Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:51 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,371,402 times

Advertisements

Round Lake Park is at least an hour away. Like others have said, you either need to be prepared for both husband and yourself to commute for at least an hour each way to any have a chance at that price point or rent. One area not mentioned is the suburb of Lansing, but only south of 80/94. Maybe able to find something there and have a slightly shorter commute. There are parts of the city on the southside that are fine, but they are definitely more expensive and you still run into the school issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 09:37 PM

14 posts, read 80,646 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for all the info! Everything was very useful--though a hard wake up call After much consideration, we have decided that we will have more luck staying in the south east for my grad school. Loyola and Chicago would have been so wonderful, but we just can't see a way to work it out. I've decided to go back to school much sooner than originally planned, so we will have our current mortgage to deal with while I'm in school. Your suggestions have encouraged us to consider renting for 2 years, which won't be so bad.

I'll just have to visit Chicago from time to time--what a great adventure that could have been!

Thanks again!

Old 12-06-2006, 09:35 AM

331 posts, read 1,545,962 times
Your husband should do well. This is Chicago after all. There are plenty a restaurant in downtown. If that doesn't work out, then there's a good chance he'll land a job someplace along the Clark or Rush St.
Moving here from NC is quite a transition. Definitely don't buy anything right away! 135K can only buy you 2bd/2bth place that you would want to escape after a week. You'll just throw your money to the wind, speaking of which there's plenty here...
Rent! His salary would probably be enough for you to rent an ok place on the northside along the lake. Maybe Edgewater, maybe even Andersonville neigborhoods. It'll be reachable by by public transport(Chicago Transit Authority bus and el - elevated train) for both of you.
Later, when you settle and learn your bearnings, you can start looking for a place that suits your needs and tastes, and use that 135K as a down-payment.
Good luck!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:09 PM

8 posts, read 6,009 times
For 130K, you might can find a "fixer-upper" on the far south side or near west side.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:30 PM

846 posts, read 1,402,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy K View Post
What do most of the adult grad students do for living arrangments?
I'm an adult graduate student at the Water Tower campus, in her 30s and have spoken many times in this forum about my love affair with, and current neighborhood of, Pilsen.

I rent. Because I don't want to worry about maintenance and repairs at this point in my life.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:46 AM

40 posts, read 128,797 times
I am sure Amy K has by now completed her graduate degree as the original post is dated 2006. In 2006, before the housing bubble $135k wouldn't have gotten her much in the buyers market.

For what it is worth, I am a Loyola grad student at the WTC and have been able to live comfortably and economically by moving to the south side In all reality, it took me 6-7 years of living in Chicago to be "in the know" regarding the right neighborhood, streets, building, etc.

If anyone else is searching for information about moving to Chicago for education, it should be know that there are still parts of the city that are safe, close to the CTA, and affordable (2bd room under 1k).

Old 02-19-2014, 12:12 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,579,078 times
kind of funny how things change, you could get a nice 2/2 near the RP/Edgewater campus for 135 these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago