Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 02:27 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Heh, just the transplants. I went to Arai middle school on Wilson, just east of Sheridan. Even as kids we all knew the area was bad, but not ghetto bad.

Yup. Blew my mind when I saw an upscale brewery/restaurant (Band of Bohemia?) open.
band of bohemia is great, but that's Lincoln Square isn't it? west of metra on ravenswood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 02:36 PM

306 posts, read 365,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
band of bohemia is great, but that's Lincoln Square isn't it? west of metra on ravenswood
Why yes, yes it is! I just never thought about it and considered it part of Uptown. The only reason I knew BoB was there was because I stopped by the Chase a block or so away.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:39 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Why yes, yes it is! I just never thought about it and considered it part of Uptown. The only reason I knew BoB was there was because I stopped by the Chase a block or so away.
It's very good. It got a Michelin star it's first year open.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:46 PM

306 posts, read 365,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's very good. It got a Michelin star it's first year open.
So I've heard. Have to try it out one of these days.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:47 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Heh, just the transplants. I went to Arai middle school on Wilson, just east of Sheridan. Even as kids we all knew the area was bad, but not ghetto bad.

Yup. Blew my mind when I saw an upscale brewery/restaurant (Band of Bohemia?) open.
Uptown changed pretty dramatically over the last decade. Shiller left office in 2011, which I think paved the way for additional development. And the recent closing of Carol's Pub, to me, signifies beyond a doubt that gritty Uptown is long gone. They'll probably put a Starbucks or a Panera Bread in that spot, heh.

Anyway, on that note, here are some great photos of the neighborhood in the mid-70s, when it was truly salty:

Chicago's Uptown: 1973-77 - Bob Rehak Photography

Old 01-25-2017, 02:51 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Uptown changed pretty dramatically over the last decade. Shiller left office in 2011, which I think paved the way for additional development. And the recent closing of Carol's Pub, to me, signifies beyond a doubt that gritty Uptown is long gone. They'll probably put a Starbucks or a Panera Bread in that spot, heh.

Anyway, on that note, here are some great photos of the neighborhood in the mid-70s, when it was truly salty:

Wow... I never knew that New Peking restaurant was once in Uptown. During the years I lived in Chicago it was in Lakeview, on Broadway just south of Belmont, although at some point during my last few years there it became a sushi place, IIRC.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:57 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Wilson and Broadway is thought of as hood by many North Siders. Malden, Seminary, and other streets have pockets of high gang activity. At least in 2006 this was still the case. The Blackstones were very active back then and not sure about now.
Sketchier in comparison to the rest of Uptown and other parts of the North Side, yes, but the actual hood? No. It's hard to be the hood when there's a giant Target a block away at Sunnyside and Broadway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post

The new alderman is certainly more pro-development. It certainly makes sense though, as Uptown is surrounded by arguably better neighborhoods on all sides at this point. Many of the former SROs in the old residential hotels have been gutted and completely rehabbed into apartments with tons of amenities specifically targeting Millennials. It seems to be working.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:47 PM

27 posts, read 34,953 times
Quote:
Wilson and Broadway is thought of as hood by many North Siders. Malden, Seminary, and other streets have pockets of high gang activity. At least in 2006 this was still the case. The Blackstones were very active back then and not sure about now.
back when i went to Truman (mid 2000s) there were plenty of P Stones or Stone Rangers or whoever/whatever they were and we actually had security going from classroom to classroom to warn students not to buy drugs on magnolia street. Not telling us to "not buy drugs" or "dont bring drugs to school" just, "stay the **** off magnolia" because several students got jumped within a couple week span

Old 01-26-2017, 04:59 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyost View Post
back when i went to Truman (mid 2000s) there were plenty of P Stones or Stone Rangers or whoever/whatever they were and we actually had security going from classroom to classroom to warn students not to buy drugs on magnolia street. Not telling us to "not buy drugs" or "dont bring drugs to school" just, "stay the **** off magnolia" because several students got jumped within a couple week span
This guy knows. "Uptown Alleyways where I slang the coke. The block ride under Fin so we bang at folks. It's Stoneville!"

Old 01-27-2017, 05:05 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,021 times
Quote:
This guy knows. "Uptown Alleyways where I slang the coke. The block ride under Fin so we bang at folks. It's Stoneville!"
Yep, fin is another word for 5-pt gang, including the Stones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago