Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 07:20 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Can't you get fresh food at any grocery store? Why does it have to be Whole Foods? If people in the area were buying fresh fruits and vegetables there would be stores selling them. If afraid the Whole Foods was built for,political reasons based on flawed logic. Logic being that poor people are overweight and unhealthy because they "don't have access to fresh food." Just like they don't have access to roads to run on to stay healthy of course these health conscious people don't smoke either.
What do you mean, "why does it have to be a Whole Foods?" Because Whole Foods decided they wanted to build one there, that's why.

Yeah, Englewood has lots of access to healthy food options It's also real easy to stay healthy running on those nice, safe roads in Englewood

Talk about flawed logic.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 07:31 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
What do you mean, "why does it have to be a Whole Foods?" Because Whole Foods decided they wanted to build one there, that's why.

Yeah, Englewood has lots of access to healthy food options It's also real easy to stay healthy running on those nice, safe roads in Englewood

Talk about flawed logic.......
Yes. Why does it have to be a Whole Foods to get fresh food when every grocery store has fresh food. It doesn't have to be an expensive Whole Foods. Whole Foods is geared towards affluent consumers. Duh. This was the whole point and question of the thread.

It's safe to run in englewood during the daytime. I used to work around there. Most of the violence is gang on gang late at night.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:05 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
I guess drug dealers can afford organic produce.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:05 PM

575 posts, read 615,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I guess drug dealers can afford organic produce.
The ones with any money shop and live in the burbs.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:26 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Whole Foods is very focused on their STOCK PRICE and that price is largely driven by folks that only read headlines. The reason that Whole Foods was sought out by Chicago has a lot to do with Rahm Emanuel's desire to NOT be perceived as somebody who doesn't care about anybody that can't throw huge money at his campaign fund. This meshed nicely with Whole Foods desire to not be seen as a firm that has already opened all the stores it can in pricey upscale areas... Whole Foods Plans Expansion in Smaller Markets, Underserved Areas - Capital Management - Retail Leader

Experienced grocery store operators like Bob Mariano is more cautious about trying to profitably run a store where the mix of customers that buy high profit items like fancy wine / microbrew / gourmet cheese is not as strong as in other locations but even they are willing to test the waters of Bronzeville -- https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...ville-marianos

The various factors in controlling costs for typical low margin grocery stores often clashed with things like union wages and the boneheaded strategy of Safeway to homogenize the once beloved Dominicks stores. This is counter to the strategy of other successful grocers -- The Smartest Supermarket You Never Heard Of

Old 12-26-2016, 12:26 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,457,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
The ones with any money shop and live in the burbs.
Sure. Their parents do at least. This has been completely flipped on its head with the millenials. Try to drive on i-290 on Thanksgiving. Outbound from city jammed. Inbound and I can peg my BMW M3's speedometer pretty much all the way up to the Post Office, LOL!

Old 12-26-2016, 01:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Yes. Why does it have to be a Whole Foods to get fresh food when every grocery store has fresh food. It doesn't have to be an expensive Whole Foods. Whole Foods is geared towards affluent consumers. Duh. This was the whole point and question of the thread.

It's safe to run in englewood during the daytime. I used to work around there. Most of the violence is gang on gang late at night.
No, not every grocery store has fresh food. Low income neighborhoods are often not served by full service grocery stores. Convenience and corner stores don't carry much produce at all. When they do carry produce, the quality of such items is often fairly low. Whole Foods is one of the few in Englewood that carries good fresh produce.

As for running, this is to an extent cultural, but to some extent it is because the residents do not feel safe in their neighborhood running around. First, gangs and crime might cause some worry. Second, a running black person risks being perceived by the police as a possible crime suspect.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:

You're clueless if you think every grocery store has fresh foods/fruits/vegetables, especially in neighborhoods like Englewood. I'm done arguing with you. It's clear that have no idea what you're talking about!!!

Old 12-26-2016, 05:18 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, not every grocery store has fresh food. Low income neighborhoods are often not served by full service grocery stores. Convenience and corner stores don't carry much produce at all. When they do carry produce, the quality of such items is often fairly low. Whole Foods is one of the few in Englewood that carries good fresh produce.

As for running, this is to an extent cultural, but to some extent it is because the residents do not feel safe in their neighborhood running around. First, gangs and crime might cause some worry. Second, a running black person risks being perceived by the police as a possible crime suspect.
Even outside Chicago poor people drive by full service grocery stores all the time and often live close to he same stores middle class and rich do, but they are still overweight and unhealthy because they are lazy. I grew up with people like that. I have former friends who have done nothing with their lives and don't make any money, who are overweight, don't exercise, and are just lazy. I don't live in a vacuume.

Another excuse for not exercising. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between someone who is running for recreation vs from a crime scene. It's called running shorts, shoes, headphones, their pace, etc....that's almost an insult to common sense.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Even outside Chicago poor people drive by full service grocery stores all the time and often live close to he same stores middle class and rich do, but they are still overweight and unhealthy because they are lazy. I grew up with people like that. I have former friends who have done nothing with their lives and don't make any money, who are overweight, don't exercise, and are just lazy. I don't live in a vacuume.

Another excuse for not exercising. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between someone who is running for recreation vs from a crime scene. It's called running shorts, shoes, headphones, their pace, etc....that's almost an insult to common sense.
Obviously, you have no clue at all. Most poor people in neighborhoods like this don't even have cars. Unless you are black and understand that the police don't care if you are running for some other reason, you seriously cannot understand the perspective of anyone in these neighborhoods.

In Houston, this happened recently:
Quote:
Just doing my daily jog after school then this old geezer begins to follow me but does not honk at first. So I started recording for my safety. After he handcuffed me and stopped the video from recording he put me inside his vehicle and made me answer all his question, what's your name, where do you live, what school you go to. Then on his radio they add another description that the suspect was wearing a blue sweat shirt and black pants....I had on a black hoodie with blue shorts......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago