhoods.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I'll go along with Western. It would link five L lines and three Metra stations serving five lines.
What has a possibility of getting built, however, is a Bus Rapid Transit line along Ashland. But it would not perform as well. Even its backers admit it would be slower than traffic.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
Western, the whole length of the city. It would connect all the other lines up and bring metro transit to some very underserved neighborhoods.

Then, if the South Side sees revitalization, we'd ideally see East-West lines along 51st, 63rd and 87th, along with an extension of ME from South Chicago to Hegewisch. ME should be rolled into the CTA and given a metro schedule.

That would really make Chicago's transit world class, IMO.
I'd love to see a Western line going from the Brown line stop in Lincoln Square and end at 119th Street

I'm in Bridgeport. From here, it's very difficult to go directly north to places like Pilsen and the Medical District. I usually have to get on two buses, or catch the L to the loop, then transfer to pink line. Not ideal. Having a Western L-train would mean I could walk/take a bus to the L, then head straight up.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:06 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Harlem Ave.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:49 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Harlem Ave.
Not enough there. What is now the Pink Line used to run out to Oak Park Avenue in Berwyn, and land was set aside to expand that out to Harlem. That land is in fact still there. But it was never realized and, in fact, the Pink Line was even scaled back to 54th and Cermak in Cicero in the early 1950s.

I remember when I was in Berwyn the idea being floated to bring the L back out to OPA or even to Harlem. I thought it would make sense to ultimately take it out to the Loyola/Hines medical facility in Maywood, and maybe even loop it up to the Blue Line. But that was met with a lot of indifference, some hostility over losing the parking in the Vacin Fairway, and certainly no serious proposals.

So until there's interest to do that, I very highly doubt you'll see any talk of a Harlem north-south line. It would basically be a train standing as an island by itself not connecting anything of note.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:28 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,105,917 times
Western is a bit too far east imo.

And Cicero, it isn't Chicago between 1200 S. and 3900 S.

Red Line North side is mostly 1000 W., and South side, at 0. W.

So Western 2400 W. is too close on the North side, especially considering the part of the Brown Line that is north-south at 1800 W.

So more like Pulaski.

So I'd pick Pulaski for the North side, and Kedzie for the South side.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:19 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,545,587 times
Clinton! Not only is the West Loop already under-served by rail, given the huge Metra terminals and the huge-and-growing office market, but the riverfront to the north and south is also quickly filling in with new high-rise residential. Plus, it ties in very nicely to the existing Blue and Red Line subways.

Central Area Committee Pushing New Downtown Rail Transit (Again) – Streetsblog Chicago

Sorry to burst the neighborhoods' bubble, but adding new subways through low-rise areas isn't nearly as cost-effective as adding new lines in high-rise areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago