Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:36 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,498,956 times

Advertisements

Emanuel's New Infrastructure Projects Could Create 40,000 Jobs | NBC Chicago

Nowhere did I see any mention of how he plans to pay for all of this?

I think he's just blowing hot air as he gets closer to his next election...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 PM

1,022 posts, read 776,674 times
I heard he was bragging about things he accomplished and that many of them were things Daley actually started. Typical of this so-called mayor

Old 02-09-2017, 10:35 PM

672 posts, read 758,922 times
I guess we'll see. In the meantime I'll stay focused on the state budget.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 AM

178 posts, read 371,668 times
Rahm is the consummate political survivor. I don't mean that as a compliment in any sense. He absolutely puts his finger in the wind and makes choices that he thinks will have mass appeal at the ballot box. He may have absolutely no plan on implementing anything that he says between now and the next election. The way that his immigration views have twisted and shifted over the years are a great example of this. I think that he has taken this hardline stance with Trump about the sanctuary status of Chicago because he feels like his relationship with the Black voters in town is damaged beyond repair. He thinks that he can win his next election by solidifying his appeal with the Hispanic voters in town and he probably already thinks he has enough of the White vote to nullify the large losses he will sustain in the Black community. My question is........is there anyone else out there that can mount a credible challenge against him? It would probably be best for the city if there was.

Democrats point the finger at Obama's chief of staff for immigration reform's poor progress - latimes

Old 02-10-2017, 08:45 AM

37,236 posts, read 39,509,972 times
This focus on the express rail to the airport is ridiculous. That express airport line can come in due time, but there are a lot of other infrastructure projects that need to take priority. If it were done as part of Crossrail Chicago, then sure, but even within that plan the priority should be on making Metra Electric into a rapid transit system connecting to and through-running out of Union Station first. Do the 16th street connector and rapid transit through Union Station first and then this express airport line can actually go to numerous useful parts for the fancy folks (McCormick Place, nah?).

Also, fix the stupid port. If you want to generate jobs for everyone, then concentrate on the piece of infrastructure that Chicago is geographically endowed with and helps make a slew of industries within the city and the metro more globally competitive.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:53 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,498,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird4Prez View Post
My question is........is there anyone else out there that can mount a credible challenge against him? It would probably be best for the city if there was.
Can we resurrect Bernie Epton? Now I'm showing my age...

Old 02-10-2017, 09:01 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,263,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This focus on the express rail to the airport is ridiculous. That express airport line can come in due time, but there are a lot of other infrastructure projects that need to take priority. If it were done as part of Crossrail Chicago, then sure, but even within that plan the priority should be on making Metra Electric into a rapid transit system connecting to and through-running out of Union Station first. Do the 16th street connector and rapid transit through Union Station first and then this express airport line can actually go to numerous useful parts for the fancy folks (McCormick Place, nah?).

Also, fix the stupid port. If you want to generate jobs for everyone, then concentrate on the piece of infrastructure that Chicago is geographically endowed with and helps make a slew of industries within the city and the metro more globally competitive.
I agree only partially. Some of the projects you mention are definitely worthwhile (especially Crossrail), but it's important to understand that starting something very central (and arguably, most global) such as the airport is critical as a starting point.

I kindly disagree that there should be any priority to the Port of Chicago. I'm just not sure the job growth in the west loop (etc.) requires it per se.

FWIW, the other (old) idea I like is the crosstown expressway. Move most of the trucks there to help eliminate more of the boondoggles toward the city center during peak times. See here:

Wikiwand)

Old 02-10-2017, 11:39 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,450,268 times
That would be awesome to see Metra electric converted into more of a mass transit more frequent line. Would be great for the South Side.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 AM

37,236 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I agree only partially. Some of the projects you mention are definitely worthwhile (especially Crossrail), but it's important to understand that starting something very central (and arguably, most global) such as the airport is critical as a starting point.

I kindly disagree that there should be any priority to the Port of Chicago. I'm just not sure the job growth in the west loop (etc.) requires it per se.

FWIW, the other (old) idea I like is the crosstown expressway. Move most of the trucks there to help eliminate more of the boondoggles toward the city center during peak times. See here:

Wikiwand)
The global part isn't going to feed into very much if it's just the airport to downtown. You want crossrail done first, because you then connect McCormick Place and Hyde Park which are important parts for international travelers. Going for the straight airplane shot is not useful.

Job growth in the West Loop specifically does not require work at the Port of Chicago--job growth overall for the city is better if the port is actually adequately. There are a lot of sectors in the economy and fixing the port addresses many of them and is a very low-hanging fruit.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,715,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The global part isn't going to feed into very much if it's just the airport to downtown. You want crossrail done first, because you then connect McCormick Place and Hyde Park which are important parts for international travelers. Going for the straight airplane shot is not useful.

Job growth in the West Loop specifically does not require work at the Port of Chicago--job growth overall for the city is better if the port is actually adequately. There are a lot of sectors in the economy and fixing the port addresses many of them and is a very low-hanging fruit.
In theory, I agree that the Port of Chicago should be a focus. But is there really any demand from the private sector to use it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago